• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Mystery tree beast turns out to be croissant

Better safe than sorry ...

Croissant-Toothy.jpg
Croissant-Demon.jpeg
Croissant-Snails.jpg
Croissant-Monsters.jpg
Croissant-Croc.jpg
Croissant-Alien.jpg

Covid: UK town crier championships to be held in silence
  • By Ben Moore
  • BBC South
7 hours ago
The British Championships usually take place in public in a host town with up to 100 criers taking part
For the first time in its history, this year's British Town Crier Championships is being held in complete silence.
As the country starts to exit lockdown, the UK's top professional shouters will be judged on their written cries alone.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england...DyyGqVCn94MkEAbgsoRezZpe1KLHuObgKTQPA0s7I39PQ

Good grief.
What next?
This country's gone to the dogs.

Cheese rolling without the cheese, or the hill? Just a load of people stood in a field (2 metres apart of course) looking at a photo of cheese?
Karaoke without the music, or the singing? (Actually I'd like that)
Eisteddfod without the Eist or the stedd or the fod?

Good grief.
What next?
This country's gone to the dogs.

Cheese rolling without the cheese, or the hill? Just a load of people stood in a field (2 metres apart of course) looking at a photo of cheese?
Karaoke without the music, or the singing? (Actually I'd like that)
Eisteddfod without the Eist or the stedd or the fod?

Bog Snorkeling without snorkels, Caber Tossing without cabers and I can't see Swan Upping being much fun this year.

Self-proclaimed ‘Big Bird Bandits’ return $160,000 costume to Adelaide circus

Two men seen leaving the stolen Sesame Street costume with apology note were unable to be located by police dog squad

A $160,000 Big Bird costume has been returned after being stolen from a circus in Adelaide by the self-proclaimed “Big Bird Bandits”.

The 213cm-tall, bright yellow costume reportedly made of ostrich feathers, was found dumped near the south-western end of the circus, with a note saying “no harm” had come to “Mr Bird”...

... The note, which is signed off by “The Big Bird Bandits”, begins by offering an apology for taking the costume, and explained that the “bandits” were just trying to cheer themselves up.

“We had no idea what we were doing, or what our actions would cause.

“We were just having a rough time and were trying to cheer ourselves up,

“We had a great time with Mr Bird, he’s a great guy and no harm came to our friend.”

Just before signing off, the writers apologised for being “such a big birden”.

From The Guardian; full story here.

I do hope this shouldn't have gone in Fortean Crime :confused: or maybe Fortean Fauna? :conf2:

I like that he was only 'accused' of it.
If it ended up at court I wonder if he just didn't turn up and nobody noticed either, lol.

Considering what a terrible programme idea it is, I think your initial reaction is probably closer to the truth.
In fact they should replace it with a show called "Who gives a crap?" - A history of Britain's sewage systems hosted by....er....I dunno...let's go with Danny Dyer.
I bet it'd do better in the ratings.

Italian hospital employee accused of skipping work for 15 years
Civil servant gets reassigned to work at a hospital. Just stops turning up. No one notices for 15 years. He gets paid £464,000 before anyone notices.

Full story:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56822571
I worked with someone like that, the only difference was that he did turn up but nobody knew what he did. He just wandered around carrying a clipboard. When he was retiring someone said to him "What exactly do you do?"
He replied, "I'm an administrator."
"What do you administrate?"
"I don't know."

Considering what a terrible programme idea it is, I think your initial reaction is probably closer to the truth.
In fact they should replace it with a show called "Who gives a crap?" - A history of Britain's sewage systems hosted by....er....I dunno...let's go with Danny Dyer.

My mum and all her arts and crafts friends love this show. I will pass your comment on to them and they WILL find you.

I wonder if that show is produced by Peter Bazalgette, whose ancestor is famous for his sewers?

Must be a hell of a contract the TV company has him under if he couldn't just walk out. Was he under armed guard or something? Anything for ratings, including imprisonment?

Back