• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Surely a compilation should be called, 'Fortean Tunes'?

Oh and to add to the ridiculous list (which must now be the largest suppository of fortean songs in th world by now):

Charlotte sometimes, all cats are grey, the hanging garden, inbetween days, to wish impossible things, the 13th, jupiter crash, strange attraction (see above!), mint car, 3 imaginary boys, a strange day, the exploding boy, the man inside my mouth, throw your foot, why can't I be you?, just like heaven, the perfect girl, out of this world, Birdmad Girl, The Wailing Wall, Piggy in the Mirror, The Empty World, Bananafishbones - all by the cure

Old goths never die they just wear more make up ;)

dot

I agree dot...my boyfriend rose to the challange and wrote that...sorry. The most eclectic thing of all would be...I love candy floss and human entrails yum.:madeyes:

Well my selection of old chestnuts is......

Pink Floyd
Interstellar Overdrive
Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Cirrus Minor
Julia Dream
Echoes
Learning To Fly
Signs Of Life

David Bowie
Savior Machine
Cygnet Committee
Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed
Memory Of A Free Festival
Chant Of The Ever Circling Skelital Family
Life On Mars
The Man Who Sold The World

Procal Harem
The Devil Came From Kansus
Pandora`s Box

Space
Voodo Roller

Kate Bush
Experiment IV
Cloud Busting

Spray
Gothic

The Cuban Boys
Floresent Dream Beams
Data Crime
They Came

Rainbow
Tarot Woman
Stargazer

Fleetwood Mac
BlackMagic Woman

Ozzie Osborn
Mr Crowley

Wm.

Buffy theme...

Does anyone know the name of the Buffy theme and the band who did it?

I'd also like to know if you get the Angel theme anywhere on the net or on CD...
They're both very cool themes...

hi, Oracle. I myself am a big fan of both. I don't know the song titles of either but I do know the band names. Nerf Herder do the theme for Buffy and Darling Violetta do the Angel one.
I hope that was helpful and you can also find them.
Good luck!:miaow:

How about The Mystery of the Yeti albums 1 and 2? By ... erm ... The Mystery of the Yeti (?) or "various artists" or some such .... they are great ... produced by Twisted Records/TIP World I think ... and part of that great Simon Posford/Raja Ram family of groups, just about all of whose records (kinda ambient, kinda psy/Goa-trance, kinda world music) have some extra-terrestrial/cryptid/esp type theme ....

Thanks Carole...thats an anagram of Oracle...how quaint!

Music

"Cloudbursting"- Kate Bush I believe it was about Wilhelm Reich

This thread has had more replies to it than any other :D And a few of them or from me.

luce

Okay, the goth girl's turn!
Transylvanian concubine
Trust all Stars
The New Zero
Sign of the Zodiac
The Donner Party
-By Rasputina
Bela Lugosi's Dead
Hollow Hills
Stigmata Martyr
rosegarden Funeral of sores
Departure
A god in the alcove
King Volcano
Kingdom's coming
Party of the first part
Mask
Burning from the inside
-Bauhaus
Possesion
Lucretia, my reflection
-sisters of mercy
Whisper
Our world collide
-advent sleep
Vervain
the Unquiet grave
the silver circle
Rise and forget
the sea Angler
the dreams of macsen
the apparation
-faith and the muse
Winter's warning
the eyes of deception
-autumn tears
Creepy green light
all hollow's eve
Wolf Moon
Haunted
_type O negative
Dollhouse
Mine eyes
-switchblade symphony
I'm sure ill come up with more, but im tired!

How on earth did I miss THIS thread?? OK, I'm a latecomer on this one, but has anyone mentioned any songs by the Foo Fighters?

There's a guy down the chip shop swears he's Elvis (Kirsty McColl)
Ride of the Valkyries (Wagner)
Orpheus in the Underworld
Anything from Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Iolanthe' (all about fairies)
G&S Ruddigore (all about ghosts, witches & curses)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Beatles)
Ride a White Swan (T Rex)

I'll be back with more!
Carole

Seal Driver
Beastie
Jack-in-the-Green

All by Jethro Tull

10,000 Elves by Steeleye Span

Heres a few I didnt see in other posts(of course this thread is so long I'm bound to double up).

Unmarked Helicopters-Soul Coughing

Unexplained- Meat Puppets

My dark life-Elvis Costello w/ Brian Eno

Red right hand-Nick Cave and the bad seeds

Hands of death(burn baby burn)-Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper

All from the compilation "Songs in the key of X".

Fortean Muzak

I'd be interested in knowing if there are any bands out there who center their material around strange phenonema. I'm a pretty big Clutch fan, and their material covers aliens, conspiracies, rednecks, and other stuff that flies way over my head. Oh, and I'm not looking for Dead Kennedys/Rage/Amen/etc. anti-conformist (anti-EVERYTHING) stuff so much as bands that write about truely weird stuff. Thankya.

