Fortean Places To Visit In Italy?

Pockinghorn

Fresh Blood
Hi all, This is my first time posting in the FT forums. Me and my partner are headed to Italy this October and I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for Fortean places to visit there. We'll mostly be in Naples and Florence and we'll be spending Halloween in Naples! Thanks for any suggestions!

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Does anyone else have Fortean place recommendations for Pockinghorn?
Well, I know it sounds bloody obvious, but Pompeii should prove fascinating for any Fortean; it was easily the most interesting place I visited in the fortnight I was there. Advance reading will give you the mystical, religious, superstitious parts to visit, but the whole concept of the time-capsule of a buried city is broadly Fortean in and of itself.

Caecilius in horto sedet, and all that--great fun.

Unfortunately you might stay in or pass through Naples to get there. It's a disgusting city with a sleezy atmosphere and the country would be richer if the ground opened up and swallowed it. See also Brindisi (on a smaller scale).

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Yes, the bit of Naples we saw when visiting Pompeii was not the most pleasant place - we travelled by rail from Sorrento and the suburbs you see from the train are very run-down, the walk from the station down to Herculaneum was even worse.

The most Fortean place I've visited in Italy is the Capuchin ossuary in Rome https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/santa-maria-della-concezione

eburacum

Papo-furado
Recently returned from Bolzano, where the Otzi iceman museum is. Otzi is fascinating- he had so much kit with him when he died: arrows, a copper axe, medicine, tinder, a grass cape and string boots. Bolzano is weird too - it is in the South Tyrol, and half the people speak Austrian. Unlike Naples, it is very wealthy.

The Dolomites are nearby; strange looking pink mountains. My missus bought a book about Dolomite legends in the Otzi bookshop. One legend tells about a prince that went to the Moon, and bought back a Moon Princess. She was sad because all the mountains on Earth were made of dark rock, unlike the shiny white mountains of the Moon; so the prince persuaded a magician to turn the Dolomites pale to cheer her up.