• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

"pologies if I've posted this before. Kirk is a massive Lovecraft-head.

How about the Cramps, (Zombie Dance, Voodoo Idol, Creature from the Black Leather Lagoon).

And The Independents always creeped me out. (They dressed in giant eyeball costumes, though I never could figure out what any of their music as actually about!)

Yeah, The Residents are the eyeball bunch. Definitely Fortean, especially as nobody knows who they really are (apart from themselves, presumably).

No lyrics but i was listening to Liszt's Mephisto Waltz earlier...fortean-ish and fantastic.

As we are now able to embed videos, close your eyes and listen to this:

Yeah, The Residents are the eyeball bunch. Definitely Fortean, especially as nobody knows who they really are (apart from themselves, presumably).

Ah, yes The Residents!! Sorry, my bad!:oops:

I did hear not long ago that the eyeball costume got stolen out of their baggage at an airport somewhere. Ah ha, here it is...

Eye eye: the Residents' giant eyeball is stolen
San Francisco art-rockers seek the return of stage prop worth an estimated $100,000

8beb1545-7ca4-42ec-91f6-80fc98c8dbf5-620x372.jpeg

The Residents … The photo that has gone missing. Photograph: San Francisco Police
Guardian music

@guardianmusic
Tuesday 26 May 2015 08.53 BSTLast modified on Tuesday 26 May 201509.01 BST

If you find yourself being eyeballed by a giant eyeball in a top hat, don’t panic – call San Francisco police. One of the huge eyeballs with which art-rock band the Residents concealed their faces has been stolen, and its owner wants it back – it is worth around $100,000.

The eyeball, along with a vintage photograph of the group worth $20,000, had been on loan to museums as part of an exhibition called Spectacle: The Music Video. After appearing at the Experience Music Project in Seattle, it was sent back to the band’s co-manager and collaborator Homer Flynn in San Francisco, via FedEx.

Unfortunately, Flynn was not at home when the package – containing the eyeball known as “Mr Blue” – was delivered, and a mystery thief signed for it and took it.

“My best guess is that FedEx left it on the landing of my building and someone took it. I seriously doubt that they knew what was in the shipping box,” Flynn told the local NBC affiliate. “At this point FedEx still claims to have made the delivery which was signed for, but the signature is ‘B Ham’. There’s no one with that name in my building and subsequent emails have indicated that no one was here when FedEx claims to have made the delivery.”

This isn’t the first time the Residents have lost an eye. On Boxing Day 1985, the “Mr Red” mask was stolen from the band’s dressing room at a Los Angeles show. Though it was returned, it was too damaged to use.

Last edited:

I do remember hearing this just the once, many many years ago [early 70's]. I was peaking madly, and wasn't really sure at the time that what I was hearing was real. It was so different to what we were listening to, and the records played were rather arbitrary [as you can imagine]. It was a hot summers night in Australia, I can smell strawberry incense and some type of black hash, and I do remember that there were a plague of christmas beatles [at least I think there was].

It is quite amazing the memorial hallucinations that the mind will capture and retain. Thank you OWB.

Orbital - Are We Here? .. I was fortunate enough to see them at Glastonbury in '94, the last one I attended and the year of this tune's release .. the artwork had God sitting on a throne in the clouds and wearing a virtual reality headset ..

I've been listening a lot lately to the album this is from, seems to be a one off project to do an album of Coil covers, wasn't expecting a lot when I ordered the cd, some of it really hits the spot though:

It's also busted a long standing modegreen for me, I always thought the repeated lyric on Ostea: The Death of Passolini was 'Guilt to keep the world turning', which is about what you'd expect of Coil. Seems to be 'Killed to keep the world turning' which makes more sense in context...

I'm enjoying 'Occult Architecture Vol 1' by Moon Duo.

The album overall has a good psych/drone vibe and the songs are apparently inspired by the writing of Mary Anne Atwood, Aleister Crowley, Colin Wilson, and Manly P. Hall.

Worth checking out...

Judee Sill: The Brilliant Folk Singer Who Immersed Herself in the Occult, and Her Haunting Legacy

BY JASON LOUV
2017/04/26

Judee Sill was the foremost talent of the 1970s Los Angeles folk scene. Then she vanished into heroin, Rosicrucianism and occultism. What happened?
The occult and music have gone hand-in-hand since Robert Johnson first went to the crossroads to trade his soul for Rock ‘n Roll. Aleister Crowley, the devil and 1,001 occult symbols have held sway over everyone from the Beatles to the Rolling Stones to Lady Gaga—it’s an obvious choice, something to go to in order to seem a bit more transgressive, a bit more dangerous, a bit more sexual.

http://ultraculture.org/blog/2017/04/26/judee-sill/#.WRSWNfnyuig

Great Judee Sill song here:

I heard a documentary about her on the radio a couple of years ago, she wasn't really all that strange, just lost and tragic.

Looking for the Else Torp vocal, I stumbled onto this version. Visually, Greenaway would have been proud. Or Vermeer. Hope it isn't a dreaded repeat post, but if it is, it should be seen again. Hm is that Ruther H at 6:24? :eek:

House Of The Rising Sun - played by Tesla coils ..

You can get a high sound quality from a 'singing arc'... apparently the people who make this sort of vid tend to purposely make it sound like what people expect a tesla coil to sound like to make it more interesting.

Great Judee Sill song here:

I heard a documentary about her on the radio a couple of years ago, she wasn't really all that strange, just lost and tragic.

I managed about a minute before I wanted to throttle her, her voice is like autotune before there was autotune. :eek:

I managed about a minute before I wanted to throttle her, her voice is like autotune before there was autotune. :eek:
Probably pitch correction through the use of multitrack recording?

Back