• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

1563497123588.png

Slipknot have released a new song called "Solway Firth". An odd name for a bunch of masked Americans from America to choose....must be about the spaceman right?

Apparently not. Really can't work out why it's called that at all.

Here's the lyrics...

Today, up on this hill, I’m counting all the killers
They sway as they swarm, a look of gluttons in their eyes
They mutter as the body loses warmth
They pick your bones like locks inside a tomb
And take great care to not take care of YOU
HERE’S AN UNEXPLAINABLE ONE​

While I was learning to live, we all were living a lie- I guess you got what you wanted
So I will settle for a slaughterhouse soaked in blood and betrayal
It’s always somebody else… somebody else was me- you want the real smile?
Or the one I used to practice, not to feel like a failure?
I don’t need you to do it for me/I don’t need you to understand
I don’t need you to hide it from me/ I just want to feel like any other man
I won’t show you the whole story/I won’t show you the aftermath
I won’t show you my allegory
Don’t look away… HERE’S AN UNEXPLAINABLE ONE

I’m not ahead of my time- I just drew the first breath- If I’m alive tomorrow
I will alleviate the pressure… by cutting you out of me
I found my bottom line- dead on the front lines- I know I’ll never go home
So set fire to your ships and past regrets and be free
I don’t need you to do it for me/I don’t need you to understand
I don’t need you to hide it from me/ I just want to feel like any other man
I won’t show you the whole story/I won’t show you the aftermath
I won’t show you my allegory
Don’t look away… HERE’S AN UNEXPLAINABLE ONE
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?​

While I was learning to live, you taught me how to die- I guess I got what I wanted
Another needle in the back through purified scarification
It wasn’t somebody else- you fucking did it to me.
You want a real smile?
I haven’t smiled in years.​

Anyone?

Slipknot have released a new song called "Solway Firth". An odd name for a bunch of masked Americans from America to choose....must be about the spaceman right?

Here's the lyrics...

Today, up on this hill, I’m counting all the killers​
They sway as they swarm, a look of gluttons in their eyes​
They mutter as the body loses warmth​
They pick your bones like locks inside a tomb​
And take great care to not take care of YOU​
HERE’S AN UNEXPLAINABLE ONE​
While I was learning to live, we all were living a lie- I guess you got what you wanted​
So I will settle for a slaughterhouse soaked in blood and betrayal​
It’s always somebody else… somebody else was me- you want the real smile?​
Or the one I used to practice, not to feel like a failure?​
I don’t need you to do it for me/I don’t need you to understand​
I don’t need you to hide it from me/ I just want to feel like any other man​
I won’t show you the whole story/I won’t show you the aftermath​
I won’t show you my allegory​
Don’t look away… HERE’S AN UNEXPLAINABLE ONE​
I’m not ahead of my time- I just drew the first breath- If I’m alive tomorrow​
I will alleviate the pressure… by cutting you out of me​
I found my bottom line- dead on the front lines- I know I’ll never go home​
So set fire to your ships and past regrets and be free​
I don’t need you to do it for me/I don’t need you to understand​
I don’t need you to hide it from me/ I just want to feel like any other man​
I won’t show you the whole story/I won’t show you the aftermath​
I won’t show you my allegory​
Don’t look away… HERE’S AN UNEXPLAINABLE ONE​
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?​
While I was learning to live, you taught me how to die- I guess I got what I wanted​
Another needle in the back through purified scarification​
It wasn’t somebody else- you fucking did it to me.​
You want a real smile?​
I haven’t smiled in years.​

Anyone?

No.

I managed 1:39 seconds.

Our armed forces listen to this stuff - to me? It's fucked...in the head.

YMMV.

No.

I managed 1:39 seconds.

Our armed forces listen to this stuff - to me? It's fucked...in the head.

YMMV.

The intro was quite good....then it went to shit. It's not even a good riff.

I love metal but I never got into Slipknot, I lumped them in with Marilyn Manson, Korn, Linkin Park and those other nu-metal bands. Thought I'd give them another go, but turns out I was right all along.

As Graham Coxon so astutely observed... Slipknot are basically The Wombles.

