• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Proof that the UK has 'shadow forces' :oops:

View attachment 39008
1620379948322.png

More of a news story than just a headline, Lord Buckethead has rebranded as Count Binface.

Lord Buckethead lost his head due to a copyright claim by the owners of Gremloids. He is now back, as County Binface. However Lord Buckethead has also resurfaced, now with the blessing of the owners of Gremloids. They are now running against each other in the coming election.

https://news.yahoo.com/count-binface-former-lord-buckethead-195923283.html
-----------------------------
Responding to the unlikely re-incarnation of his former identity – whom he will now stand against, Count Binface said: “I look forward to both the hustings and to challenging the new ‘Lord Buckethead’ to take part in a receptacle-to-receptacle debate.”

Wonderful vote: Count Binface (Count Binface for Mayor of London): 24,775!

Giant spider crawls all over 34m space antenna in Canberra

spider&antenna.jpeg
Canberra's Deep Space Communications Complex is one of the world's most powerful means of looking into the depths of the Solar System.

So it would make sense that an alien spider the size of a football field would target it in its initial invasion of planet Earth.

That's not what happened, but that's what it looked like for a brief moment.

A security camera fixed on the giant antenna at Tidbinbilla had an unwelcome pedestrian atop it.
A huntsman crawled over the lens, making it seem like it was dwarfing the 34-metre wide deep space antenna. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.9news.com.au/technology...binbilla/57847fc0-13a3-483e-a053-272d3d5e1011

View attachment 39076
Canberra's Deep Space Communications Complex is one of the world's most powerful means of looking into the depths of the Solar System.

So it would make sense that an alien spider the size of a football field would target it in its initial invasion of planet Earth.

A security camera fixed on the giant antenna at Tidbinbilla had an unwelcome pedestrian atop it.
A huntsman crawled over the lens, making it seem like it was dwarfing the 34-metre wide deep space antenna. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.9news.com.au/technology...binbilla/57847fc0-13a3-483e-a053-272d3d5e1011

And I only watched 'Tarantula' last week!

View attachment 39076

An Antenna?
1620586451286.png

Cyclist claims Jesus of Nazareth actor's cockapoo bit him in London park​

Robert Powell, for it is he, claims his dog didn't bite. Though the cyclist did need to visit a hospital and required a tetanus jab...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-live-blog-11-may-2021-283239

(I go the theatre rarely but I like a crime thriller, so Mrs Cycleboy and I went to see Powell as Hercule Poirot a few years ago. He was truly dreadful, as if he couldn't have cared less. Talking about phoning in a performance...)

Man with box on head spotted walking down A37 yet again​

And another corker, this time from my own neck of the woods – the West Country!

The headline pretty much tells the story in its entirety, but it is definitely weird, and in my Dada- and Surrealism-loving teenage years I could imagine myself doing that, though he looks older than that (speculation on my part as you can see virtually nothing of him...).

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/local-news/man-box-head-spotted-walking-5400141

She doesn't look pregnant . . .
(But I still hope she's not flying anywhere soon.)

:willy: Zombie mink slaughtered due to coronavirus are 'rising' from mass graves :willy:

Last year, Denmark culled millions of farmed mink after coronavirus infections broke out amongst the animals. But in the following months, hastily buried mink carcasses began rising up from the ground, propelled skyward by the gases seeping from their decomposing flesh, according to news reports. ...

Most of the roughly 17 million mink carcasses were burned in waste incinerators, but due to limited capacity, about 4 million mink were instead buried in military areas in western Denmark, Reuters reported. ...

One of the mass graves lies near a swimming lake and the other near a drinking water source, which raised concerns of water contamination from local residents, Reuters reported. And not long after their initial burial, the mink carcasses began poking up through the ground, like a scene pulled from a bad zombie flick, NBC News reported.

In response to this disaster, the Danish government decided to excavate the mass mink graves, starting in May 2021, and that plan is now finally underway, Reuters reported. Per the plan, the 4 million mink will be dug up and burned at 13 central heating plants around Denmark by mid-July.

