• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

I recently discovered a Danish neofolk group called Heilung.

From Wiki -
Heilung is an experimental folk band made up of members from Denmark, Norway and Germany. Their music is based on texts from artifacts of the Iron Age originated by the Northern European peoples of the Celtic and Viking Age. They describe their music as "amplified history from early medieval northern Europe". Much of their artistry is derived from Celtic gods and goddesses such as; Cernunnos and Sheela na gig. "Heilung" is a German word meaning "healing" in English.

I'm seeing them in London next month. :D
They where amazing! At the beginning of the show/ceremony they invite the spirits to join them, the show consists of heilung, the audience and the spirits. I hope they come back to London soon.

The wonderful Rachel Newton is always worth listening too, for folks like us an album about fairy changelings is extra wonderful. This is my favourite track from the album 'changeling'

Fleetwood Mac: the story behind Rhiannon

....... True to its witchy beginnings, in time the song would reveal deeper significance. “I come to find out, after I’ve written the song, that in fact Rhiannon was the goddess of steeds, maker of birds,” Nicks explains. “Her three birds sang music, and when something was happening in war you would see Rhiannon come riding in on a horse.

This is all in the Welsh translation of The Mabinogion, their book of mythology. When she came you’d kind of black out, then wake up and the danger would be gone, and you’d see the three birds flying off and you’d hear this little song. So there was, in fact, a song of Rhiannon. I had no idea about any of this.”....

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-rhiannon-by-fleetwood-mac

Don't know how long this has left online, but it's Adam Buxton's very fine Radio 4 doc on Shooby Taylor, The Human Horn:
Documentary

I thought he had disappeared off the face of the planet after finding cult fame as a musical weirdo, but as you'll hear, the truth is different (and unexpectedly moving).

The history of The Purple People Eater, from novelty song to blockbuster movie (well, they made a movie, anyway):
Click here

Article includes cover versions, but the original's the one.

Thanks Lord Lucan - I didn't realise Kerrang was still going
Yeah, didn't they disappear together with the hair metal?

Only hair metal band left is Steel Panther which is a parody band.

Last edited:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Musician-Band/Saxsquatch-219165248822410/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsk4ifMbqblkpB8gidE-97g/videos

Reminds me of Hunt Emerson's Max Zillion:
9780861660469-us.jpg

Last edited:
The Colour Out Of Space - Ningen Isu

Musically this is not really Fortean but the thought process behind waking up one morning and deciding to create a piano arrangement for ACDC's Thunderstruck certainly falls into the unusual category. Then to play it so well leaves me somewhat in awe.

... to create a piano arrangement for ACDC's Thunderstruck certainly falls into the unusual category. Then to play it so well leaves me somewhat in awe.
Tremendous!

I have been listening to this artiste so often recently and somewhat Forteanly, if I may reciprocate with one of my favourite interpretations... :)

By 'eck, you lot are all so much cooler than me. I came on here to suggest "Angie Baby" by Helen Reddy, and possibly "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" by 10CC. Somebody else beat me to "Under Your Thumb" by Godley and Creme, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band (RIP) and "Hotel California" by the Eagles.

Please can I also throw in "The Laughing Gnome" by the esteemed Mr Bowie as one of my favourite childhood songs?

By 'eck, you lot are all so much cooler than me. I came on here to suggest "Angie Baby" by Helen Reddy, and possibly "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" by 10CC. Somebody else beat me to "Under Your Thumb" by Godley and Creme, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by the Charlie Daniels Band (RIP) and "Hotel California" by the Eagles.
You're doing fine right there!

Helen Reddy... Oh WOW!!... just listened to this song again for the first time in many upon a year and came across a fabulous, contemporary video, I have been playing a fair few times early morning.

Perhaps just one more, accompanying cup of tea.

"...you lot are all so much cooler than me".

Au contraire!

IMG_20200725_072529_resize_96.jpg

"Angie Baby" is on my iPhone playlist, so it pops up every now and again. It was a rendition last night that drove me to post here!

I am still in no way cool, though. ;)

And just to further skew my ratings, let's add "Ode to Billie Joe" by Bobbie Gentry to the mix.

And just to further skew my ratings, let's add "Ode to Billie Joe" by Bobbie Gentry to the mix.

Yes! We have a thread on that one somewhere, and Miss Gentry herself, who seems to have disappeared, nobody knows if she's dead or alive.

Headphones in whilst dusting, and up pops Suzanne Vega, with "Wooden Horse (Kaspar Hauser)". I was only thinking the other day that "The Queen and the Soldier" has a certain Fortean feel to it, so obviously I was meant to drop her name onto this thread at some point.

Back