It looks to me like it's about PTSD and soldiers not being cared for in society post-war. No idea why it's called that though.

This is Fortean because it's the theme song from Bigfoot movie Missing Link (his friend is a Sasquatch):

It's a lovely film, incidentally, as that tune indicates.

Interesting letter in FT 383 which says John Lennon's lyrics to I Am the Walrus bear remarkable similarities to a poem by Vaslav Nijinsky in 1919. Plagiarism? Nope, because the song was out in 1967, and the poem was not published until 1999, when the unexpurgated text was available to the public in his diary. Anyone with wider knowledge of Nijinsky able to confirm or deny this?

Don't mean to necropost, but i found this forum whilst researching 'fortean music' recommendations for a mix series i'm toying about with. Thought i'd sign up and share part 1 in case someone in this thread was interested.

and also to say hi, and that i'm pleasantly surprised to see an active messageboard-style forum in 2019 - the age of reddit, the fortean reddit being pretty dead

hi:)

Don't mean to necropost, but i found this forum whilst researching 'fortean music' recommendations for a mix series i'm toying about with. Thought i'd sign up and share part 1 in case someone in this thread was interested.

Welcome to the forum!

Have you uploaded the Part 1 piece yet? I got an error message when I clicked on your link.

and also to say hi, and that i'm pleasantly surprised to see an active messageboard-style forum in 2019 - the age of reddit, the fortean reddit being pretty dead

Yep ... The more verbose Web forum format is still going strong. It's the social media / mobile-oriented services that have reverted to the more simplistic outline-style format once common on early Web-based chat boards.

Welcome to the forum!

Have you uploaded the Part 1 piece yet? I got an error message when I clicked on your link.

Yep ... The more verbose Web forum format is still going strong. It's the social media / mobile-oriented services that have reverted to the more simplistic outline-style format once common on early Web-based chat boards.

ooh error sorted, edited the link should work now

i wonder if it is some sort of retromania/ nostalgia i'm feeling for this messageboard format or what it is? not sure how this format would feel to reddit-natives/mobile-oriented platforms as you put. but anyway here i am

Very much enjoying the compilation. Is it a remix / sampling of other's original works, or all your own creation? Either way, very nice stuff.

Great work. I'm an amateur audio-visual editor myself. Appreciate a good montage.

Am I hearing the Requiem (TV) soundtrack in the opening there? Those angelic enochian singings are cool.

Great work. I'm an amateur audio-visual editor myself. Appreciate a good montage.

Am I hearing the Requiem (TV) soundtrack in the opening there? Those angelic enochian singings are cool.

oh curious, i would also consider myself an 'amateur audio-visual editor' lol, where do you put your stuff?

i've not actually heard of this TV series, is it worth checking out? but no the opening is essentially the carpenters 'calling occupants...' slowed down in two forms;)

Some of the above seem interesting will have to listen at a later date. Just wanted to add my favourite to sing along to often when I drive near Dawley, Shropshire. It's Sir John Betjeman' s poem about the ghost of captain Webb ( he who swam the channel, also, house his mother lived in is in Ironbridge). It's from Banana Blush, Love the way it's been done...and I always try to sing it with the same accent...NOT very well though !

From Fred Deakin (the Lemon Jelly chap):

It's the title track of an actual, proper science fiction concept album called The End of the World, inspired by Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. Heard this on the radio yesterday and it has whetted my appetite for more, loving the 1970s production.

How the death of a Cryptozoologist inspired a Rap concept album...
Cryptozoologist Chris Orrick died last March. The Detroit vocalist with the same name woke up and read the news of his namesake’s death. This sparked a journey into a subculture of folklore and undiscovered cryptid species. That seed grew over the months into a dark, industrial, and abstract record: I Read That I Was Dead.
https://chrisorrickraps.bandcamp.com/album/i-read-that-i-was-dead

Christopher Kenyon Orrick of Raleigh, North Carolina died on March 1, 2019. He was born April 7, 1949. Members of the Cryptozoology community are beginning to hear about his passing.
http://www.cryptozoonews.com/orrick-obit/

I recently discovered a Danish neofolk group called Heilung.