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/denmark-zombie-mink-mass-grave-excavation.html

Paltrow's Vagina-Scented Candle Explodes, Scaring Texas Man, Impressing Neighbors

Walk past Colby Watson’s home and you’d think he’s getting mad action from Gwyneth Paltrow.

e5ad06c6-3b68-4dc0-93e2-1b87102b4985-730x487.jpg

Vagina owner

The Texas man claims Paltrow’s candle, called “This Smells Like My Vagina,” exploded, spread Gwen’s essence everywhere, and could have killed him.

open-uri20201104-21194-17ggzjo.jpeg

The $75 candle, sold by Paltrow’s company “Goop”, comes with a warning:

WARNING: BURN CANDLE WITHIN SIGHT. KEEP AWAY FROM THINGS THAT CATCH FIRE. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS. TRIM WICK TO 1/8” BEFORE EVERY LIGHTING. PLACE ON A STABLE, HEAT RESISTANT SURFACE. KEEP WAX POOL FREE OF DEBRIS. DO NOT BURN FOR MORE THAN TWO HOURS AT A TIME. ALLOW GLASS TO COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE HANDLING.

Watson, who let the candle burn for three hours, believes the warning is “insufficient” and is starting a class-action lawsuit, claiming breach of warranty and product liability. He is seeking more than $5 million dollars. He claims the candle became engulfed in flames and exploded, filling the room with Gwyn-smoke.

A Goop rep told TMZ, “We’re confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product."

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...aring-texas-man-impressing-neighbors-n1448067

maximus otter

'I Woke Up To Blood Dripping on Me Through My Ceiling'​

https://www.newsweek.com/i-woke-find-blood-dripping-through-ceiling-1591626

"Then, in the early hours of the morning of Saturday, May 8, I woke up to the sound of drops falling, as well as feeling these drops on my arms and head. It was around 4 a.m. and I remember initially thinking it was a dream, then looking through my bedroom window to see if it was raining outside—but it wasn't."

Paltrow's Vagina-Scented Candle Explodes, Scaring Texas Man, Impressing Neighbors

Walk past Colby Watson’s home and you’d think he’s getting mad action from Gwyneth Paltrow.

e5ad06c6-3b68-4dc0-93e2-1b87102b4985-730x487.jpg

Vagina owner

The Texas man claims Paltrow’s candle, called “This Smells Like My Vagina,” exploded, spread Gwen’s essence everywhere, and could have killed him.

open-uri20201104-21194-17ggzjo.jpeg

The $75 candle, sold by Paltrow’s company “Goop”, comes with a warning:

WARNING: BURN CANDLE WITHIN SIGHT. KEEP AWAY FROM THINGS THAT CATCH FIRE. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS. TRIM WICK TO 1/8” BEFORE EVERY LIGHTING. PLACE ON A STABLE, HEAT RESISTANT SURFACE. KEEP WAX POOL FREE OF DEBRIS. DO NOT BURN FOR MORE THAN TWO HOURS AT A TIME. ALLOW GLASS TO COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE HANDLING.

Watson, who let the candle burn for three hours, believes the warning is “insufficient” and is starting a class-action lawsuit, claiming breach of warranty and product liability. He is seeking more than $5 million dollars. He claims the candle became engulfed in flames and exploded, filling the room with Gwyn-smoke.

A Goop rep told TMZ, “We’re confident this claim is frivolous and an attempt to secure an outsized payout from a press-heavy product."

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...aring-texas-man-impressing-neighbors-n1448067

maximus otter
Colby Watson wanted to smell Gwenneth's vagina?

The old tradition continues. Due to recent political events, the Morris Men now do their thing in Blueface.

WICKER FLICKER Druids burn 30ft wicker man as part of ancient May Day ritual

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14827986/wicker-man-burnt-may-day-ritual/
For once, The Sun's usually high standards of journalism have slipped.

The "tradition" of Morris dancers wearing black face is not that old, and was never very widespread. Most Morris dancers did not blacken their faces even in "traditional times" — i.e. before it was revived as a hobby.

The small proportion of modern sides (teams, clubs, but never "troupes") who wear face paint have worn a variety of colours for many years. Only a few have worn black. I have been a Morris dancer since 1983 and have attended many events where there have been several teams performing and I have only encountered dancers with blackened faces a handful of times.

There is no "governing body". There are three separate associations of independent clubs. The three separate associations have however worked together on this issue.

