• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Paul increasingly talks over his guests rather then letting them tell their own story but conversely never challenges some of the complete fantasy b*ll*cks some guests come out with
Interesting, I just heard this said on Reddit...about George Noory. I think that's done because the crazies bring in the dollars and as such...

I also wonder if the way podcasters are paid for their content has changed, making it more difficult ie expensive for them to continue a regular schedule.
I feel like this is all related. We've talked about the cycle of paranormal content on tv....ghosts have been on the way out for awhile, bigfoot and cryptids are starting to go that way as well, now it's all about the UFOs. So it's not how they're being paid, it's that payment is driven by ratings, so it stands to reason they'll go for what'll bring in the money. Right now, that's creepypasta and UFOs.

Right now, that's creepypasta and UFOs.
I've sampled a couple recently and the hosts take anything that someone has emailed them, reading them and using no critical selection ie passing them off as real occurrences. It is very clear that the stories are creepypasta. It is irritating.

There are some good paranormal fiction podcasts. Redwood Bureau is a well written one.

I've been listening to the Mr Ballen Podcast on Amazon Music (Unfortunately it's sat behind that paywall, but if you have an Amazon Prime subscription you will be able to access it); .
I listen to his new episodes on Spotify - no subscription. He was working with only Apple Podcasts for awhile, and still is, but he is now releasing his new ones after they come out on Apple. I think they are a month later.

If anyone has a link for the old Bedtime Stories podcasts, pre Mr Ballen, I would be grateful if they could share it.
I listened to them on Spotify, but it's been awhile, so I'm not sure if they are still available.

How are the newer ones? I didn't realize that they have put new ones out.

There aren't too many balanced podcasts left. The best was Wide Atlantic Weird. It was, by far, the most intelligent and literate. Cian is changing the theme to a more narrow focus on Lost Worlds. So now it's called the The Lost Valley Podcast.

There are no good cryptid podcasts left. They all are either dude bros (or the female equivalent) swearing/giggling and sounding like they got their info an hour prior from Wikipedia or Reddit, or endless stories that, as mentioned above by @brownmane, are clearly made up.

I've become quite picky about podcasts. I notice every error and get easily annoyed with stupid banter and bad hosts. I think I'm spoiled now. I tried the celebrity hosted ones (example, Paul Giamatti's Chinwag) and they quickly become unlistenable.

I would GLADLY help Fortean Times do more 21st century stuff - like a web site, social media and a podcast. But they don't seem to be interested in doing that. I would do another podcast if I had help but there's no way one person who works for a living can manage it on a regular schedule. Also, I have no collaborators that would suit. It's tough to find the right match.

With regards to getting paid, you have to join a podcast network that gets advertising dollars in order to get anything from it. As with any good grass roots effort, podcasting got ruined by capitalism.

They all are either dude bros (or the female equivalent) swearing/giggling and sounding like they got their info an hour prior from Wikipedia or Reddit
This is why I can't get into a lot of podcasts. I think it's tough to find a balance between entertaining and factual and too many stray too far into entertainment and not enough into factual.

Thanks, really enjoyed these and a shame they were so short

Interesting how the skeptic in one of them used the Ciarán O'Keeffe method of not addressing the claimed paranormal experience as related by a witness and put to him to disprove but instead went off on a tangent and cast doubt on a different element of said phenomenon

Mysteries & Monsters has definitely gone off the boil after a fantastic start with the likes of Rob Gandy, Small Town Monsters, David Clarke. The Ghost Story Guys, Katy Elizabeth (Champ) etc. Now we seem to mostly get the likes of "The New Mexico Book of Witches with John LeMay". I no longer routinely listen to every episode but there are still some gems and FT contributors to be found such as @stu neville, Rob Gandy, @RuthRoperWylde and @lordmongrove so it is worth keeping an eye on.

Also, it pains me to say it but Paul increasingly talks over his guests rather then letting them tell their own story but conversely never challenges some of the complete fantasy b*ll*cks some guests come out with. I think Paul needs to reflect on "Less is More" and take the occasional break so that he has fewer but better-known and more credible guests (and less reliance on obscure American guests).

