• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Music Videos

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Can anyone think of any Fortean music videos? I remember back in the eighties, Kate Bush did videos for Cloudbusting and Experiment IV (sound weapons) that were pretty Fortean.

Ahhhhhhhh.....Kate Bush.......... I always liked 'Baboushka'; but staying on Fortean music videos, have you seen Tom Waits' 'In The Neighbourhood' from the mid-80s? Very wierd, Tom W was a shabby ringmaster leading a sad parade of freaks, carneys and circus folks through a run-down neighbourhood, all filmed in grainy sepia. Very sad. From around the same time there was Nik Kershaw's 'Wouldn't it be Good' where the lad himself was an alien in a white suit that reflected the future trying to get back to his planet (I think). Then there was Duran Duran re-making Raiders of the Lost Ark in 'Hungry Like The Wolf'. I used to have loads of these on tape; but these are the only ones I can recall at the moment.

While Super Furry Animals recorded the video for "God! Show Me Magic", their hotel burned down.

Ahh, well Cloudbusting was actually about Willhelm Reich, I believe. So the Fortean nature of the video is matched by the Fortean nature of the song.

Similarly for Experiment IV although that was nowhere near as good a song. (Low point of the album, really.)

Red Hot Chili Peppers-Soul to Squeeze off The Coneheads soundtrack was another carny-filled vid (also a personal fave just cos the track is fantastic)

Oooh and then there's one of Missy Elliot's latest vids too Pass that Dutchwith them thar aliens in it.

Smashing Pumpkins 'Stand Inside Your Love', with all the Beardsleyesque Nosferato business.

Borderline Fortean, but does it for me :)

Ahhhhhhh....Kate Bush

I think the 'Cloudbusting' video was directed by Terry Gilliam, a Fortean film maker if ever there was.
There was also 'Hounds of Love', which was inspired by 'Night of the Demon', and 'Big Sky' featured the ghosts of dead airmen and lots of Peter Pan-style rooftop shenannigans.

video thrilled

The Brothers Quay devised a terrific borderline Fortean clip for a group called His Name Is Alive .... can't recall the song title.

not swure if it is fortean, but aphex twin's come to daddy is freaky! like an andro man self portrait :)

The Brothers Quay devised a terrific borderline Fortean clip for a group called His Name Is Alive .... can't recall the song title.

they did two

His Name Is Alive is a rather gothic band on the 4AD label from Livonia, Michigan, damned near where I grew up. The Quays videos for them are spectacular, and go quite well with the eerie music.

Are We Still Married? (1992) ------ Can't Go Wrong Without You (1993)

Their filmic style is very similar to a Polish director who's name I can't recall off the top of my head.

Re: video thrilled

condreye buch said:
The Brothers Quay devised a terrific borderline Fortean clip for a group called His Name Is Alive
Didn't they also do those Tool videos?

sureshot

Aha's Take on Me, if you count a woman going into a comic book to have a love affair as Fortean.

Duran Duran's Wild Boys video was, at least I'm told, based on the writing of Willian Burroughs (the bit where they're tied to the waterwheel esp.)

Berlin did a very popular song that the title of escapes me now, the video of that IIRC was supposed to feature a character who was the ghost of an airman, though it was so badly done no-one could really figure out what was supposed to be going on.

The only recent one I can think of is Ramnstein's Sonne which has a woman dressed as Snow White and the bandmembers as the seven dwarves, you see her spanking them then later she shoots up in the bath and ODs:eek:

"under your thumb" by godley and creme is good aswell. its about a ghost

I thought Duran Duran's Wild Boys was more influenced by Mad Max.

Anyway, who can forget Thriller by Michael Jackson? A bit mainstream Fortean I suppose; but it did have those cool dancing zombies.

"Where's Your Head At" by Basement Jaxx is a video showing lots of monkeys, who are being experimented on, with the band members' faces, singing and playing instruments. It is mental.

Queen -Radio Ga Ga's Metropolis-inspired video! how could I forget that one?

BRF I think the song by Berlin you were thinking of was 'Take my Breath Away'?

Kate Bush.............sigh..........best not go any further!.........Anyway, Rocky Horror Show, need I say more, got the CD, video, DVD, seen it live, brilliant ,one of my favourites, you'd never guess. Time is fleeting.. ect

I saw the Basement Jaxx vid tonight & thought of this thread...

Nick Cave did an odd Vaundeville Bizarre vid for 'Straight to you'...red velvet drapes, painted comedians, the works. Quite freakish.

Didn't Travis do a Ufology themed vid?

How about pretty much any music video by Chris Cunningham? Whether it be Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy" with grinning bearded kiddies, and demon emerging from a T.V; to Leftfield's "Afrika Shox", with a voodoo cursed man, literally, going to pieces, in New York.
From the sublime to the ridiculous: Shakespeare's Sister "Stay", with Death coming for the soul of the boyfriend. What an acting job that would have been "Just lie there motionless, while these two goth's wrestle for your mortal soul"...

just for the fact of replying to a thread every once in a while!

foo fighters - everlong
the whole clip was a dream sequence, damn good song too.

nine inch nails - the perfect drug
dunno why, just the colours and scenery look fortean-like to me!

soundgarden - black hole sun
on the theme of the end of the world and quite amusing

Electric six - Danger High Voltage. There are flashes of paintings many of which appear to have fortean themes - templars, spontanious human combustion and a gaint squid playing the saxophone.

Of course Electric six are probably a fortean phenomina in thier own right.

cujo

I've only a hazy memory of this, but the video for Metallica's One used to freak me out.

In the video, which is either b&w film footage from the 50's'60's, or footage filmed in that style, there is a man (a soldier) lying in bed, in a coma. But the disturbing thing about it is that he is concious and aware, but trapped inside his body, unable to tell anyone that his mind is active.

Probably sounds rubbish how I've described it, but I recall the video being very strange and disconcerting.

Ah, that'd be 'One'. Excellant vid.

The vid to 'close to You' by the Cure is pretty odd...but then I'm having a Cure evening tonight, so I'll witter about little else for at least 4 or 5 hours :)

Do you mean the one where Robert Smith goes underwater with an Octopus?

Lullaby is another weird one as well.

Weirder still I've got that song playing atm.:eek:

Lullaby is odd...but Close to You is the one with the boyz in the wardrobe pushed over the cliff.

'Never Enough' took a tumble from the Peculiar Tree as well :)

Back