• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

I stopped reading because it wasn't all THAT interesting to me, but damn, I wish all journalism was conducted with that attention to detail!
I concur with that. I gave up as well for exactly the same reason.

Although I like the idea of a mermaid that sues the sheriffs office.

Being Florida, wouldn't Fair have been within her rights to shoot the guy who put the ladder up against her house and climbed up it?

Being Florida, wouldn't Fair have been within her rights to shoot the guy who put the ladder up against her house and climbed up it?
Except he was a cop and she knew this. Add on :In no way do I condone shooting people.

Bomb squad called in after failed sniffer dog digs up live grenade​

Not much to this story of a mutt digging up munitions on a Norfolk beach except for the 'what have I done now ?' look on Luna.

Luna.jpg

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/bomb-squad-called-winterton-great-yarmouth-8917900

Johnny Depp blames 'burn Amber' text on Monty Python​

Mr Depp testifies that text messages he sent about burning and drowning his former partner Amber Heard were a joke based on a Monty Python sketch.

If he loses the case, I wonder if he's expecting the Spanish Inquisition?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61221859
Sadly, I have watched some of Depp's testimony. He's either incapable of stringing two ideas together without a script, or posing as a sad sack who can't be held accountable for any of his actions, past or present.

I do feel bad for his kids who have to be subjected to this whole show and who know it's visible to a multitude of gawkers.

Sadly, I have watched some of Depp's testimony. He's either incapable of stringing two ideas together without a script, or posing as a sad sack who can't be held accountable for any of his actions, past or present.

I do feel bad for his kids who have to be subjected to this whole show and who know it's visible to a multitude of gawkers.
I don't have an opinion on the rights or wrongs of the case which seems to involve two people I would cross the road to avoid, but I have seen some of the testimony.

A third possibility is that he is simply using his acting skills and improvising around a prepared script. People involved in major court cases may be heavily coached by their lawyers. The same, of course, goes for the other party.

Granddaughter charged with murder after pet duck leads police to body of missing woman

A granddaughter has been charged with murder after a pet duck helped US police to crack the case of a missing North Carolina woman, officials said.

Nellie Sullivan, who would be 93 if she were still alive, disappeared sometime in 2020.

Investigators have been searching for Ms Sullivan ever since without a trace.

But a breakthrough in the case came earlier this month, on 14 April, when a pet duck ran under a trailer in Chandler, North Carolina, which led its owners to discover a container holding the grandmother's body.

Buncombe County Sheriff's Office confirmed the report to Sky News affiliate NBC News.

Ms Sullivan's granddaughter, Angela Wamsley, 46, and grandson-in-law, Mark Alan Barnes, 50, have been charged with first-degree murder over her death.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/granddaug...rmj-0-FbJ_BIKnZt5pnRfmasA986TsfAXDaPGaRv0tave

maximus otter

The Deadly Accordion Wars of Lesotho

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-61097386?

Rivalry between stars of a unique accordion-based style of music in the southern African kingdom of Lesotho has sparked years of deadly gang warfare that has turned the tiny country into the murder capital of the continent.
I saw this story and nearly posted it. It's a bit close to home because I'm a Morris dancer and I know a few accordion players who should be shot.

More seriously, this story reminds me of an incident many years ago in Glasgow.

There is a fierce and bitter rivalry between the two football teams, Rangers and Celtic. One is supported by the Roman Catholic community, the other by the local protestant community. For an extremist part of each community, football seems to have become a proxy for centuries of sectarian hatred.

The incident in question involved a fan of one club being killed by a fan of the other club. The supposed provocation was that the murdered fan was defiantly bellowing "The Fields of Athenry" into the face of the killer.

The Fields of Athenry is a song, written as recently as 1979. It deals with themes of particular relevance to the Irish republican community. I remember singing it innocently at folk clubs in the early 1980s. A beautiful and harmless song was used as a trigger for pointless violence between members of two communities who disagree about how to worship the one true God of peace and love.

I have no interest in Scottish football, and no opinion on the rights and wrongs of the situation in Ireland — and certainly no axe to grind for any religious sect, large or small. I am merely highlighting the similarity of music/song being abused as a trigger for violence. What a world we have made for ourselves.

Toddler (4) rams two parked cars with his parents' car

In the Utrecht district of Overvecht, a 4-year-old boy collided with two parked cars in his parents' car yesterday. The police speak today on social media of "the new Max Verstappen", for whom the adventure ended with a anticlimax.

Officers received a report early yesterday morning that a young child was walking on the street in Overvecht, barefoot and in his pyjamas. The police took the boy to the station, because it was not clear where his parents were.

Once there, the police received a new report, this time of an accident with cars in Overvecht. A vehicle had hit two parked cars there, but there was no trace of the perpetrator. The causing car turned out to be in the name of the mother of the 4-year-old boy.

When officers called the mother and she spoke to her son on the phone, he began to make gestures with his hands from driving a car and a collision. "This gave us the suspicion that the child could possibly have driven," writes the police.

Eventually, officers went to look at the car with the boy and his parents. They asked him to show how the car worked. "The child opened the car with the key and put the key in the ignition. He started the car, went to the clutch with his left foot and stepped on the gas."

According to the police, it turned out afterwards that the boy had woken up when his father went to work. He then grabbed the car key "to drive around".

The boy's mother says she has a rather "enterprising" child. The police advise the parents to hide the car keys well from now on.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2427136-kleuter-4-ramt-twee-geparkeerde-wagens-met-auto-van-zijn-ouders

I find it a bit hard to believe that a 4 year could reach the peddles let alone depress the clutch and put the car in gear and then drive it.
Yep. Unless this 4 year old was really tall.

He's been put back together again! In all seriousness, it's amazing what doctors can do for people these days to turn their lives around.

‘I’ve had a penis on my arm for six years ... now I finally feel like a real man’​

A British dad was left with a replacement penis attached to his arm for six years after his original appendage fell off in the toilet.
A dad has finally had his new penis fitted in its rightful place after it spent six years attached to his arm.
Malcolm MacDonald whose old one fell off in the toilet, said his nightmare has been “put to rest” following surgery to hang it between his legs, The Sun reports.

“It was a nine-hour op”, the 47-year-old said.

“The first thing I did was look down and I was like, ‘Oh my days. They got it right this time’. I feel like a real man again.”
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...n/news-story/083b66b0499a65a6f7c84dc2b79db875

Back