@Tempest63 When I'm stuck I search for the likes of Rob Gandy, @stu neville, @lordmongrove and David Clarke, never fails
I'm glad im not the only one to have noticed this. I used to be a regular listener, but i concur the recent episodes have been not as strong as the years gone by.
Agreed with Paul seeming to be more inclined to jump in more often which can be annoying when you are genuinely keen to hear the guest Finnish the story.
Also the whispering serious intro about that weeks guest has become a little annoying to me.

I'm glad im not the only one to have noticed this. I used to be a regular listener, but i concur the recent episodes have been not as strong as the years gone by.
Agreed with Paul seeming to be more inclined to jump in more often which can be annoying when you are genuinely keen to hear the guest Finnish the story.
Also the whispering serious intro about that weeks guest has become a little annoying to me.
I know he is passionate about his work so I hate to say it in a way, but with so much content from the US he has also missed some big fish from the UK such as the Calvine photo, the Somerset Gimp man, the excellent "Chasing Shadows" big cat documentary, the thought provoking "Elusive" British Bigfoot documentary, the chatter around the 'Welsh Triangle'events of the 1970s...

I listen to his new episodes on Spotify - no subscription. He was working with only Apple Podcasts for awhile, and still is, but he is now releasing his new ones after they come out on Apple. I think they are a month later.

I listened to them on Spotify, but it's been awhile, so I'm not sure if they are still available.

How are the newer ones? I didn't realize that they have put new ones out.
I think they are as good as the old ones, seems to be the same format and same deadpan delivery which I like in comparison to the childish shits n giggles on so so many unlistenable podcasts these days

I’m really struggling to find decent Fortean podcasts to listen to now...

Same.

I've been kind of limited to relistening of Talking Till Dawn and The Shocking Details and...not much else. (Actually, I indulge in regular relistening's of Punt PI - which I still find great fun.) Although, I am now interested in @Sharon Hill's Wide Atlantic Weird/The Lost Valley recommendation - and will be dipping in.

Despite it's apparent boundlessness, searching for information in specific areas generally emphasises the fact that, despite an apparently infinite capacity for bullshit, the internet has a surprisingly finite volume for facts - and in some area's it appears to already be full (of the latter, that is - as far as bullshit goes, the internet is the Dagda's bottomless cauldron). Maybe the most we can really hope for is intelligent re-examination and/or wait for new stuff to happen, or be discovered.

But that said - not sure if it's been referenced before, but I've recently stumbled across one glimmer of quartz in the gravel in the form of After Dark: Myths, Misdeeds & the Paranormal.

The presenters are two historians – the presentation and back and forth is intelligent, reasoned, generally sober but not overly so, altogether really entertaining. Very much enjoying what I’ve heard up to now. I'm not really sure how long they’ll be able to keep up their current prolific output – there’s a lot of fairly chunky episodes for something that’s relatively very new to the field.

(Please note, @Tempest63 – it is not the same thing as the After Dark you referenced back at post #524.)

The most recent episode of Mysteries and Monsters has Mr. Stu Neville as guest talking about 60's and '70's horror films and tv. I haven't listened to the whole episode yet, but enjoyed the discussion about The Abominable Dr. Phibes, and subsequently, Vincent Price.

I have to listen to it again in full as there are a couple of films mentioned that I have never seen that I need to find.

I too, am not interested in cryptids nor ufos. Maybe that is why the podcasts are not as regular. There are many doing the same stories. There are a limited number of stories of any known case.

I also wonder if the way podcasters are paid for their content has changed, making it more difficult ie expensive for them to continue a regular schedule. For an hour show, I know there is hours of production and editing done.

An informative and entertaining episode.

I also wonder if the way podcasters are paid for their content has changed, making it more difficult ie expensive for them to continue a regular schedule. For an hour show, I know there is hours of production and editing done
When I first started listening to podcasts they were a creative outlet for people who had no access to other means of broadcasting and seemed to be more of a hobby. At that time I don’t recall many of the podcasts blighted by adverts, if any at all.

