• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Devil Gulch doesn't sound like an inland Bermuda Triangle, though, it sounds like somewhere Roy Rogers would head you off at the pass.
Totally! Dozens of "devil" named places around there. Is not far from Mount Diabolo. People thought it was a god-forsaken land, I guess. Then they found gold.

Distance from Kent to Cornwall is considerable, even for a car journey in the UK.
I expect that doing the journey by bus is quite remarkable
Try going from Ohio to California. And the "food"! The "food" along the way can kill you . . .
Indeed, once you include the amount of time you might have to wait at a stop for the next leg of your journey, and the frequency (or lack) of services, this could run into several days.
Sounds familiar, even for a trip across a city . . .

The Dali Llama has come out in support of Geronimo.
fpp,small,lustre,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

An odd headline but a sensible one...

Sri Lanka bans drunk driving of elephants as part of new protection laws​

Sri Lanka has introduced new animal protection laws that require domestic elephants to have their own biometric identity cards and ban riders from drinking on the job.
  • There are about 200 domesticated elephants in Sri Lanka
  • The new laws also protect elephants used in the logging and tourism industries
  • Those who break the new laws could face up to three years in prison
The new measures, aimed to protect the animals' welfare, include strict regulations around working elephants and mandate a daily two-and-a-half-hour bath for each creature.

Many Sri Lankans keep elephants as pets as a symbol of wealth.

But recently, there has been an increased number of complaints about ill treatment and cruelty of the endangered species.
ABC News: Sri Lanka bans drunk driving of elephants as part of new protection laws. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/sri-lanka-bans-drunk-driving-of-elephants/100398526

The world has been saved! Thank you, No-Penis Man!

Man, 39, cut off his penis and threw it out of the car window while he was being chased by police in Tennessee: Says he heard voices on the radio telling him it ‘would save the world’​

No word on how his penis would save the world, or if it was re-attached.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...threw-car-window-police-chase-Highway-70.html
Why, when people hear Voices, do said Voices always tell them to hurt others, or to go on a rampage, or indeed cut off their own penis?

I've never heard of anyone saying they had Voices in their head telling them to have a cup of tea or to watch an episode of Bob Ross' painting show or adopt a stray cat.

You only hear about the bizarre and extreme cases. There are mild mannered schizophrenics who hear voices telling them to engage in arts and crafts projects. I was acquainted with one some years ago. Very sweet person, but completely mad.

I have a friend who lives with schizophrenia. She has times that she will tell me that she is hearing voices. She then becomes slightly paranoid and starts talking about people watching her, that she is fearful of where she lives, that she does not like her (mental health) worker etc. Recently, she left me a phone message accusing me of laughing at her and said to F off. I ignored the message and did not call her back because I knew that she wasn’t 100%. I didn’t see her for a week and when I did, she apologized. She admitted herself to the hospital for a week to adjust her medications because she knew she was having trouble.

Schizophrenia is not an easy thing to live with, but despite the media covering the extreme cases, most people living with it are not dangerous. Odd thoughts and behaviours? Yes. But violent? No.

He was probably quite hard up.
The lawyer probably requested that he isn't given a stiff sentence.

Back