• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Not sure this is the best thread to post to but:
Harry Price (of Borley Rectory fame) amassed a "Magical Library" of around 13,000 volumes on magic, parapsychology, witchcraft, psychical research and the like, which were bequeathed in 1948 to the UCL Senate House Library (Camden New Journal yesterday). Price was also an amateur Magician and Senate House has taken about 80 items to form the basis of a new Exhibition 'Staging Magic: The Story behind the Illusion' The exhibits include a first edition of Reginald Scott's The Discoverie of Witchcraft (1584), the first printed book in English to describe a magic trick; as well as the 1634 edition of Hocus Pocus Junior: The Anatomie of Legerdemain (sleight of hand). This last book set the formula for conjuring manuals over the next 250 years (including the rabbit-from-a-top-hat trick believed to be first performed by the 19th Century magician John Henry Anderson).
Anyway, Senate House Library WC1E 7HU until June 15 admission free. If I ever get a lunch-break I'll go and report back on its worthiness.

Blue smurf cats and dogs after Clacton ink fire

abluecat.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47094941

The damage to his car must cost a few squid.

The experience must have left squid marks in his pants too.

Colorado jogger chokes mountain lion to death after wild cat attacked him on mountain trail

ab23857697036f574ec12f3d2a4933a7

"
A jogger killed a mountain lion with his bare hands after the animal attacked him on a trail in the foothills of the Rockies.
The runner heard the wild cat behind him and, as he turned, it pounced and began savaging him, pouncing at his head, and clawing and biting his face and arms.
He managed to fend it off with his forearms and then jumped on top of the animal, somehow managing to suffocate it........"
See whole story here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-jogger-attacked-cougar-kills-102844416.html

Notice there are no witnesses - We are not getting the lions side of the story because:
1. He is dead and 2. Lions can't talk.

But no one should 'rush to judgement' - How do we know who attacked who first?

Could this really be a case of animal abuse?

Aren't Mountain Lions better than a lot of people you know?

But no one should 'rush to judgement' - How do we know who attacked who first?

Could this really be a case of animal abuse?

Aren't Mountain Lions better than a lot of people you know?

Please tell me you're just joking?

Please tell me you're just joking?

No, I'm AlienView - my cousin is 'just joking' - He no longer does any posting as he was eaten by a
rabid goat - He probably deserved it though - Knowing my cousin he was probably trying to
have sex with the goat! - And, seriously, sex with goats is a bad trip!

Last edited:
No, I'm AlienView - my cousin is 'just joking' - He no longer does any posting as he was eaten by a
rabid goat - He probably deserved it though - Knowing my cousin he was probably trying to
have sex with the goat! - And, seriously, sex with goats is a bad trip!
It's just baaa-aaa-aaad.

I know a Vet in Camden who could do an autopsy to see if the cougar really was strangled.

Colorado jogger chokes mountain lion to death after wild cat attacked him on mountain trailBut no one should 'rush to judgement' - How do we know who attacked who first? Could this really be a case of animal abuse? Aren't Mountain Lions better than a lot of people you know?

I think you misunderstand, the poor fellow was nearly raped by a woman twice his age. They wrote mountain lion, but they meant cougar.

Last edited:
Huffington Post says it's a hoax.

Elsewhere there are references to his murder by "Dadger Ben." The producer Dexter Yamunkeh appears online only in references to this tale.

The fact that the story was widely-copied does not, alas, make it true! :rolleyes:
I don't know weather to be happy or sad about this, it reminded me of that headline that was also false about the circus dwarf mortally trampolining (or however that's spelt) into the yawning hippo's mouth.

Some interesting Twitter comments in the article
Crash driver 'swerved to avoid octopus'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47144891

The plot thickens, the octopus has been found!
Octopus that man swerved to avoid has been found
The driver remains in custody for drug-driving
By
Jamie Hawkins
  • 08:34, 7 FEB 2019
  • UPDATED09:09, 7 FEB 2019

0_octopus-250101_1920.jpg
File picture of an octopus (Image: File image)
Get the biggest Daily stories by email
Subscribe
See our privacy notice
The octopus that caused a man to flip his car has been spotted.
A motorist was arrested on suspicion of drug-driving earlier this week after claiming he swerved to avoid the sea creature.
He remains in police custody accused of driving while under the influence of drugs.
Police in the South Hams arrested a man after an incident just before 5.30pm on the A381 between Salcombe and Kingsbridge.
Since the incident, the octopus in question has been spotted in a field where police found the car in a ditch.
View image on Twitter

etc

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devo...QgG8fYL4J5TpwpuJ2OMnpOGN_QGbEaGiUt75ACX5giIpI

Woman (age 40) renowned for seducing young men found dead.

The police will do an autopsy to see if the cougar really was strangled.

Woman breaks up fight between dogs before realising one is a mountain lion

Once again a Mountain Lion is in the news:

"
A woman intervened in an apparent fight between two dogs, only to discover one of the combatants was in fact a mountain lion.
The Idaho woman leapt into the action after spotting her dog facing off with another animal.
“As she pulled the two animals apart, she realised that in one hand she held a juvenile male mountain lion, about 35 pounds, and not another dog as she expected,” said the Idaho department of fish and game in a statement.
The woman called for her husband to grab a gun from inside their house in Mackay, Custer County.
“Her husband responded and quickly dispatched the mountain lion as she held on to it,” added the IDFG.
The couple called local authorities and an officer from the department arrived to collect the carcass of the cougar.
It will be tested at a wildlife forensic laboratory “to determine if disease may have played a part in the lion’s behaviour”, the IDFG said.
The woman and her dog both suffered scratches from the mountain lion but were “doing fine”,” the department added........."
See whole story here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-breaks-fight-between-dogs-190309480.html

And again we see clear cut abuse, and in fact murder of a Mountain Lion by a Human
- And you wonder why those hypothetical aliens spotted in those very real UFO vehicles refuse
to make direct contact with Humans - a species that kills animals that were minding their own
business.

- And as far as the mountain lion dog fight - I bet the dog started it.

Woman breaks up fight between dogs before realising one is a mountain lion

Once again a Mountain Lion is in the news:

"
A woman intervened in an apparent fight between two dogs, only to discover one of the combatants was in fact a mountain lion.
The Idaho woman leapt into the action after spotting her dog facing off with another animal.
“As she pulled the two animals apart, she realised that in one hand she held a juvenile male mountain lion, about 35 pounds, and not another dog as she expected,” said the Idaho department of fish and game in a statement.
The woman called for her husband to grab a gun from inside their house in Mackay, Custer County.
“Her husband responded and quickly dispatched the mountain lion as she held on to it,” added the IDFG.
The couple called local authorities and an officer from the department arrived to collect the carcass of the cougar.
It will be tested at a wildlife forensic laboratory “to determine if disease may have played a part in the lion’s behaviour”, the IDFG said.
The woman and her dog both suffered scratches from the mountain lion but were “doing fine”,” the department added........."
See whole story here:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-breaks-fight-between-dogs-190309480.html

And again we see clear cut abuse, and in fact murder of a Mountain Lion by a Human
- And you wonder why those hypothetical aliens spotted in those very real UFO vehicles refuse
to make direct contact with Humans - a species that kills animals that were minding their own
business.

- And as far as the mountain lion dog fight - I bet the dog started it.
She could have easily strangled it instead.

Back