Once the adverts came they ruined many a podcast. The ads were never thoughtfully placed, cutting across dialogue time and time again. Then came Patreon. Now you get the near begging that the listeners need to subscribe “so we can keep the lights on”, with good content put behind a paywall. As @Sharon Hill wrote
As with any good grass roots effort, podcasting got ruined by capitalism.
and what started as a hobbyists creative outlet became the potential for an income stream. I subscribed to tens of podcasts prior to Patreon and honestly couldn’t afford to pay a subscription to all of them, so one by one I have unsubscribed and now have only four that I listen to on a regular basis, and as they are inevitably jumping on the Patreon and or advertising bandwagon I expect I will eventually give those up. That is the reason I have been trawling through the BBC archives for Fortean/Paranormal/Supernatural content, some of which I post a link to here.

I have discussed with my son the possibility of starting a Fortean podcast if I live long enough to retire. Like so many of his age group he has “Media” qualifications and was going to help me get started, focusing on the Paranormal of my youth which precludes a lot of the stuff of today, i.e, shadow man, moth man and the rest of the scary pasta stuff that seems to have been elevated into mainstream Forteana. I am now so disillusioned with the podcast scene I don’t think I would bother.

But, (final whinge of the night), the podcasts that really get my goat are the ones that ask for listener stories which they then broadcast/publish (?) with a shit load of ads, or hide behind a pay wall. Do they distribute their earnings amongst those who give them their material? Do they F**k!

When I first started listening to podcasts they were a creative outlet for people who had no access to other means of broadcasting and seemed to be more of a hobby. At that time I don’t recall many of the podcasts blighted by adverts, if any at all.

Once the adverts came they ruined many a podcast. The ads were never thoughtfully placed, cutting across dialogue time and time again. Then came Patreon. Now you get the near begging that the listeners need to subscribe “so we can keep the lights on”, with good content put behind a paywall. As @Sharon Hill wrote

and what started as a hobbyists creative outlet became the potential for an income stream. I subscribed to tens of podcasts prior to Patreon and honestly couldn’t afford to pay a subscription to all of them, so one by one I have unsubscribed and now have only four that I listen to on a regular basis, and as they are inevitably jumping on the Patreon and or advertising bandwagon I expect I will eventually give those up. That is the reason I have been trawling through the BBC archives for Fortean/Paranormal/Supernatural content, some of which I post a link to here.

I have discussed with my son the possibility of starting a Fortean podcast if I live long enough to retire. Like so many of his age group he has “Media” qualifications and was going to help me get started, focusing on the Paranormal of my youth which precludes a lot of the stuff of today, i.e, shadow man, moth man and the rest of the scary pasta stuff that seems to have been elevated into mainstream Forteana. I am now so disillusioned with the podcast scene I don’t think I would bother.

But, (final whinge of the night), the podcasts that really get my goat are the ones that ask for listener stories which they then broadcast/publish (?) with a shit load of ads, or hide behind a pay wall. Do they distribute their earnings amongst those who give them their material? Do they F**k!
Its the ones that ask you to Pay. But if you can't its ok you can still buy them a coffee. Yes.. you can actually do that.

Completely agree! I liken it to early rap when they'd sample a song - Ice Ice Baby comes to mind - without paying the original artist royalties. Theft of intellectual property is still theft, especially if you profit off of it!

I'm also over the Patreon/Kofi elitist level tiers exhorting people to pay to listen to a shitty podcast where they do nothing but read stuff they copy/pasted from Reddit.

Its the ones that ask you to Pay. But if you can't its ok you can still buy them a coffee. Yes.. you can actually do that.
Some ask for a Kofi (?) donation but that doesn’t give you access to the material behind a paywall.
So you give them a donation, they profit from the stuff behind the paywall and they profit from the ads.
Win win situation for the podcaster.

Richard McLean Smith postponed his Uncanny podcast in April 2020 because he couldn't gaurantee advertising revenue due to the Pandemic. He explained that it was his full time job and therefore he couldn't broadcast the podcasts without the guarantee of the income, despite the fact that the podcast was ready to go out. And there were more ads to this postponement than information. You can listen to that here https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/unexplained/id1078112813?i=1000470345339

So the world was shutting down, people in the U.K. were lucky if they were furloughed as the alternative was redundancy. And because the podcaster wasn’t sure he would get money from American adverts that were mostly inappropriate to U.K. audiences, he shut it down when a lot of people needed the distraction of such podcasts to detract from the situation. I unsubscribed and haven’t gone back to it since.

