Fortean Music

mr_nic

Explorer of the realm of possibilities...
I'm enjoying 'Occult Architecture Vol 1' by Moon Duo.

The album overall has a good psych/drone vibe and the songs are apparently inspired by the writing of Mary Anne Atwood, Aleister Crowley, Colin Wilson, and Manly P. Hall.

Worth checking out...

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Judee Sill: The Brilliant Folk Singer Who Immersed Herself in the Occult, and Her Haunting Legacy

BY JASON LOUV
2017/04/26

Judee Sill was the foremost talent of the 1970s Los Angeles folk scene. Then she vanished into heroin, Rosicrucianism and occultism. What happened?
The occult and music have gone hand-in-hand since Robert Johnson first went to the crossroads to trade his soul for Rock ‘n Roll. Aleister Crowley, the devil and 1,001 occult symbols have held sway over everyone from the Beatles to the Rolling Stones to Lady Gaga—it’s an obvious choice, something to go to in order to seem a bit more transgressive, a bit more dangerous, a bit more sexual.
http://ultraculture.org/blog/2017/04/26/judee-sill/#.WRSWNfnyuig

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Great Judee Sill song here:

I heard a documentary about her on the radio a couple of years ago, she wasn't really all that strange, just lost and tragic.

skinny

Antediluvian
Looking for the Else Torp vocal, I stumbled onto this version. Visually, Greenaway would have been proud. Or Vermeer. Hope it isn't a dreaded repeat post, but if it is, it should be seen again. Hm is that Ruther H at 6:24? :eek:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
House Of The Rising Sun - played by Tesla coils ..

You can get a high sound quality from a 'singing arc'... apparently the people who make this sort of vid tend to purposely make it sound like what people expect a tesla coil to sound like to make it more interesting.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Great Judee Sill song here:

I heard a documentary about her on the radio a couple of years ago, she wasn't really all that strange, just lost and tragic.
I managed about a minute before I wanted to throttle her, her voice is like autotune before there was autotune. :eek:

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Just saw this great photo posted on FB of Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, s/he was diagnosed with leukaemia last year. I saw Psychic TV play in June last year at The Fleece in Bristol, was a good show but seemed very short. S/he was wearing the ''Fuck Cancer'' t-shirt during the performance.

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge diagnosed with leukaemia
By Sam Moore Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm

The co-founder of the bands Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV revealed the diagnosis in a Facebook post yesterday (October 19), explaining that “serious treatments” for her chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia will begin next week.

“We kept hoping we’d be OK but today heard the illness has got worse this week. My sincere, oh so sad apologies for all of you who bought tickets,” P-Orridge wrote in the post, referencing Psychic TV’s upcoming tour dates.
http://www.nme.com/news/music/genesis-breyer-p-orridge-leukaemia-diagnosis-2152098

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Dance, Trance, and Devil Pacts: The Fiddler and Norwegian Folk Mysticism
March 30, 2018

In traditional Norwegian society, like absolutely anywhere else, there was only one way to become a master musician, and that was through meticulous practice and dedication, preferably under the guidance of a master. For many fortunate souls the teacher came in the form of a close relative, if not the father, then perhaps an uncle, and while most performers were probably born into such a tradition, folklore purports that alternative, and far more sinister educations existed. Particularly ambitious fiddlers sold their souls to the devil, while others sought guidance from the spirits of nature. For the best fiddlers, their craft may be described as a shaman-like path of initiation that made him a vessel of otherworldly, and often dangerous, musical experiences.
https://www.brutenorse.com/blog/201...pacts-the-fiddler-in-norwegian-folk-mysticism

Parabanal

Junior Acolyte
I picked this up at a boot fair today. It comes with its own booklet of ridiculous claims.

Music's not the worst either, to be honest.

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land
A children's song? I suppose. Trolling? Indeed.

I can't wait to see that they do for the video for "Sixteen Going on Seventeen".
I thought it was an older song, but it seems to have been made for Sound of Music. The song was so different from the original I didn't recognize it.