• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

A poor judge of caricature?
One crime victim in Norfolk criticised a police e-fit (below right), saying although a thief had an unusual appearance he "didn't look that odd".

_87975890_efits-sketch.jpg

Image caption'He was odd-looking, but not that odd' said a theft victim, who described the man on the right to Norfolk police.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35422394

There is a nice clip on YouTube of a newsreader who laughs when he is given a very cartoonish drawing of a crime suspect. Then astonishment when the criminal is caught and he turns out to actually look that way.

Primark customer finds 'human bone' in sock

This little piggie went to market, and ...oh!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-46998873

Bizarre.

I wonder if it was put there in a customer return.

A friend of mine once worked in a Blockbuster store. One day she found a very small crucible wedged inside a VHS tape, presumably by a customer. Yes, by "crucible" here I mean a ceramic container for heating objects to high temperature. No explanation was ever found as to who put it there or why they did so. (Might have been the kind of thing a child would do, perhaps).

Last edited:
Casey Hathaway: Three-year-old boy missing in freezing weather for two days 'looked after by bear'

"A three-year-old boy who survived two nights alone in freezing woodland has said he was protected by a bear while missing......"

"Black bears are abundant in North Carolina and are not typically aggressive towards humans, although it is unclear whether the one which befriended Casey was real or imaginary....."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/casey-hathaway-three-old-boy-085205399.html

Fact or kids imagination? - It is possibly true.

It's not unbelievable. Similar things have happened with other creatures.
Although... it's the first case involving a bear that I've heard of so far.

I read the article - But I'm kind of going to believe the kids story.
Why? Seems to me there have been countless documented cases of different species of animals raising
offspring of other species - And a 3 year old might be both interesting and non-threatening to a bear.

Also, since the kid had not yet developed the natural fear response that an adult would have the bear
would sense this - Animals will often attack in the jungle when they sense fear - the kid acting curious
and seeing the bear as friend, even like a teddy bear, might have actually made a friend out of the
bear - In which case he was well protected by the bear.

Maybe one day when the kid is little older he could be hypnotized and, in the same way they hypnotize
so called 'alien abductees' to see what happened, we could find out what the kid really remembers.

I believe the bear story.

And in the meantime they could, if they still have them in original condition, could take the kids clothes
and analyze them for any sign of bear hair or DNA.

Now that would ironic.

Since Sasquatch has never been proven to exist - And yet numerous sightings have been reported

And since bears come in many shapes sizes and can stand upright on hind legs
- Possibly your so called sasquatch is a bear - behaving in a manner that makes it seem Human?

I was about to type "slow news day in Cornwall" then realised it's probably quite a busy one.

Back