• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Knick-Knacks

Amergin

Foundation and Umpire
I haven’t seen this specific topic elsewhere, so I shall take the risk of starting a brand new thread…

So, what what Fortean knick-knacks do you own? I am applying a very broad brush here, they can be any curios with a Fortean flavour, some association with a Fortean topic, or just the generally odd. Photos of said relics, descriptions of lost treasures, as you like.

I have quite a collection, so this could be fun...!

“We have such sights to show you.”

Loads. I am particularly fond of a souvenir model of Nessie which I believe was one of thousands made by a dedicated Nessie-hunter to help fund his ongoing search.

Techy has some heavy occult property. o_O

Aha were these the Fimo clay models that he sold lake-side?
ness1.jpg

Within arms reach of my desk chair is this (made for tourists) witch bottle from the Salem Witch Museum that I bought 3 years ago.
According to the rear its ingredients are:
Salt, Powder of Clove, Sprigs of Rosemary, Soil from Naumkeage (Salem. Mass), 1 Iron Nail (Rusted in White Oak Shavings) & The Domus- Defendio Charm.

salem.jpg

Within arms reach of my desk chair is this (made for tourists) witch bottle from the Salem Witch Museum that I bought 3 years ago.
According to the rear its ingredients are:
Salt, Powder of Clove, Sprigs of Rosemary, Soil from Naumkeage (Salem. Mass), 1 Iron Nail (Rusted in White Oak Shavings) & The Domus- Defendio Charm.

View attachment 41470
Needs more Witch urine.

I used to have lots of bits and bobs...but then, just like pretty much everything else I owned, I got rid of it.

I think all I have now are some flints from Arminghall Henge.

Loads. I am particularly fond of a souvenir model of Nessie which I believe was one of thousands made by a dedicated Nessie-hunter to help fund his ongoing search.

Techy has some heavy occult property. o_O
And here's Tetchy, with his glamorous assistant, predicting certain events that cannot be mentioned, due to a ban on politics...
s-l400-2.jpg

Some more stuff from my desk (taken off my desk to photograph because it's messy and looks like shit).

forteanstuff.jpg

Includes:
The Universal Waite Tarot deck - I've had this for years and can't even recall where I got this from.
The Ghosts & Spirits Tarot deck - bought off Amazon 5-6 years ago. It's quite surreal & beautiful.
A palm reading hand. We have sold these in our stores before and & quite like them so I took one. We also sell phrenology heads but I haven't brought one home yet.
Superstition dice bought on my last visit to Singapore.
A brass Ganesha my wife bought for me from a travelling antique saleman. No idea of it's age or provenance.
A plastic Thylacine - still hopeful.
Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling cards - bought online for $12. Some say these are highly accurate, some say they are evil and shouldn't be used. I haven't tried them yet, but I like to collect stuff like this.
and...
Le Petit Cartomancien French Fortune Telling cards bought from an Egyptian card reader around 2 years ago. Quite different from a Tarot deck and unlike anything I'd seen before. His reading was pretty spot on.

Last edited:
Mine falls in the “generally odd” category.
I collect antique mourning jewellery, particularly hair jewellery, or as my other half likes to call it dead persons hair. I started collecting many years ago when you could pick them up for pennies because nobody wanted them. Recently the price of them has shot up
I also have in my display cabinet part of a gravestone from the 1700s that I saved from a skip beside a cemetery about 30 years ago. My friends and family seem to think that’s a bit odd, with one of them saying that they couldn’t sleep at our house knowing that was in there.
I used to own a home made well used wooden ouija board that came in a job lot of stuff that a friend bought from an auction back in the 90s. She refused to even take it into her house as she said she got a bad feeling from it. I was happy to take it off her hands and it was displayed on a shelf for many years with no adverse effects. Sadly I gave it away to another friend who took a shine to it, only to learn later his wife had made him get rid of it (chuck it in the dustbin) as she didn’t like it. If I’d have known I’d have kept it!

Some more stuff from my desk (taken off my desk to photograph because it's messy and looks like shit).

View attachment 41604
Includes:
The Universal Waite Tarot deck - I've had this for years and can't even recall where I got this from.
The Ghosts & Spirits Tarot deck - bought off Amazon 5-6 years ago. It's quite surreal & beautiful.
A palm reading hand. We have sold these in our stores before and & quite like them so I took one. We also sell phrenology heads but I haven't brought one home yet.
Superstition dice bought on my last visit to Singapore.
A brass Ganesha my wife bought for me from a travelling antique saleman. No idea of it's age or provenance.
A plastic Thylacine - still hopeful.
Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling cards - bought online for $12. Some say these are highly accurate, some say they are evil and shouldn't be used. I haven't tried them yet, but I like to collect stuff like this.
and...
Le Petit Cartomancien French Fortune Telling cards bought from an Egyptian card reader around 2 years ago. Quite different from a Tarot deck and unlike anything I'd seen before. His reading was pretty spot on.
Love the thylacine! Where did you get that?

Sucky friend

I used to have a few of those... oh... sorry... different sort of sucky

Peruvian dream people

Do you mean worry dolls ?

I have a Canadian, East coast, First Nation shamans rattle. I bought it new from a shop in Vancouver. There were loads of amazing wooden masks which were out of my price range but I really wanted something from the culture. Happily the rattle, the only one in the shop, was within my means. I used to use it a lot (to change the energy of a room or clean someones aura) but the horsehair at the top kept falling out so I stopped.

I have a glasses case just like that!
I have a matching pair but not a matching pair of glasses as I lost the first pair in a mysterious vanishing incident (the glasses vanished not me) about a week after I got them

Back