• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Mystery creeper ringing woman’s doorbell late at night turns out to be a slug

PRC_203955500.jpg

Full Story:
https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/08/myst...ate-at-night-turns-out-to-be-a-slug-15388799/

Is that a massive slug or is it really close to the camera?

Here's a ready made Fortean headline...
_120996850_cablesfour.jpg

Viking longboat knocks out power supply in Kirkcudbright​

A Viking longboat has knocked out power supplies in a south of Scotland town.
The replica vessel was in Kirkcudbright as part of celebrations for the arrival of the Galloway treasure hoard at the town's galleries.
It was being taken to a local primary school at about 10:30 when its mast became tangled in an overhead power line on St Mary Street.
SP Energy Network said only one customer had been affected and they hoped to have it repaired by 17:00.

Via BBC News

Here's a ready made Fortean headline...
_120996850_cablesfour.jpg

Viking longboat knocks out power supply in Kirkcudbright​

A Viking longboat has knocked out power supplies in a south of Scotland town.
The replica vessel was in Kirkcudbright as part of celebrations for the arrival of the Galloway treasure hoard at the town's galleries.
It was being taken to a local primary school at about 10:30 when its mast became tangled in an overhead power line on St Mary Street.
SP Energy Network said only one customer had been affected and they hoped to have it repaired by 17:00.

Via BBC News
Aaaagh! Pet peeve of mine. The Vikings had longships.

Longship: Viking ship powered by square sail or multiple oars, used in warfare and raids.

Longboat: a ship's boat used for things like transporting casks of water and other supplies, as well as crew, between the ship and the shore. In use from around 1500 (long after the Vikings) to the late 1700s.

Aaaagh! Pet peeve of mine. The Vikings had longships.

Longship: Viking ship powered by square sail or multiple oars, used in warfare and raids.

Longboat: a ship's boat used for things like transporting casks of water and other supplies, as well as crew, between the ship and the shore. In use from around 1500 (long after the Vikings) to the late 1700s.
If we are being really pedantic, Vikings used War Boats, Snekke, Drekkar and Skeid, (which were longships)

If we are being really pedantic, Vikings used War Boats, Snekke, Drekkar and Skeid, (which were longships)
Yes, although those words are not in common use in modern English, whereas "longship" is.

Even worse is when people refer to narrowboats as longboats — and yes, I've heard it done.

The rest is paywalled but the caption says:

For the first time in ten years, the painting Olympia is exhibited again after it was stolen from the René Magritte Museum in Jette in 2009. The perpetrators have never been found, the investigation has been completed. Nevertheless, some investigators remain convinced that suicide bomber Khalid El Bakraoui is behind the art theft.

Cool paining BTW, I didn't know this Magritte.
1634292425611.png

I see there's much more on this here:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/20...agritte-painting-inadvertently-fund-terrorism

900-year-old sword found encrusted in shells off Israel​

001877d4-800.jpg

A sword believed to have belonged to a crusader who sailed to the Holy Land almost a millennium ago has been recovered from the Mediterranean seabed thanks to a sharp-eyed amateur diver, the Israel Antiquities Authority has said.

Though encrusted with marine organisms, the metre-long blade, hilt and handle were distinctive enough to notice after undercurrents shifted sands that had concealed it.

The location, a natural cove near the port city of Haifa, suggested it had served as a shelter for seafarers, said Yaakov Sharvit, director of the authority's marine archaeology unit.

"Actually it's heavy", Sharvit said while holding the sword and talking about the Crusader knight who had probably fought with it.

"I'm trying to imagine him on the field with all the armour on him and the sword and fighting with it ... maybe they were bigger than us today but definitely stronger. And it's amazing," he said.

The sword, believed to be 900 years old, will be put on display after it is cleaned and restored, the authority said.

Via RTE.ie/news

I thought 'Mythbusters' pretty much proved this was unlikely unless the valve system used to empty the waste tank was faulty and a leakage occurred which froze the outer part until descent caused it to thaw allowing the deposits to fall off?

AFAIK they do not 'empty the tanks' in flight, but are pumped clear when on the ground?

Mystery of exotic infectious disease traced to aromatherapy room spray​

/"healing gemstones" in the spray may have been the culprit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/23/health/aromatherapy-melioidosis-mystery/index.html

"It was a mystery by any definition of the word -- a rare tropical infection that had sickened people in the decidedly non-tropical states of Minnesota and Kansas, as well as Texas. The first patient to get sick, in Kansas in March, died.
They all were infected with a bacteria known as Burkholderia pseudomallei, and the disease it causes is called melioidosis, marked by non-specific symptoms such as cough and shortness of breath, weakness, fatigue and nausea. It's most commonly seen in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Northern Australia, and is found in soil and contaminated water."

This headline made me wonder how anyone on earth could have missed its presence in Hawaii ...
New infant planet discovered by researchers in Hawaii

An international research team led by the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa has discovered one of the youngest planets ever observed. The findings, published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, estimate the planet is a "few times more massive" than Jupiter. ...
https://news.yahoo.com/infant-planet-discovered-researchers-hawaii-214505120.html

Back