• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Lego

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
The new minifigs collection includes a Lego Sasquatch (called Squarefoot), a banshee, a werewolf, zombies, a ghost and a vampire.

1371126687764137900.jpg
http://lego.gizmodo.com/the-new-monster-minifigs-collection-includes-the-first-1722077598

I haven't bought any Lego for decades but it may be time to do so once more.

Idea : Get a Lego mermaid and combine it with the Squarefoot. Make your own Fiji Mermaid...

I found Squarefoot!

I was hoping for the werewolf.

Oh I missed this. Am telling my Lego fan son. Think he stopped with the minifigs a while back but he'd love these.

Well, I have a Spider Lady, Zombie Cheerleader and Banshee going spare and they didn't sell on eBay :( Looking for Squarefoot and the Werewolf if anyone wants to swap...

I thought it would be fun to try to re-create Fortean scenes in Lego, but I didn't have the patience to do anything too good, so here's what I threw together quickly:

ZLegoCumberland.jpg

(apologies for the scattered bodies on the left - nothing to do with the image, simply collateral damage)

If you don't want to buy duplicates of these spooky Lego Minifigs, there is a unique code of dots at the bottom of each bag. This image shows the unique dot patterns for series 14 (monsters):

http://hnetinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Series143.jpg

Edited to add: the "dots" are really more like raised bumps on the backs of the bags, but visible if you tilt the packet in the right light. Also, I'm not 100% sure that the picture linked above has all of the codes matched to the correct figure. I used it with the express intention of buying a sasquatch and a gargoyle - the first was a success, but the second one turned out to be a lumberjack werewolf! Grrr...

Edited again for howler (spelling, that is, not the werewolf)

Last edited:
If you don't want to buy duplicates of these spooky Lego Minifigs, there is a unique code of dots at the bottom of each bag. This image shows the unique dot patterns for series 14 (monsters):

http://hnetinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Series143.jpg

Edited to add: the "dots" are really more like raised bumps on the backs of the bags, but visible if you tilt the packet in the right light. Also, I'm not 100% sure that the picture kinked above has all of the codes matched to the correct figure. I used it with the express intention of buying a sasquatch and a gargoyle - the first was a success, but the second one turned out to be a lumberjack werewolf! Grrr...
That link is a hotlink which is not allowed by the site's owner.

Sorry, Monstrosa, but thanks! The hotlink works for me, but you've given people an alternative if it doesn't work for them. As I said, the bumps are very hard to make out, so be prepared to look a little odd as you tilt the packets this way and that! Or sod it, buy a handful of random figures, and have fun swapping with your friends (which is probably the idea...).

I think that makes it a timberwolf.

Fair point, well made, but I still wanted a gargoyle!

Just gargoyle with salt water, cheaper than mouthwash.

I'm trying to get the timberwolf or brundle fly, no luck so far.

A man waiting for a prosthetic leg has created an amazing Lego alternative
Marc Cronin lost his leg back in 2014 due to complications with diabetes.

LEGO: IT’S NOT just child’s play.

Marc Cronin from the UK lost his leg after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes two years ago – he’s on the waiting list for a prosthetic, but decided to construct a Lego leg while playing with his daughter.

original
Source: u/1leggedcrow

His creation went viral after he posted it to Reddit, and Marc told The Telegraph that the leg just seemed like “a fun idea”:

I’m quite new to the whole amputation process and at the rehabilitation centre I go to there are a lot of guys just getting their legs. So I thought “Why can’t I have one now?”
Unfortunately, the leg is purely decorative – Marc can stand in it, but he can’t walk on it. ...

http://www.dailyedge.ie/lego-prosthetic-leg-2966431-Sep2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

Who says Lego ain't cool?

The coolest LEGO ® in the universe

Date: December 23, 2019

Source: Lancaster University

Summary: For the first time, LEGO ® has been cooled to the lowest temperature possible in an experiment which reveals a new use for the popular toy -- the development of quantum computing. A figure and four blocks were placed inside the most effective refrigerator in the world, capable of reaching 1.6 millidegrees above absolute zero (minus 273.15 Centigrade), which is about 200,000 times colder than room temperature and 2,000 times colder than deep space.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191223095357.htm

Never got to grips with physics (or atomic kinetics):
Absolute zero = -273.15 Celsius = 0 Kelvin
Room temp = 22 Celsius = 295 Kelvin
So how is the first figure 200,000 times colder than the second - is it an exponential scale ?

Never got to grips with physics (or atomic kinetics):
Absolute zero = -273.15 Celsius = 0 Kelvin
Room temp = 22 Celsius = 295 Kelvin
So how is the first figure 200,000 times colder than the second - is it an exponential scale ?
The first temperature is stated above your post as 1.6 milli Kelvin, or 0.0016. Room temperature is around 295K, as you say, and that's around 200,000 times higher than 0.0016. We don't need to invoke any exponential scale.

Yes 200,000 times higher but not colder surely ? I would have thought that ~150K was twice as cold as 295K (room temp), not a 150 times colder.

Yes 200,000 times higher but not colder surely ? I would have thought that ~150K was twice as cold as 295K (room temp), not a 150 times colder.
ls it because it’s a logarithmic scale, like decibels? (Genuinely clueless...)

maximus “Failed Sums” otter
I think we're over-complicating things! It's a bit misleading to talk of one temperature being 200,000 times colder than another - it makes more sense to talk about being 200,000 times hotter, since temperature is a measure of warmth, not cold! Nevertheless, it is a comparison that can be made mathematically, as long as the scale used is an absolute one, like kelvins, ie where the value of zero has some fundamental meaning.

So, a temperature of 295K (a nice cosy room temperature, as you say) is roughly double 150K, so it's twice as hot, or put another way, 150K is twice as cold.

295K is higher than 0.0016K by a factor of 184,375, so it's more or less 200,000 times hotter. If you like, therefore, 0.0016K is almost 200,000 times colder than room temperature.

It's a linear scale, not logarithmic, and only gets messy at absolute zero. That's fine, because absolute zero is unattainable!

Peri "managed to scrape a maths degree" part.

The new minifigs collection includes a Lego Sasquatch (called Squarefoot), a banshee, a werewolf, zombies, a ghost and a vampire.

http://lego.gizmodo.com/the-new-monster-minifigs-collection-includes-the-first-1722077598

I haven't bought any Lego for decades but it may be time to do so once more.

Idea : Get a Lego mermaid and combine it with the Squarefoot. Make your own Fiji Mermaid...

:hapdan:

EDIT: damn just re-read the thread and realised this was from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Back