Last edited:
Some ask for a Kofi (?) donation but that doesn’t give you access to the material behind a paywall.
So you give them a donation, they profit from the stuff behind the paywall and they profit from the ads.
Win win situation for the podcaster.

Richard McLean Smith postponed his Uncanny podcast in April 2020 because he couldn't gaurantee advertising revenue due to the Pandemic. He explained that it was his full time job and therefore he couldn't broadcast the podcasts without the guarantee of the income, despite the fact that the podcast was ready to go out. And there were more ads to this postponement than information. You can listen to that here https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/unexplained/id1078112813?i=1000470345339

So the world was shutting down, people in the U.K. were lucky if they were furloughed as the alternative was redundancy. And because the podcaster wasn’t sure he would get money from American adverts that were mostly inappropriate to U.K. audiences, he shut it down when a lot of people needed the distraction of such podcasts to detract from the situation. I unsubscribed and haven’t gone back to it since.
I hope it hurts every time he hears an advert for BBC's Uncanny podcast

I hate to disagree with my fellow Forteans, but I have no problem with Patreon or Kofi.
I have Dark Histories, Quantum Mechanics, and Talking til Dawn all on my Patreon, and don't begrudge them a single penny I pay as I know the money is being used to buy books, access to source material, recording equipment and, yes, a wage of sorts for the hosts, and I'm getting the content for less than cost of a supermarket sandwich meal deal.

The majority of the content is still there for free consumption, even if you might have to put up with the odd advert which aren't exactly hard to skip through.

If we want quality content of any sort, then I'm afraid there'll be a cost somewhere along the line.
Just look at the state of the music industry as an example of what happens when money is drained out.

That said, my beef is with larger providers and corporations (looking at you BBC) muscling in with dozens of podcasts (not necessarily Fortean) presented by media "stars", aping the content of independent podcasts, but with promotion budgets large enough to eclipse the work of the indies.

Granted, Uncanny is unique in its approach, but Dan Snow's History Hit has introduced After Dark whose content is very similar to the ground that Dark Histories covers.

Interesting debate. I often feel guilty about not subscribing to Mysterious Universe Plus to support the show, get extra episodes and access to the back catalogue. But the monthly cost ($15 AUS) is getting to close to a Netflix subscription which to be blunt offers far, far more than another couple of extra hours of a podcast and like so many people the spiralling cost of living has eaten into my disposable income. Also, I do have a life outside of Forteana and so probably wouldn't listen to a lot of the extra content. (wish the guys would offer some sort of PAYG).

I think some of the comments about paying podcasters stemmed from those who ask for listeners stories and then just reading them. There is little value added.

I appreciate those podcasters who do the research and set up guest interviews. That's a lot of work.

My problem, and this is what happens when particular podcasts are set up by corporations that mimic the independent ones. I don't begrudge either, but if I join/donate to one podcast, I feel guilty that I can't support another. The independents are the ones that will disappear.

I attempted to look into a Patreon subscription this evening for Rob Kirkup’s excellent “How Haunted” podcast.
This seems the best value podcast out there for me at present. It has what I want with none of the silliness found on most fortean podcasts, I have listened to each episode on more than one occasion and it is reliable and regular on Apple Podcasts.
However Patreon is down and this has further put me off of subscribing, having to rely on a third party to listen to a podcast I have paid for.

IMG_1248.png

The science of ‘weird shit’: why we believe in fate, ghosts and conspiracy theories

'Psychologist Chris French has spent decades studying paranormal claims and mysterious experiences, from seemingly-impossible coincidences to paintings that purportedly predict the future. Ian Sample sits down with French to explore why so many of us end up believing in, what he terms, ‘weird shit’, and what we can learn from understanding why we’re drawn to mysterious and mystic phenomena':

https://www.theguardian.com/science...elieve-in-fate-ghosts-and-conspiracy-theories

Back