• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

This'd be comical if the topic weren't so serious...

A group of 'furries' stopped a domestic violence assault and helped police make the arrest
fur.jpg

(CNN)Several members attending a furry convention in California on Friday helped restrain a man who was assaulting his girlfriend until police arrested him, according to officials.
Six people witnessed the assault at the annual Further Confusion, or FurCon, in San Jose. Furries are enthusiasts who celebrate characters and stories involving anthropomorphic animals, or fictitious characters that have human traits.
They said the man was assaulting a woman in a car, the San Jose Police Department said in a police report.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/21/us/furries-furcon-stop-domestic-violent-assault-trnd/index.html

Now they are married and living in a quaint two bedroom in Newcastle upon Tyne.
On a morbid note, I used to sometimes have to help prepare the bodies of patients who'd been certified dead on a hospital ward .. there's a whole way of taking rings off a dead person's finger, they (the fingers) sometimes looked a bit like the carrot in that picture. It wasn't fun.

... what does prehistoric mean in this context?

It's cited in the formal / strict sense of the term - "dating from a period prior to relevant written records." In other words, it means "dating from a time before anyone documented it" - a timeframe which may vary depending on the geographical / cultural context at issue.

The Bizarre Fight Over a Wealthy Biochemist’s Frozen Head Keeps Getting Weirder

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heirs...n-over-dads-frozen-head-keeps-getting-weirder
I think the head's original owner may have had better hopes of success with cloning. If his 90 year old body was not suitable for cryonics at time the body was received by the cryo company what would make the head a more suitable subject? My guess is that it would take up less storage room and boost the company's profit margin.

That's what I was wondering. I'm happy with that definition, it's precise - I wondered if they were being sloppy and using it as "a very long time ago" which was giving me problems with the preservation.

That's what I was wondering. I'm happy with that definition, it's precise - I wondered if they were being sloppy and using it as "a very long time ago" which was giving me problems with the preservation.

They wouldn't have been the only ones. In casual / colloquial usage "prehistoric" is most often used to simply mean "very ancient", and it's commonly taken to imply (e.g.) cave people, dinosaurs, primordial soup, etc.

The formal / original definition isn't strictly correlated with a linear time index. It alludes to the far (i.e., earlier) side of a relative boundary between undocumented and documented history. This "documentation" may either be records (broadly defined) produced by the given culture or records produced by others noting / describing the given culture.

I'm not sure what the current scholarly consensus may be on attributing this boundary condition.

There is a similar thing in folklore studies. People can get back to their great grandmother/father and then it becomes a historic present.

There is also a tendency to understand things as being from a particular monarch's reign, or an event - like "the civil war" in different countries.

Pre WW1 there is a notable habit of referring things to "Queen Anne's time".

On a morbid note, I used to sometimes have to help prepare the bodies of patients who'd been certified dead on a hospital ward .. there's a whole way of taking rings off a dead person's finger, they (the fingers) sometimes looked a bit like the carrot in that picture. It wasn't fun.
I expect the 'way' of doing it is to just lop off said finger? I mean, they're already dead, you aint gonna hurt em.

The peculiar thing about this story is that similar cases seem to happen more often than surely odds would dictate. I must have read 5-6 stories of rings being lost and subsequently found around vegetables within the past 10 years or so. The chances of such a thing happening must be astronomical.

The peculiar thing about this story is that similar cases seem to happen more often than surely odds would dictate. I must have read 5-6 stories of rings being lost and subsequently found around vegetables within the past 10 years or so. The chances of such a thing happening must be astronomical.
Thing is....what about all the lost rings which DON'T get found?
Clearly those are stories that aren't going to make it to the news.
This just in - Man loses ring.
However - Man finds ring around carrot................

It might also be that gardening work makes it easy to lose rings. This particular story has also been doing the rounds before.

This is a case of someone who got his cake and ate it too. Just swap cake for cockroach.

Japanese Man Dates A Cockroach And Eats Her After She Dies!

The world is open to any relationship when it comes to human beings or even a robot. However, dating an insect has made me finally say "I have seen everything in my life" Well, what's his story and why did he eat her? Read the full story to discover that...

Yuta Shinohara, a 25 years old Japenese man has been promoting insect-eating[entomophagy] all his life. He has collaborated with different restaurants and appealed people to eat insects. Well, his fondness of insects extended beyond the dinner plate.
http://toopanda.com/japanese-man-dates-cockroach-eats-dies/

I think this is another of those cases where the inverted commas have mistakenly been omitted from the headline.

It is no more possible to date an insect than it is to divorce a lampshade.

This one made me do a double-take ...

Towering dinosaur with radioactive skull identified in Utah

The story actually refers to a newly defined / recognized species of Allosaurus. The prototype specimen was discovered years ago without its head. The head was later located using a radiation detector. This can work because radioactive compounds can accumulate in fossilized materials.

https://www.livescience.com/new-allosaurus-dinosaur.html

"Headline" this morning on "Outlook" "general blurb of news items" spread on the Net: "AFRICAN LAKE TO DRY UP IN 500 YEARS". I had to feel that as environmental-havoc-we're-all-doomed-oh-the-horror-panic-stations announcements go, this was rather a weak one...

It turns out that the body of water concerned, is Lake Victoria: which it appears has already dried up and come back into being several times in the past 100,000 years. Damned thing keeps coming and going -- you can't get a handle on the goings-on...

Back