The BLM movement has only brought additional urgency for an issue that had been under discussion for many years. Although Morris dancers did not wear black face in deliberate imitation or mockery of black people, they were becoming increasingly aware of the potential for genuine misunderstanding and offence.

Finally, only a tiny minority of people involved in the Morris strongly believe that it had pagan origins, and only a tiny minority of those profess any personal pagan beliefs.

For once, The Sun's usually high standards of journalism have slipped.

The "tradition" of Morris dancers wearing black face is not that old, and was never very widespread. Most Morris dancers did not blacken their faces even in "traditional times" — i.e. before it was revived as a hobby.

The small proportion of modern sides (teams, clubs, but never "troupes") who wear face paint have worn a variety of colours for many years. Only a few have worn black. I have been a Morris dancer since 1983 and have attended many events where there have been several teams performing and I have only encountered dancers with blackened faces a handful of times.

There is no "governing body". There are three separate associations of independent clubs. The three separate associations have however worked together on this issue.

The BLM movement has only brought additional urgency for an issue that had been under discussion for many years. Although Morris dancers did not wear black face in deliberate imitation or mockery of black people, they were becoming increasingly aware of the potential for genuine misunderstanding and offence.

Finally, only a tiny minority of people involved in the Morris strongly believe that it had pagan origins, and only a tiny minority of those profess any personal pagan beliefs.
I had a friend whos surname was 'Morris', he told be the name derived from 'moorish', the north African tribes that settled in southern Spain, i was under the impression that the 'morris dancers' derived their name from a similar source and guessed that the blsck face make up was somethimg to to with this, i may well be way off the mark one this.

I had a friend whose surname was 'Morris', he told be the name derived from 'moorish', the north African tribes that settled in southern Spain, I was under the impression that the 'morris dancers' derived their name from a similar source and guessed that the black face make up was somethimg to to with this, I may well be way off the mark one this.
It is debatable at best.

One explanation is it comes from "Moorish", referring the black people who lived in north Africa.

One explanation is it comes from "Morisco": the Muslim population of Spain and Portugal. There are recognisable similarities to some of the dances from that part of the world.

One simple explanation is it comes from the Latin mos, moris, mores, (pronounced as two syllables) which means "custom".

It was typically spelled morys but sometimes morysk in early documents.

Other possible explanations are available.

However, we know that Morris dancing in one form or another was widespread throughout England and parts of Wales, with records going back to the 1600s or earlier. For example, six dancers and two musicians were arrested in Bradmore, Nottinghamshire, in 1618 for dancing on the sabbath. The way the record of the event was written suggested that Morris dancing was already a recognised and established thing rather than a new idea.

In the late 1500s or early 1600s, very few rural people in England or Wales would have encountered either Moors or Morescos (Moresci?) and most were probably unaware of their existence. Therefore the idea that it was deliberate imitation of Moors or Morescos seems implausible.

However, there are elements of the dance which could be interpreted as a parody of the courtly dances of the time, and some of the people who went to courtly dances would have had some experience of other races and cultures.

Also, a complete ignorance of other races has never stopped the English from having a clearly formed idea of what foreigners are like. A reference to the dances being "Moorish" may have been no more than an early expression of the same type of crude preconception that thinks all Americans are overweight and called Hank, or all Chinese are inscrutable and have names that make puns in English, or all French wear stripy T shirts and sell onions whilst smoking Gauloises and expounding existential philosophy.

Most Morris dancers who defend(ed) the use of black face colouring argued that it was a simple form of disguise.

Some promote the more tenuous argument that it was to do with scaring away evil spirits (much as every unexplained ancient artefact or monument was "ritual"). In some specific cases, it may be associated with the dances being performed by miners who would have had blackened faces because of their occupation.

I guess the rest of us can still kiss chickens though so that's okay. :chuckle:
Actually, Min, that's probably true. Here in the U.S., poultry and egg farming are conducted in a fair amount of filth, which is countered by a sterilizing cleanup after slaughter/collecting. I understand that the rest of the world keeps its chickens in a cleaner environment. This is why American eggs are stored in the refrigerator: they are heavily washed before packaging, which removes a protective layer. In countries where eggs are kept at room temperature, they aren't washed this way because they're much cleaner to begin with.

Back