• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Music Videos

I'm trying to remember the title of The Future Sound Of London track that sampled and looped Dead Can Dance vocals ... any help would be appreciated cheers board members!.

Actually, glad to see this thread re-opened. It's just reminded me about something I meant to post a while back, but forgot about.

Not exactly a "video" and maybe not strictly "fortean", but this is probably the best thread for it. There's a mystery involved!

Take a look at the opening theme / credits from the 1970 rock film "Groupie Girl".

What the hell is going on at 1:38 !!!??? :shock:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8g0hyEwztFg

skinny said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
Swifty said:
I'm trying to remember the title of The Future Sound Of London track that sampled and looped Dead Can Dance vocals ... any help would be appreciated cheers board members!.

Papua New Guinea

http://youtu.be/wfWMv8Y1V5E
Great track. Thanks for finding it again.

No probs! It's a classic and no mistake.

Worth checking out the Hybrid remix if you can.

emina said:
Take a look at the opening theme / credits from the 1970 rock film "Groupie Girl".

What the hell is going on at 1:38 !!!??? :shock:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8g0hyEwztFg

Yeah, I noticed that when I watched the film a few years ago, it does look as if the van clips a pedestrian and sends them flying. So obviously that's the take they used, no need for reshoots there.

Yeah, seems odd that they left it in. Having said that, if you watch closely, he seems to start falling over before the van passes. It's not clear whether it's actually the van that sends him sprawling. Maybe the guy collapsed and it's just a coincidence. Still pretty weird either way. Could it be deliberate? I can't imagine why mind. :?

emina said:
Yeah, seems odd that they left it in. Having said that, if you watch closely, he seems to start falling over before the van passes. It's not clear whether it's actually the van that sends him sprawling. Maybe the guy collapsed and it's just a coincidence. Still pretty weird either way. Could it be deliberate? I can't imagine why mind. :?

Holly shit! :shock: ..... looks like a genuine member of the public buckling under his own weight to me .... perhaps he just got a huge wiff of hippy BO and weed when they drove past ..

Swifty said:
... perhaps he just got a huge wiff of hippy BO and weed when they drove past ..

Actually, I think you might be on to something there! That's exactly what it looks like! :lol:

I suppose he maybe just swooned when he saw the devilishly handsome rock stars drivng past ... :roll:

... Actually... Nah! Your theory's more likely.

If you've seen the film his explanation IS much more likely (!).

Just today, I was thinking about how similar these songs sound, though it's probably just accidental-

Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty
Your Ghost by Kristin Hersh

then I realzed that both videos could potentially qualify as Fortean. The first features Tom Petty as a mortuary assistant who attempts to bring a dead woman back to life by romancing her (the final scene raises a question of whether it might have worked, IMO)

The second contains some seriously eerie dream imagery, somewhat inspired by Meshes Of The Afternoon. If dream/ nightmare imagery is Fortean, then this would then probably qualify. (Your Ghost is also notable for being the gloomiest song I've ever heard in my whole entire life)

Further note - Mary Jane's Last Dance is very much a music video of its time, and back in '93, it didn't even strike me as dark or creepy in any real sense. There was a very dark mood in hanging over everything back then, and this just seemed typical. Only in retrospect does it strike me as unsettling!

OK, here's one I didn't expect. I was watching the Sounds of the 80s red button show last night and dear old Billy Ocean was interviewed on it. Seeing as how they showcase the decade's pop videos on it, he mentioned one of his favourites was for his own track Loverboy. You read that right, Billy Ocean made a Fortean video for Loverboy:

Looks like a bunch of refugees from the Star Wars cantina indulging in some strange social ritual. I'd never have thought to check it out if he hadn't brought it up.

A slightly unusual factoid about Billy Ocean:

Following his time with Scorched Earth, a routine doctor's appointment discovered an extra pulmonary node central to his (Billy's) albeit medically normal lungs. This extra lung has been attributed with the longevity of Billy's singing career.

Years ago, I used to work with a guy who played bass on one of Billy Ocean's tours.

Does this mean with the extra lung power he doesn't need a microphone in concert? Funny, his speaking voice is very quiet and gentle.

Holly shit! :shock: ..... looks like a genuine member of the public buckling under his own weight to me ...
just watched the groupie girl clip, strikes me the pedestrian is a member of the (guerrilla) film crew manning that side of the zebra crossing to prevent a civillian getting in the way and ensure a continuous shot of the van going past

probably told to duck down before the van passed in the hope theyd be out of camera

I searched but couldn't find a specific thread on this. Edit: Thanks to the mod for merging, I honestly DID search but couldn't see anything related.

Prompted by this video popping into my timeline on other social media, with my interest being piqued by people commenting initially on how weird it was, and a couple of people musing on hidden meanings in both the song and the video. But Lana Del Rey's new track, called Chemtrails over the Country Club has (aside from the title) certainly got some Fortean content.

Link to the Chemtrails over the Country Club video on her official Youtube page.

Even if it's not your bag musically, stick with it at least till at least the middle / 2nd half of the song, it gets wilder. Not being in my usual musical range, has Ms Rey, expressed other Fortean interests, or done stuff with similar themes or is this an entirely new avenue for her?

Mr P

Last edited:
Even if it's not your bag musically, stick with it at least till at least the middle / 2nd half of the song, it gets wilder. Not being in my usual musical range, has Ms Rey, expressed other Fortean interests, or done stuff with similar themes or is this an entirely new avenue for her?

Lana's image and output has remained pretty constant over the years - rich, privileged Californian girl who nonetheless is thoroughly miserable because she keeps getting mixed up with bad boys.
I haven't listened to the lyrics on this new one enough to say whether it touches on Fortean topics or not. She does use a lot of cultural references so maybe it does, or she just thought it was a snappy title. I suspect the latter.
No idea about what the video means. The only other vid of hers I can think of which is a bit 'out there' is for Doin' Time. A take on The Attack of the 50ft Woman.

So,
has Ms Rey, expressed other Fortean interests, or done stuff with similar themes
I would say, no.

Goat Girl's latest video has a curious, arcane, ritualistic quality:

Was reminded of this album, Soft Rains by Zarelli, last week, and listened to it finally. Here's an extract:

It takes Leonard Nimoy's reading of a Ray Bradbury story from The Martian Chronicles and sets it to spaced out music. It's wonderful, and a valuable reminder of what an incredible voice Mr Nimoy had (except when he was singing, but he doesn't in this).

Back