• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Video on Spectograms and some examples of them .... I stumbled across these looking for good examples of backward masking and backward phoenetics ... these examples aren't strictly music although Richard James aka Aphex Twin has used this technique in some of his tracks .... mind you, I once watched him play two circles of sandpaper on his decks.

Which also handily brings us to Coil, Peter Christopherson's band after TG.

Far too many Fortean themed efforts but here's a couple.

Which borrows heavily from Blake's The Sick Rose, and

from the wonderfully named Horse Rotorvator album.

Lisa Gerrard ~ The Silver Tree (full album)

Lisa Gerrard ~ The Black Opal (Full album as 12 separate videos)

Lisa Gerrard

She is perhaps my favourite female musician and definitely my favourite female singer! People are often moved to tears during her live shows. She's a very powerful woman spiritually, and physically beautiful. I remember a friend pointing out to me how she can be seen to ground herself by leaning and gripping her bench during certain intense vocal points in her live performances, which (in my opinion) is indicative of her ability to channel energy during points of true glossolalia. If you haven't heard it I'd recommend The Trail of Genghis Khan (2010) with Cye Wood, as well as her 2014 solo album Twilight Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cye_Wood&action=edit&redlink=1

She is perhaps my favourite female musician and definitely my favourite female singer! People are often moved to tears during her live shows. She's a very powerful woman spiritually, and physically beautiful. I remember a friend pointing out to me how she can be seen to ground herself by leaning and gripping her bench during certain intense vocal points in her live performances, which (in my opinion) is indicative of her ability to channel energy during points of true glossolalia. If you haven't heard it I'd recommend The Trail of Genghis Khan (2010) with Cye Wood, as well as her 2014 solo album Twilight Kingdom.

Lovely stuff FrKadash ... reminds me a bit of early Liz Fraser/Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance ..

Quite a few years back I had a go at creating some personal, experimental and ritualised soundscapes for occult use at the time. It was interesting to have a go, but I'm an artist by trade and have absolutely no musical ability whatsoever (other than with my old theremin). I have no ritual use for the track now as it just served a temporary purpose I guess o_O

That's a pretty good effort for someone who had no idea what they were doing. :D

:) It's funny, I couldn't tell you many details of how the track was made as I would often wake up the next morning with a new section recorded and no recollection of how I had achieved the results. I know it took about a week, and I know I did the best chunks of sound very late at night, but it's conception was odd, in that I seemed to be losing time those nights.

Untrue. The arrangement you posted shows a very good ear for tone, with some experience in the art of sequencing and rhythm. If that's an unexceptional effort, in your own opinion, I'd love to at least view an image of a sample of your artwork. Perhaps a wee share on my thread over here: http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/it-all-happened-in-a-creative-burst.57112/

Thanks for the kind words mate, I've just posted a couple samples for you over on your other thread.

One of my favourite sci fi films with a soundtrack by my favourite band :)

I read a Killing Joke album review a few years ago, and the quote I remember is "the sound of the Earth vomiting".
:cool:

It just occurred to me that this one might fit. "Pioneer To The Falls"' by Interpol, which is purportedly about the murder of Imette St. Guillen. or at least the title is. Before her disappearance and subsequent murder, St, Guillen had walked from the Pioneer bar to one called The Falls, the last place she was seen alive.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Imette_St._Guillen

In this light, the song seems even more grim than before, which is saying something.

A Bigfoot tune, done to the tune of KISS's Beth:

Choice quote: "Me and the boys are squatching, and we just can't find the sound"

Ahhh, Beefheart was a one-man musical genre.

Big Eyed Beans From Venus!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I love a bit of Captain Beeheart! I started reading his biography a while ago and it had some brilliantly weird stories in it. A highlight has to be the story about CB having a cupboard-load of sprouting poatatoes fall on him whilst high on LSD. He became hysterical thinking that an alien invasion was taking place in his kitchen

The Captain was a one-off that's for sure.

Who's the biography by? By all accounts he was a bit of a tyrant. According to Drummie, they spent months & months rehearsing for Trout Mask Replica more or less imprisoned in a remote cabin until they'd got all the parts worked out. Eventually after all that they recorded the whole album in about a day & a half.

A lot of his stuff suffers from cheap studio syndrome I think. I heard Ry Cooder recently talking about Safe as Milk, saying the original recordings were much better quality than the eventual album, having been recorded in a quality studio, but for budgetary reasons it was mixed in a cheap studio resulting in a sonically less satisfying album.

Funnily enough I'm going to see Gary Lucas who played on Doc at the Radar Station amongst others, in a few weeks.

The biography was by Mike Barnes. It has a black-and-white picture of the Captain on the cover that looks like it was taken through a car-window or something. Quite a lot of the biography seems to be assembled from magazine interviews as there are things that I've read elsewhere. A good read though. I'll have to finish it some time.

Funny you should mention the poor sound quality as I remember talking to somebody who said that they couldn't listen to any of the later recordings because of this. I guess the poor sound quality was deliberate on Trout Mask Replica though... Enjoy Gary Lucas!

Back