• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

I was a scuba diver for many years and dived on numerous wrecks. I have never seen anything like this. It's almost like a filmset from a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Absolutely astounding. Most wrecks I've seen have been broken down and are covered in a thick carpet of sea life. You can see every detail of that steering gear. Amazing.
That's because it's all shot in an underwater set in Pinewood. Fact!

More seriously, the pictures are absolutely fantastic.

I went to an exhibition a few years ago (2015 by the looks of it - https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/n.../telling-the-story-of-shackleton-and-his-men/ ) at the Polar Research Institute in Cambridge. It was superb - a story that you wouldn't believe if it was fiction. I literally cannot imagine what it would have been like for him or his men; it would have been terrifying.

_123608783_largerwheel.jpg

Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic

Apparently it is not the intention to remove artefacts. I would have thought that there would be huge interest in being able to see these in a museum.

Apparently it is not the intention to remove artefacts. I would have thought that there would be huge interest in being able to see these in a museum.

Under the Antarctic Treaty that went into effect in 1961, artifacts related to Antarctic exploration are protected and may not be removed without prior approval and a permit - and then only for purposes of preservation / conservation.
The wreck itself is a designated monument under the international Antarctic Treaty and must not be disturbed in any way. No physical artefacts have therefore been brought to the surface.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541

Last edited:
Is that the case with the Arctic too? What if, say, someone found Roald Amundsen's plane and wanted to give him a proper burial?

Is that the case with the Arctic too? What if, say, someone found Roald Amundsen's plane and wanted to give him a proper burial?

As far as I know, there is no comprehensive treaty in effect that encompasses the Arctic region and addresses (e.g.) cultural / historical artifacts within the region but outside the territorial limits of any Arctic-bordering nation.

There's a complex array of organizations and international agreements regarding Arctic matters, but they primarily address economic, defense, territorial, and (natural) environmental issues.

Because the northernmost Arctic region is entirely oceanic, I suppose many possible legal issues are subject to the provisions of traditional maritime laws and treaties.

Last edited:

Judge warned for conducting hearing while driving​

I thought this was going to be in the US but no it was in Blighty - and the headline really does say it all. Madness.

The office investigatin him said: "The judge failed to meet the expectation to avoid conduct which might reduce respect for judicial office." No shit, Sherlock!

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/judge-warned-for-conducting-hearing-while-driving/5111882.article
I said 'Florida' to myself as I read the headline.

Judge warned for conducting hearing while driving​

I thought this was going to be in the US but no it was in Blighty - and the headline really does say it all. Madness.

The office investigatin him said: "The judge failed to meet the expectation to avoid conduct which might reduce respect for judicial office." No shit, Sherlock!

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/judge-warned-for-conducting-hearing-while-driving/5111882.article

I passed this on to my sister who is a criminal defence lawyer in WA and she said:

Odd. Having said that, once when a country court rang in I was in the pool and I did the appearance at the side of the pool.

Rescuer, who shot South Carolina man who fell into lake, acted in self defense, prosecutors say

After being rescued by a pair of pontoon boaters, Nathan Drew Morgan began assaulting his rescuers, officials said in a statement. Then, one of his rescuers shot him.
By Kalhan Rosenblatt
Once on the pontoon boat, Morgan became agitated, "and began assaulting the couple on the pontoon," the release states.

Officials said that it is believed Morgan wanted to return to the jet ski, which continued driving through the water despite having no one aboard.

In an attempt to deescalate the situation, the rescued woman pushed Morgan into the water. After bringing Morgan back onto the pontoon a second time, the man on the boat shot him, fearing for the safety of those on board.

Well, it wasn't Florida.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-lake-acted-self-defense-prosecuto-rcna20779

What kind of person starts fighting with their rescuer?

There are 3 clues repeatedly mentioned in the various news reports:

(1) The deceased jet ski driver (named Morgan) may have been intoxicated.

(2) Morgan's empty jet ski was circling in the water, and authorities stated Morgan may have been arguing about recovering it.

(3) Authorities state Morgan may have been arguing with his female passenger immediately before they were ejected from the jet ski.

Brave young man makes a Randi-like offer in the market places of Nigeria. Some disturbing details in this long article

<<Armed with a sharp knife, a megaphone and dressed all in black, Gbenga Adewoyin could have passed for a medieval witch hunter, a herbal salesman or an urban preacher as he walked around a market in the south-western Nigerian city of Ibadan.
Warning: This article contains details that might be offensive to some readers

Those curious enough to get close in the Gbagi market quickly dispersed when they heard his message. "Anyone that can provide any evidence for the existence of the supernatural, be it juju or voodoo magic, will be offered 2.5m naira ($6,000, £4,650)," he announced repeatedly in Yoruba and English.
The 24-year-old atheist has recently emerged as a rebel publicly contesting the powers of the supernatural in this deeply religious country.>>

Full story here

Last edited:
I said 'Florida' to myself as I read the headline.
I was going to ask, is "Blighty man" the UK's version of "Florida man"?

I passed this on to my sister who is a criminal defence lawyer in WA and she said:

Odd. Having said that, once when a country court rang in I was in the pool and I did the appearance at the side of the pool.
Obviously she hadn't planned on making a court appearance while dressed for a swim, but did she win the case?
:thought: Hmm, this could be the start of a whole new legal strategy . . .

Oh, excuse me, a coach party has just arrived. I shall have to fall off the wall, I'm afraid.

Back