• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

EDIT: Apologies, Bigphoot got this first,

Hot off the presses from Mid-Sussex.

Argument With Jacket

E2TpBFWWYAABwqk.jpeg

Last edited:

Man jailed for wrapping bandages around his head to take driving theory tests for others​

A man who was taking driving theory tests for other people by wrapping a bandage around his head has been arrested after his scam was discovered by staff members...

...The court heard that he had attended four different test centres in the south of England where he had a variety of excuses for his ‘injuries’ such as falling off a ladder and being struck in the head while working on a building site.

Linkety link.

Member of banned group breached anti-terror order for sex, court hears​

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57330519

The story refers to "The man, known as QT for legal reasons" but doesn't explain further. It also states that he got an 18 month sentence because he "had sex with a 'vulnerable woman'" in 2019. I can almost guess what the "vulnerable woman" euphemism means, but I am left puzzled by the "legal reasons" over the name. Can someone fill me in?

The story refers to "The man, known as QT for legal reasons" but doesn't explain further. It also states that he got an 18 month sentence because he "had sex with a 'vulnerable woman'" in 2019. I can almost guess what the "vulnerable woman" euphemism means, but I am left puzzled by the "legal reasons" over the name. Can someone fill me in?
Its usually to to with a court order, but as to why the court imposed this press restriction i have no idea, he may be facing more charges relating to the banned organisation and naming him could influence the out come of any upcoming trial.

He was formally monitored / restricted in relation to his terrorist connections. I presume his identity was kept confidential because he hadn't been convicted of any crime (and to minimize publicity concerning who was watching whom).

Nine Massive Waves of Deadwood Surge Across a Forest Floor Near Hamburg

glascher-2.jpg

As the fear of a second wave of COVID-19 swept through Germany in the fall of 2020, photographer and artist Jörg Gläscher decided to channel his own worry into a project that felt similarly vast and domineering. “I was working (with the idea of) the pure power of nature, the all-destroying force, which brings one of the richest countries in the world to a completely still stand,” he tells Colossal. “A wave is a periodic oscillation or a unique disturbance the state of a system.”

Between November 2020 and March 2021, Gläscher spent his days in a secluded location near Hamburg, where he gathered deadwood and constructed nine massive crests—the largest of which spans four meters high and nine meters wide—that overwhelm the forest floor in undulating layers of branches and twigs. Each iteration, which he photographed and then promptly destroyed in order to reuse the materials, overwhelms the existing landscape with pools of the formerly thriving matter. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2021/06/jorg-glascher-wood-installations/

One could have warned us that the linked article contained a graphic photo that no one wanted to see.

But it did have this interesting quote:
“Internally, we think it’s pretty similar to an echidna, but nobody’s ever seen an erect platypus penis, so we’re not sure if they only use one of their two heads at one time,” she said.

Back