• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Meet-Up Number 2

zarathustraspake

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Since the London "wot no UnCon?" meetup turned into a roaring success, we're doing another one. This'll also give another shot for those who sadly weren't able to make it the first time.

Starting point will be Viktor Wynd's Shop of Horrors in Hackney - an interesting little curiosity shop of suitably fortean delights.
http://viktorwyndofhackney.co.uk/

The schedule is still being finalised, and may change on the day due to weather, drunkenness, Essex Lion attacks, Tube closures or the onset of the Apocalypse. It is likely to include:

- the Museum of Childhood
http://www.museumofchildhood.org.uk/

- the Hunterian Museum in the Royal College of Surgeons
Apparently this contains "one of the oldest collections of anatomical, pathological and zoological specimens in the UK"
http://www.timeout.com/london/museums-a ... ian-museum

- Ripperology in Whitechapel

- An Austin Osman Spare-themed pub crawl in Kenningdon

For those who would like to come along, add yourselves to the Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/371384056273825/

Oh that all looks great! :D

*polishes walking boots* ;)

If I weren't up t' north I'd love to do it. I may get to one of these things one day.

*Thinks about the consequences of so much flesh on show* You'd better! :splat: [/i]

I suspect we may all look better with our clothes on. Or possibly in burkhas. :oops:

This one sounds good but I can't walk for long... :( maybe one day we can hire a room above a pub somewhere and tell each other scary stories whilst getting drunk. Then I'll be there [money allowing].

I was going to suggest that someone needs to do this in the Midwest (Wisconsin, perhaps), but then backed off, fearing that that someone might be me. :D

zarathustraspake said:
I suspect we may all look better with our clothes on. Or possibly in burkhas. :oops:

Speak for yourself dearie.

Dingo667 said:
This one sounds good but I can't walk for long... :( maybe one day we can hire a room above a pub somewhere and tell each other scary stories whilst getting drunk. Then I'll be there [money allowing].
Ditto Dingo. I just went to the evening pub bit of the last one. It was very enjoyable, but quite frustrating to hear what they'd been up to without me.

And why, pray, were certain parties not available for the earlier shenanigans? :lol:

Certain parties have dodgy ankles. I did mention it, but you were so outrageously drunk you hardly knew what anyone was saying. :D

A different story was current at the time, concerning over-indulgence the night before in a bargain wine delivery - 'Buy 2, Get One Free!' :lol:

Ah yes, Tescos and their ongoing mission to destroy my liver. There was that, but the ankles would have stopped me anyway.

beakboo said:
Ah yes, Tescos and their ongoing mission to destroy my liver. There was that, but the ankles would have stopped me anyway.

But...Beakboo...you can FLY!

:D

Not sure. It involves staying over somewhere because although I live in London, I'm right on the edge of it. (Also my husband refuses to use public transport due to his claustrophobia.) Works out a bit expensive to do too often!

Is this still on for Saturday? And if so, what's the plan, because I should be able to come but I'll meet up later (when you're pissed and I'm sober enough to hold a camera straight) :p

<tumbleweed>

Ever get the feeling that you don't exist, or maybe aren't wanted? I have a feeling a lot of PM's were going around saying, "You tell him... No, you tell him" :roll:

</tumbleweed>

Balls, I don't come here that often and I just saw this. Wish you had been there.

I have mentioned previously in this topic that something would be happening in Edinburgh in April of this year so here it is:-

April the 6th 2013 as part of the Edinburgh International Science Festival we are proud to announce Nessie at 80. A one day conference celebrating the first modern sighting of the Loch Ness Monster.

Tickets are £20 which includes a buffet lunch.

Numbers are strictly limited (c. 100) for this event
The following are taking part during the day
Adrian Shine (naturalist, Loch Ness Project): biology of Loch Ness/overview of geography
Roland Watson (author Waterhorses of Loch Ness): the pre-1933 history of Loch Ness monster/folklore
Paul Harrison (author The Encyclopedia of the Loch Ness Monster): history of Loch Ness 1933- 1971
Tony Harmsworth (author Loch Ness, Nessie and Me): Loch Ness 1972 to present.
David Martin-Jones (lecturer in Film Studies University of St Andrews) : Nessie on film.
Charles Paxton (organiser) (ecologist University of St Andrews): statistical analysis of eyewitness reports
Gordon Rutter (organiser) (author Ghosts Caught on Film 3): photographic evidence of the Loch Ness monster
Hypotheses for the Loch Ness monster: different explanations for the Loch Ness monster as both a non-monstrous and monstrous phenomena.
Adrian Shine / Paul Harrison / Steuart Campbell (author The Loch Ness Monster: the Evidence) / Roland Watson Panel discussion
Books will be on sale during the event and there are a couple of competitions which you can enter online – watch this space!
To buy tickets send a paypal transfer to Charles Paxton ([email protected]) for £20 – we will not issue physical tickets but if you could bring your Paypal receipt on the day we will match that to our list.

Sponsored by Kraken Rum

Back