Fortean Music

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Lovebug Starski - Amityville

(oops, sorry, just seen that there's another thread for these)

Last edited:

Ulalume

tart of darkness
The Way by Fastball.
IIRC, based on a real life elderly couple who just...disappeared.

By the way, Hotel California should probably be in the top three.
The first time I heard Hotel California, I had a panic attack - it scared me that bad! I was just a kid and didn't even know what the song was about. When a friend showed me the inside of the album cover years later, I wasn't surprised...

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Sorabji (1892-1988) is one of my very favourite composers, he lived in Corfe Castle and was a very private and interesting man with a deep interest in the occult which reflects heavily in his musical compositions; he met AC and AOS on seperate occasions, and wasn't impressed by the former I might add! He banned all unauthorised performances of his music.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Sorabji (1892-1988) is one of my very favourite composers, he lived in Corfe Castle and was a very private and interesting man with a deep interest in the occult which reflects heavily in his musical compositions;
I'll have to give him further investigation. :D on first listening he sounds a little like Scriabin.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Leonard Cohen namechecks Gloomy Sunday in this intro to his own song, Dress Rehearsal Rag

Dunno if anyone has ever done themselves in to Dress Rehearsal Rag.

Swifty

Leonard Cohen namechecks Gloomy Sunday in this intro to his own song, Dress Rehearsal Rag

Dunno if anyone has ever done themselves in to Dress Rehearsal Rag.
Hadn't heard that one, thanks OneWingedBird ..

I was lucky enough to see Cutler perform once. Definitely one of the quietest acts that I have ever seen. :)
Ivor Cutler used to live round the corner from us in Dartmouth Park when I were a little lad. Sadly, never saw him perform but have a load of old cassettes of his Peel Sessions somewhere, and some more recent podcasts. As with Spike Milligan, I've always found his stuff makes me a little sad, even when it probably isn't supposed to.

Sorry if it's been covered before:
Hauntology music from the likes of the Advisory Circle, Broadcast, the Focus Group, Moon Wiring Club etc. Check out Ghost Box music label.

It's music from the recent past 50's - 80's, mostly British, often based or sampling old public service broadcasts, music and sounds which have fallen out of fashion and become lost. It's the quaintness that makes the music feel fresh and yet unnerving. This would be a good example from the Advisory Circle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6blNm ... 03&index=9

or check out this mix which includes Belbury Poly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athisGqa ... 9DE4E52C5C
Good call. The Hauntological Society's website is worth a read too, although not primarily focused on the music.

Last edited:

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
I discovered the fascinating story of US singer-song writer and UFO enthusiast Jim Sullivan a few years ago, and for those that haven't heard of Sullivan and the story of his unusual & unexplained disappearance, I would recommend having a look at this article here, http://lightintheattic.net/releases/502-u-f-o

It's occurred to me before that Killing Joke, or even just Jaz Coleman himself, could probably sustain a thread of their own, such is the breadth and depth of their interest in occult / psychosocial / sociopolitical subjects.

Anyway, I won't be starting one just now, as I have a cold.

I discovered the fascinating story of US singer-song writer and UFO enthusiast Jim Sullivan a few years ago, and for those that haven't heard of Sullivan and the story of his unusual & unexplained disappearance, I would recommend having a look at this article here, http://lightintheattic.net/releases/502-u-f-o
How interesting - never heard of the guy. Looks like a jolly good read anyhow. Ta.

Swifty

Video on Spectograms and some examples of them .... I stumbled across these looking for good examples of backward masking and backward phoenetics ... these examples aren't strictly music although Richard James aka Aphex Twin has used this technique in some of his tracks .... mind you, I once watched him play two circles of sandpaper on his decks.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Which also handily brings us to Coil, Peter Christopherson's band after TG.

Far too many Fortean themed efforts but here's a couple.

Which borrows heavily from Blake's The Sick Rose, and

from the wonderfully named Horse Rotorvator album.

skinny

Antediluvian
Lisa Gerrard ~ The Silver Tree (full album)

Lisa Gerrard ~ The Black Opal (Full album as 12 separate videos)

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
She is perhaps my favourite female musician and definitely my favourite female singer! People are often moved to tears during her live shows. She's a very powerful woman spiritually, and physically beautiful. I remember a friend pointing out to me how she can be seen to ground herself by leaning and gripping her bench during certain intense vocal points in her live performances, which (in my opinion) is indicative of her ability to channel energy during points of true glossolalia. If you haven't heard it I'd recommend The Trail of Genghis Khan (2010) with Cye Wood, as well as her 2014 solo album Twilight Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cye_Wood&action=edit&redlink=1

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Here is another one of my favourite albums which I reckon is relevant for this thread :)

I also tracked down the complete Tegos Tapes collection a couple years ago, and was truly stunned; I recommend reading up on this mysterious private Vangelis release. Really interesting story behind their re-discovery.
http://thegrowingbin.blogspot.com.ar/2012/01/vangelis-tegos-tapes.html

Swifty

She is perhaps my favourite female musician and definitely my favourite female singer! People are often moved to tears during her live shows. She's a very powerful woman spiritually, and physically beautiful. I remember a friend pointing out to me how she can be seen to ground herself by leaning and gripping her bench during certain intense vocal points in her live performances, which (in my opinion) is indicative of her ability to channel energy during points of true glossolalia. If you haven't heard it I'd recommend The Trail of Genghis Khan (2010) with Cye Wood, as well as her 2014 solo album Twilight Kingdom.

Lovely stuff FrKadash ... reminds me a bit of early Liz Fraser/Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance ..

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Quite a few years back I had a go at creating some personal, experimental and ritualised soundscapes for occult use at the time. It was interesting to have a go, but I'm an artist by trade and have absolutely no musical ability whatsoever (other than with my old theremin). I have no ritual use for the track now as it just served a temporary purpose I guess o_O

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
That's a pretty good effort for someone who had no idea what they were doing. :D
:) It's funny, I couldn't tell you many details of how the track was made as I would often wake up the next morning with a new section recorded and no recollection of how I had achieved the results. I know it took about a week, and I know I did the best chunks of sound very late at night, but it's conception was odd, in that I seemed to be losing time those nights.

skinny

Antediluvian

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Untrue. The arrangement you posted shows a very good ear for tone, with some experience in the art of sequencing and rhythm. If that's an unexceptional effort, in your own opinion, I'd love to at least view an image of a sample of your artwork. Perhaps a wee share on my thread over here: http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/it-all-happened-in-a-creative-burst.57112/
Thanks for the kind words mate, I've just posted a couple samples for you over on your other thread.