• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

A tale of reincarnation, played repeatedly on Art Bell's show

I was a highwayman
Along the coach roads I did ride
With sword and pistol by my side
Many a young maid lost her baubles to my trade
Many a soldier shed his lifeblood on my blade
The bastards hung me in the spring of '25
But I am still alive

I was a sailor
I was born upon the tide
With the sea I did abide
I sailed a schooner 'round the Horn to Mexico
I went aloft to furl the mainsail in a blow
And when the yards broke off they said that I got killed
But I am living still

I was a dam builder
Across the river deep and wide
Where steel and water did collide
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound
But I am still around

I'll always be around, and around and around
And around and around and around and around

I'll fly a starship
Across the Universe divide
And when I reach the other side
I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can
Perhaps I may become a highwayman again
Or I may simply be a single drop of rain
But I will remain
And I'll come back again, and again
And again and again and again and again
And again

Not my typical style of music, but what a brilliant collection of voice.

As a long-term fan, and possessor of the hard-to-get album, I love this song.
It's my own perception that is to blame for my not realising sooner that there's a lot of Fortean minutae to unpack from just this one song/video:

OUT NOW: Mombi Yuleman - Hours Lost
dl / Pro Cdr / Tape (very limited edition of 50 copies)

https://bandcamp.us14.list-manage.c...5ab8b37d439065dd02&id=a19993ce93&e=fe1c0b73ce

In September of 1961, an event happened that would become one of the most widely publicized alien abduction cases in history. After having an encounter with a bright light in the sky that appeared to follow them on their late drive home (Portsmouth, New Hampshire, US), Betty and Barney Hill pulled over and got out of the car to investigate. The light turned out to be a metallic object as big as a jet and it hovered above them. Gray beings with large eyes could be seen in the windows. Fleeing the scene, they both heard a series of buzzing sounds and lost consciousness. Upon a second series of sounds they found themselves arriving home much later with no recollection of what had happened after their encounter. Only through months of sessions through hypnosis were they able to come to understand what had happened during that missing time.
This album is inspired by these events and what happened during those hours lost.

I'm no musician - I couldn't carry a tune with a forklift - but when I thought of this book title, I thought it'd make for a good line in a song ...
James Tilley Matthews and the Air Loom Gang.
(Dah, dah, da-dah, da, da, dah, dah, dah, if you see what I mean.)

Just grabbed a copy of The Thetford Beast by Concretism (its on Castles In Space which always sells out instantly). Pretty Fortean concept, have a listen here:
https://concretism-cis.bandcamp.com/album/the-thetford-beast

Not quite equidistant between Norwich and London is Thetford Forest - a woodland tract which runs alongside the the main A11 artery between the two cities. Chris Sharp aka Concretism often stays in the area (perhaps in the nearby Linton Travel Tavern) and got to wonder whether a beast may roam the forest. In fact there has been sightings of a Thetford Beast - some say cat, some say ape - and this EP is a soundtrack to an imagined children's book about the monster. These are going to move as quick as the monster itself (quite quick) so don't miss out.

I thought I'd mentioned this, but apparently not. Possibly my favourite Bob Marley song:

Supposedly based on an actual ghost rumour that had been doing the rounds in Jamaica.

Spooky reggae - what more could a person possibly want in their life.

Just grabbed the cassette (I don't even have a functional player what am I like?) of David Clarksons new 'un "A Pocket Guide to Dream Land: Faded Fairgrounds and Coastal Ghost Towns of the British Isles" - have a listen here.

Also his earlier releases are up as a full bargain price discography, all very fortean themed.

a0671953577_16.jpg

I do need to get back into making music again, too much other crap going on of late.

Not sure I ever shared this before, mainly notable for containing Swifty's 'wanking ghost' recording.

New one from The Night Monitor today (see posts above)

28th November 1980. Todmorden, Yorkshire. Policeman Alan Godfrey encounters a mysterious metallic craft of unknown origin hovering above the road, stopping his ‘panda’ patrol car in its tracks. Later, under hypnosis, he describes being taken aboard the UFO where he meets a mysterious humanoid entity named ‘Yosef’, a group of eight small robots ("Ugh! Them are horrible!") and, perhaps most strangely, a folkloric black dog.

‘Close Encounters of the Pennine Kind’ is The Night Monitor’s musical evocation of one man’s strange and personal experience - a classic case in UK UFO lore, filtered via an early 1980s orchestrated synthesiser soundtrack.

Further reading:

'The Pennine UFO Mystery' by Jenny Randles (Granada 1983)
'Who or What Were They?' by Alan Godfrey (self published 2017)

releases March 3, 2023

https://thenightmonitor.bandcamp.com/album/close-encounters-of-the-pennine-kind

Back