From Wiki -
Heilung is an experimental folk band made up of members from Denmark, Norway and Germany. Their music is based on texts from artifacts of the Iron Age originated by the Northern European peoples of the Celtic and Viking Age. They describe their music as "amplified history from early medieval northern Europe". Much of their artistry is derived from Celtic gods and goddesses such as; Cernunnos and Sheela na gig. "Heilung" is a German word meaning "healing" in English.

I'm seeing them in London next month. :D

We're big fans of Heilung around here. Have been posting their best on the What Music? thread for years. I even sported a Heilung head once.

33653593_1347150598719645_6081643080904081408_o.jpg

This country supergroup from the 80s and their haunting signature song, about reincarnation.

Nightwish, "Amaranth". Music video about an angel falling to Earth. Rescued by some villagers.
The music video is inspired by a painting by Hugo Simberg: "The Wounded Angel".

1572701470026.png

basinski disintegration loops 3

In the early part of the last decade, William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops was the sort of music you passed around. Once you heard it, you wanted to tell somebody about it. There was obviously the sound itself, so hypnotic that it was immediately understood as a classic of ambient music. But there was more to it.

The Disintegration Loops arrived with a story that was beautiful and heartbreaking in its own right. It's been repeated so many times that Basinski himself has grown weary of telling it: in the 1980s, he constructed a series of tape loops consisting of processed snatches of music captured from an easy listening station. When going through his archives in 2001, he decided to digitize the decades-old loops to preserve them. He started a loop on his digital recorder and left it running, and when he returned a short while later, he noticed that the tape was gradually crumbling as it played. The fine coating of magnetized metal was slivering off, and the music was decaying slightly with each pass through the spindle. Astonished, Basinski repeated the process with other loops and obtained similar results.

Shortly after Basinski digitized his loops came the September 11 attacks. From the roof of his space in Brooklyn, he put a video camera on a tripod and captured the final hour of daylight on that day, pointing the camera at a smoldering lower Manhattan. On September 12, he cued the first of his newly created sound pieces and listened to it while watching the footage. The impossibly melancholy music, the gradual fade, and the images of ruin: the project suddenly had a sense of purpose. It would become an elegy for that day. Stills from the video were used for the covers of the CDs, and eventually, the hour-long visual with sound was released on DVD. The video is included with the four volumes of the music and two new live pieces.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17064-the-disintegration-loops/

This is about sound :)
I found this book while searching for "Dark Enlightenment". It's post-postmodern philosophy. I haven't read it, but the blurb sounds fascinating.

CCRU were a bunch of crazy interesting folks:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ge-philosophy-predicted-the-future-we-live-in

For as long as recording and communications technologies have existed, operators have evoked the potential of sound, infrasound, and ultrasound to access anomalous zones of transmission between the realms of the living and the dead. In Unsound:Undead, contributors from a variety of disciplines chart these undead zones, mapping out a nonlinear timeline populated by sonic events stretching from the 8th century BC (the song of the Sirens), to 2013 (acoustic levitation), with a speculative extension into 2057 (the emergence of holographic and holosonic phenomena).

For the past seven years the AUDINT group has been researching peripheral sonic perception (unsound) and the ways in which frequencies are utilized to modulate our understanding of presence/non-presence, entertainment/torture, and ultimately life/death. Concurrently, themes of hauntology have inflected the musical zeitgeist, resonating with the notion of a general cultural malaise and a reinvestment in traces of lost futures inhabiting the present.

This undead culture has already spawned a Lazarus economy in which Tupac, ODB, and Eazy-E are digitally revivified as laser-lit holograms. The obscure otherworldly dimensions of sound have also been explored in the sonic fictions produced by the likes of Drexciya, Sun Ra, and Underground Resistance, where hauntology is virtually extended: the future appears in the cracks of the present.

The contributions to this volume reveal how the sonic nurtures new dimensions in which the real and the imagined (fictional, hyperstitional, speculative) bleed into one another, where actual sonic events collide with spatiotemporal anomalies and time-travelling entities, and where the unsound serves to summon the undead.

https://www.amazon.de/AUDINT-Unsoun...ND3PJE5JVGA&psc=1&refRID=VYJQH8V6AND3PJE5JVGA

Back