• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Music Videos

Cujo said:
Of course Electric six are probably a fortean phenomina in thier own right.
You could be right. The clip for Gay Bar has secret histories, cloning, and a gay conspiracy that goes all the way to the White House.

Can't think of anything Fortean in Dance Commander, though.

Their filmic style is very similar to a Polish director who's name I can't recall off the top of my head.
Jan Svankmajer? He's Czech and been inspiration to Quay Bros.

Watch out for The Automatic's "Monster" video, which features Nessie, Bigfoot and a flying saucer. Reminded me of the Goodies, although I'm sure nobody here looks like the investigators in the video.

Any idea what this video is about?

80s cheesyness... though damn good fun:D

Beyond that, god only knows. It's kind of like The Monster Club but with bondage :shock:

How about Bring Me to Life by Evanescence. Kind of dreamy, underwater, trollish, eerie quality about it .

There was one by Radiohead ( a band I always hear praised but know practically nothing about) called "Hail to the Thief" I believe. Furtive looking character runs through an increasingly enchanted forest, steals a coat I think, sees animals acting like people and winds up turning into a tree. Fantastic.

When I was younger I remember a video with a guy washing his face , glancing in the bathroom mirror and then looking down again to see the water had turned into worms. Don't remember the song but the video made a lasting impression on my childish mind.

Smashing pumpkins had some otherworldly, dreamy kinds of videos in the 90s. Or maybe they were more weird than fortean, I'm not sure.

If I keep at it I can go on and on.

glamour_dust said:
There was one by Radiohead ( a band I always hear praised but know practically nothing about) called "Hail to the Thief" I believe. Furtive looking character runs through an increasingly enchanted forest, steals a coat I think, sees animals acting like people and winds up turning into a tree. Fantastic.
There There by Radiohead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbL5jOK-6s I love this video.

Funny, I prefer Radiohead's videos to their music.

H_James said:
glamour_dust said:
There There by Radiohead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbL5jOK-6s I love this video.

Ah! I'd never seen the video to that before. Nice one :)

gncxx said:
Watch out for The Automatic's "Monster" video, which features Nessie, Bigfoot and a flying saucer. Reminded me of the Goodies, although I'm sure nobody here looks like the investigators in the video.

I just saw that this morning. I love that grooving yeti!

I know Nick Cave's Straight to You got a mention earlier in the thread, but there's quite a few great Nick Cave videos and it's just great music too.

I'd also recommend practically all the videos that 16 Horsepower made. Anyone unfamiliar with 16 Horsepower or is under the impression that Christian lyrics mean either Cliff Richard or some Inner London gospel choir are in for a surprise.

Black Soul Choir has some great black and white stop frame animation that creates a unseen spirit writing mysterious messages and drawings on a floor.

Clogger is similar to Cave's Straight to You but I prefer Clogger because it has clog dancing and sections of the song that are glossed in American Sign Language and just seems somehow odder.

Haw is sinister hillbilly with (southern) baptisms, more clogging and it ends with a hanging!

I don't know if it's already listed, but...

Michael Jackson's THRILLER

Darkness falls across the land
The midnight hour is close at hand
Creatures crawl in search of blood
To terrorize y'awl's neighborhood
And whosoever shall be found
Without the soul for getting down
Must stand and face the hounds of hell
And rot inside a corpse's shell
The foulest stench is in the air
The funk of forty thousand years
And grizzly ghouls from every tomb
Are closing in to seal your doom
And though you fight to stay alive
Your body starts to shiver
For no mere mortal can resist
The evil of the thriller!

Re: video thrilled

sureshot~ said:
condreye buch said:
The Brothers Quay devised a terrific borderline Fortean clip for a group called His Name Is Alive
Didn't they also do those Tool videos?

sureshot

Nah. Tool's videos are all directed 'in-house', so to speak, by their guitarist, Adam Jones. His style is very 'Brothers Quay-esque', though.

Cloudbusting by Kate Bush, with a Wilheim Reich, orgone powered cloudbusting machine:

Cloudbusting

Metallica's "All Nightmare Long" features Tunguska and chemtrails, amongst other things....unfortunately Youtube is blocking the vid at the mo....

:shock:

Ylvis has left the building!

While there's not much in the way of videos, you'll have to go a long way to find a more Fortean music artist than Julian Cope after his stint fronting The Teardrop Explodes. As well as writing - The Modern Antiquarian, an excellent book on megaliths, his albums explore shamanism, the Goddess and the plague that is Christianity.

The Loveboat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn6VJHfW4o4

I come from another planet baby.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z0-yLusQvE

Incidentally, if anyone knows where this footage used for Zoroaster comes from, I'd love to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7wWrz6pSvs

Back