• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Places

Personally I'm a huge fan of Dartmoor- what with the Prison and the Tors and the Beasts and what not. Not forgetting the really rather cool Whisman's Wood... If you haven't been there, go there.

Az

Aben Zin said:
Personally I'm a huge fan of Dartmoor- what with the Prison and the Tors and the Beasts and what not. Not forgetting the really rather cool Whisman's Wood... If you haven't been there, go there.

Az

Me too. I celebrated my birthday at the Greywethers stone circles once. Fantastic.

Go, but take an OS map and a picnic. :)

And if you're attacked by fairies just repeat
"Idon'tbeliveinfairiesIdon'tbeliveinfairiesIdon'tbeliveinfairies"
until the right ones die...

Az

Nah, just put your coat on inside out, your less likely to attract elfshot.

Fortean UK places worthy of a MB outing?

So what places in the UK do you think would be a good place of a Fortean Times message board outing then?

I would opt for Rosslyn Chapel as one option.

There was talk of visiting Rosslyn a while ago, plus Chantonbury ring popped up too.

Indeed, I think there's plenty of places wherever you are in the UK to pop over to and have a look. Not that I have yet, but I'd be interested in ghost-type investigation or general investigation of a site :) I was reading about the "Big Grey Man of Ben Macdhui" recently, that sounded like an interesting place to visit :)

suggestions

Well, many spring to mind but the two that stick are Pluckley village (down my neck 'o the woods - Kent) alledgedly the most haunted village in Britain. I can't vouch for that but it is quite pretty and has many pubs within in walking distance of each other (which i should imagine accounts for many 'sightings').

(& i like a fresh pint of Spitfire [Shepherd's Neame - Oldest brewer in the country])

My main vote, however, would be for an albeit unlikely tour of Wiltshire. I spent some time in Devizes with my step-father last year and it really is a beautiful part of the country even without counting, Stonehenge, Avebury, The Sanctuary and The Avenue. Conan Doyle described travelling thru the countryside in those parts and spoke of the modern world receding to leave the ancient world in dominance - 'tis true. I also love the novelty of the 'Warning Tank Crossing' signs (with little tank sillouette in red triangle) that you get on Salisbury Plain.

(and i like a fresh pint of Wadsworth 6X)

If you're coming through to Edinburgh from Glasgow might I suggest Cairnpapple just outside Bathgate. Site of an ancient stone circle erected by the Beaker People, it has an unusual double semi circle shape and a very rare grave in the centre. The grave is composed of stones balanced on top of each other to create a small burial chamber. It once contained a wooden club buried with the occupant, and is now below ground level beneath a small concrete dome. Entrance fee £1. Nearby is Witch's Crag, where magical rituals are still occasionally performed (and the New Agers occasionally leave offering at Cairnpapple), a flooded 18th Century silver mine, the graves of two German miners marked by large standing stones, a fine view of Torphicen where William Wallce held his last parliament and a hill (?name) made famous in a poem by Robert Louis Stevenson.

I'm also quite near Pluckley - it's not that interesting a place though (aside from the pubs, as mentioned above!). Plus, if you were looking for a place to investigate, it'd be more interesting to have a less well-known one, in my opinion.

When I was a kid I was taken on a holiday to the Norfolk Broads, and there's some odd ghost-related places along there. Burgh St Peter near Waveney sticks in my mind in particular, as it has a rather odd-shaped church (looks like it's made of building blocks) which is supposed to be haunted by the devil.

Aside from that, the Isles of Scilly (about 23 miles off Land's End in Cornwall for those who don't know) have fascinating places to visit, and are very picturesque too. The prehistoric burial chambers, wreck sites, standing stones (particularly the Old Man of Gugh, which has a real buzz, but there's things everywhere), the Valhalla Figurehead Museum on Tresco (with figureheads retrieved from real shipwrecks), it's very atmospheric. It's also a good place to go to get away from cars. (Edit: I made the stained-glass pacman visible in my avatar there too. ;) )

thanks Wastrel i had no idea all of that was there, I will make sure to check it out sometime :)

It would be great for a fortean bus trip & tour to Rennes le Chateau :) Perhaps with Lional Fanthorpe or Henry Lincoln as tour guide for part of it :)

synthwerk said:
these threads really make me jealeous
No need to be jealous Synth, none of this will happen. British people don't like to travel more than 10 miles for anything (3 miles for a night out), and we're all scattered at different ends of our vast country. :) It's all a harmless fantasy.

beakboo said:
British people don't like to travel more than 10 miles for anything (3 miles for a night out), and we're all scattered at different ends of our vast country. :) It's all a harmless fantasy.
Mind you there is a rare breed who travels more than a 100 miles for a night out. (Sorry I was never good at geography.) The same rare breed that believes clowns are funny and out to entertain you. I wonder who it can be? He/she seems to be unique.

I'd love to visit Rennes-le-Chateau and Rosslyn. ;)

Susan Bulmer said:
So you really do look like Rolf Harris, Anome!
Rolf Harris? Rolf Harris? Rolf Harris?

I don't know how to take that. I understand he's quite popular in England, while here in Australia he's seen as a bit of a throwback. As far as I can tell, the only thing we have in common is we both have beards.

I also don't see the likeness between Rolf and my avatar. He always seemed taller than that to me.

If Evilsprout's not gonna say it:

Sheffield.

or the nearby Longdendale Valley

It's a shame, really, that there probably won't be a message board trip to one of these places. It could be a very interesting experience. (Not least because one of the party could turn out to be an axe-wielding maniac!)

Edit: On second thoughts, make that "Not least because one of the party could turn out not to be an axe-wielding maniac."

Bump! Two threads merged! (Thanks to Spook)

And oddly enough, the last post on the first thread, and the first on the newer one, were made on the same date (Nov 21), but in 2001 & 2002 respectively. Isn't that spooky, possums? :)

That's kind of cute actually.

Better shut up. This is going OT. I''ll have another thread of my own again in no time! :eek:

[:rolleyes: Perhaps Spooky should have nice thread all to herself, and everyone could go there to talk to her...]

Now, Spooky, it's getting chilly, I'd like you to put this nice jacket on...

No, don't worry about the leather straps, it's the latest fashion, they tell me...

Caroline said:
Now I know Spooky is a lovely Angel and I don't want her to get her feathers in a twist but....
ugh possums are ugly, they're nothing but animated loo brushes. I wouldn't want to be associated with one of those.
You're obviously thinking of those American opossums, which look more like overgrown rats. Australian possums are cute little creatures with big eyes, and gorgeous fur, and that are absolutely no use when cleaning the lavatory. So I've heard.

Otherwise, you would be accusing Dame Edna of calling her adoring (and adored) fans "loo brushes". Surely she wouldn't do that?

anome said:
Otherwise, you would be accusing Dame Edna of calling her adoring (and adored) fans "loo brushes". Surely she wouldn't do that?

Why not? Seems like a fair comment to me ;) ;) ;) ;)

Back