• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

“New Jersey mayor apologizes for passing out drunk and pantsless in employee's bed”

“New Jersey mayor apologizes for passing out drunk and pantsless in employee's bed”
uair01 didn't include a summary or link, but a little research gave me this:

New Jersey mayor apologizes for passing out drunk and pantsless in employee’s bed
By washingtontime -January 30, 20200

A New Jersey mayor has admitted to getting so sloshed at a work party that he stripped off his pants and passed out in a female employee’s bed.

Mahwah Mayor John Roth was exposed after an anonymous letter signed by “concerned employees of the township of Mahwah” began circulating last week, according to local reports.

The 71-year-old Big Apple-raised pol then admitted to Northjersey.com that he had “too much to drink” at a party at the employee’s house that was attended by about two dozen town employees on Jan. 10.

“I did go upstairs to bed,” Roth told the site from his office in Mahwah Town Hall.

Asked if he took his pants off before getting into the employee’s bed, he said, “Yes, that’s true.”`

The mayor’s wife, Andrea, eventually came and picked him up after partygoers woke him, he told the site.

It was not immediately clear what, if any, ramifications he would face for his drunken shame. The township attorney and Council President David May declined to comment about the incident.

The employee, who Northjersey.com did not identify, also refused to comment.

Roth — who was raised in Stuyvesant Town in the East Village with an FBI agent dad — blamed his political foes for spreading the rumors. “They’re leveraging it,” the mayor, who told voters to pick him for his “proper moral compass,” told the site.

https://thewashingtontime.com/new-j...ing-out-drunk-and-pantsless-in-employees-bed/

As the state lottery motto says, anything can happen in Jersey.

Because of course it is a good idea to build a giant robot, in Japan.

"We Must Reckon with Japan's 60-Foot-Tall Gundam Robot"
Mother of God, this thing can walk.

gundam-giant-1580313857.jpeg
Robot Jox, one of my favourite movies.

^ Bear Grylls' favourite tipple. ^

I'm still discovering how to do that on a smartphone...

Drag the interweb page displayed down/up so that the address bar can be seen at the top, press and hold on that address and it should all highlight (probably in blue) and give you the option to 'copy'. Select that and it will copy that address (as a link) to the memory in the phone (clipboard), then go to wherever you want to copy that address (the part in Fortean times messageboard where you are writing a thing) and press and hold in the box where you are entering your text and it will give you the option to put your 'link' from your 'clipboard' into the text by using the option 'paste?'. And bingo.

Let us take the Fortean time machine for a trip back to 1990 where this odd headline and story was originally found:

'Nightmare Death' Fells Thais, and Nations Bicker
A medical mystery about why young workers from Thailand should be dying in their sleep in Singapore has turned into an emotional debate about their living conditions in this wealthy city-state, straining relations between the countries.

It has also caused some Thai workers here, as well as some men in rural northeastern Thailand, where most of the workers are from, to paint their fingernails red. The idea is to dupe murderous ''widow ghosts'' who are hunting for husbands into thinking the men are really women, and thus letting them live.

A number of Thai and Singaporean doctors studying the problem have no more convincing explanation for the deaths, which are apparently not uncommon in northeastern Thailand, where they are known as ''lai tai,'' or ''nightmare deaths,'' and usually put down to supernatural causes.

So far this year, 18 Thais, nearly all of them construction workers with no previous symptoms of illness, have died in their sleep in Singapore.
https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/08/...are-death-fells-thais-and-nations-bicker.html

Could it be sharkfin syndrome? Like in the Philippines?

"The smitten prison guard admitted to detectives that she was "devastated" by events but still hoped that there was a chance her relationship with Warren might continue."

No more danger-sex, no more drugs being smuggled in, unemployed, in a different jail (as an inmate)... Call me cynical but I doubt he'll want a long-distance relationship.

I couldn't find this posted anywhere else on here. Probably a perfectly natural explanation for it, but...

Gigantic mystery 'skeleton' found washed up on beach by Storm Ciara baffling locals - via The Mirror (but has also appeared in the Scotsman, Sun and RT.

skeleton.jpg

"A gigantic 'skeleton' was found washed up on a Scottish beach during Storm Ciara.

And locals near Aberdeen have speculated that it could be the remains of the mythical Loch Ness Monster - despite the notorious body of water being roughly 120 miles away.

The photos of the rotting carcass were posted online by Aberdeen-based community Facebook page Fubar News - hours after Storm Ciara battered Britain with 90mph winds.

Fubar News posted: "Came across this weird creature today near Aberdeen. Any ideas what it could be?"

Possible suggestions of the identity of the mysterious North sea creature were put forward - with folk saying it was a whale, orca or dolphin.

However one Facebook user said the remains actual pre-date the storm.

Lyn Crawford said: "We saw this at Blackdog I think. It was rotting when we came across it in December."

But some users joked the carcass could be the remains of Scotland's very own Loch Ness Monster.

Meg Plummer wrote: "Oh me it’s Nessie the Loch Ness monster."

But Emma –Louise Bolland disagreed that the nation's favourite folklore monster, adding: "Nessie could not adapt to salt water."

Dex Stewart meanwhile joked: "Yep it’s a very very rarely seen deep sea Haggis."

Matthew Cook was convinced it dated back to the pre-historic age, writing: "At first glance I thought a brontosaurus but looking at the vertebrae in the skeletal structure I’m swayed towards a diplodocus/triceratops."

It is not the first time people have speculated over Nessie – who was first “spotted” back in 565 AD.

Loch Ness’s native monster was mentioned in the biography of Irish monk St Columba mentions a giant "water beast" dragging a man to his death."

Back