Well there's the ever-popular standby They Might Be Giants...

Some of the music from Rush might fit what you're looking for, their early stuff especially.

Some selections from Iron Maiden might fit the bill (I know they have two songs referencing the 60's TV series The Prisoner).

I'm afraid that's the best I can think of.

I SING IN A BAND CALLED SASQUATCH. AS WELL AS THE NAME OF THE BAND, PRETTY MUCH ALL THE LYRICAL CONTENT OF OUR MUSIC HAS A FORTEAN THEME. WE'RE PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN EXTREMES. EVERYTHING I WRITE ABOUT HAS SOME BASIS IN (REPORTED) REALITY. WE'VE SONGS ABOUT A DOCTOR PERFROMING A SEX CHANGE ON HIMSELF,(AS REPORTED IN FT), SASQUATCH, POLTERGEISTS, MAN ON THE MOON CONSPRACY AND ON AND ON THE LIST GOES. IF ANYONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS GODAWFUL DIN WE'RE PLAYING AT THE NIGHT & DAY IN MANCHESTER ON 4TH DECEMBER. I CAN GUARANTEE IT'LL BE LIKE NOTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD !

I've actually got Sigur Ros playing at this very moment. I have no idea what the lyrical content covers because it's in Icelandic but it's some of the most strange and beautiful music I've ever heard.

Is your name Earhorn connected with the fact you seem to need to SHOUT?;)

How about Eno and Byrne's Jezebel Spirit from the My Life in the Bush of Ghosts album. (You could justify calling that one Fortean just for the title). Jezebel Spirit uses the recording of an actual exorcism as the basis for the track.

Ooh, you've got me started now. (Sorry some of these are individual tracks rather than bands so I’m not really answering your question but I’m enamoured enough of my own taste in music to tell you anyway).

Aim, Cold Water Music ninth track Demonique which uses part of the soundtrack to Halloween. At least I think it’s Halloween it’s so long since I saw it. Whatever, Donald Pleasance is in there along with a lot of spooky choral stuff.

Siouxsie and the Banshees were always inclined towards the strange. Overground is a great scary track influenced partly, I think, by Stravinsky’s Rites of Spring. And, most bizarrely, the B-side to one off their 80’s singles was based around the young Elizabeth Bathory’s (of Dracula fame) witnessing of a gypsy being stitched up in the stomach of a dead horse. Easy listening or what!

Robbie Robertson. Not a fan of his at all normally but he did an album with The Red Road Ensemble called Music for The Native Americans which has a couple of very atmospheric songs. The final song Twisted Hair is very eerie indeed.

Kate Bush. The Ninth Wave (flip side of The Hounds of Love album) has all sorts of references to old gods, witches and other folkloric motifs as well as a sample from The Night of the Demon and at least one other horror movie I’ve never been able to place.

Julian Cope, Jah Wobble, Jim White, Nick Cave - all live in peculiar universes.

I love Hawkwind's Space Ritual , with all that Dungeons & Dragons Science Fiction stuff. Robert Calvert's poetry between the songs is all totally bobbins and some of the titles (Orgone Accumulator, Master of the Universe, Sonic Attack) speak for themselves. Its as loud as a very loud thing too! :D Michael Moorcock wrote a book about them too, and can be heard reciting some of his poems on the Warrior at the Edge of Time album.

Best rumour I heard about them was that they were going to do the music for the Doctor Who story Battlefield, something that I reckon would've improved it no end...

Ground Elder said:
Is your name Earhorn connected with the fact you seem to need to SHOUT?;)

Yeah, I read that in a loud voice (in my head) and now I have a headache...

Az

Some of the super furry animals stuff is about strange happenings (chuppacabras etc).

"Subterranean Homesick Alien" by Radiohead (on OK Computer) is about being abducted by aliens "late at night/in a country lane", and is rather nice.

I agree about the Super Furry Animals: some of their music is specifically about strange things (Demons could be interpreted as some sort of Illuminati-type conspiracy story, Chupacabras is about, well, Chupacabras), and their album "Mwng", although not all about the supernatural, does have a very ethereal quality to it, especially the last track "Mawrth oer ar y blaned neifion" (A Cold Mars Over Neptune). I suppose if I could understand Welsh, it wouldn't be so eerie :)

IF YOU'VE GOT A HEADACHE NOW YOU SHOULD HEAR THE GODAWFUL RACKET WE MAKE.

The psychedelic music of the 60s probably carved out a new field of Forteana for itself. Some say it was drug inspired, but with songs like "I am the Egg Man" and "(K)nights in white satin", who needed drugs?

Back