• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yep AL has certainly dipped a lot. Blurry Photo's too, David Flora had a real chance to grill skeptic Debroah Hyde recently but just ended up agreeing with everything she said. I wanted him to talk about the armchair nature of modern skeptics who write off the paranormal without doing any actual direct investigation, it's a weather balloon, swamp gas, owls, etc, pontificating that really gets up my nose.

I never liked MU, the hosts are irritating as hell.

Mine are down to:

Expanded Perspectives - I like the hosts.
Blurry - I'm hanging in there
Astonishing - see above
Ghost Story Guys
Anything Ghost
Monsters Among Us
Knock Once For Yes - (please never do an interview with those bybbuk box people again - ridiculous)
Hysteria 51 - if the subject is interesting.
Stuff they don't want you to know.

Would you be ok DM'ing me some feedback about the 'dybbuk box people' lol! Only if you don't mind. (also happy to speak on the open forum, just didn't want to derail the thread!)

Would you be ok DM'ing me some feedback about the 'dybbuk box people' lol! Only if you don't mind. (also happy to speak on the open forum, just didn't want to derail the thread!)

Will do. but probably won't be now as I've got stuff to do!

There's an 10 part version of Lovecraft's 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward' on the BBC sounds website. Purists beware it has been 'updated', but don't let that put you off. I normally find Radio 4 dramas far too smug and middle class, but this was made by an external production company and I really enjoyed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06t51w8

:fhtagn:

This is being broadcast again - first part today. It's in 18 parts, done in the form of a podcast.

A handful of recently-discovered podcasts to throw into the mix ......

Scary Stories by Verity Clayton is excellent. The theme is fear, each episode covering a different type of human fear. It is absolutely perfect late-night listening, really not for a sunny day in the garden. Verity has a highly seductive voice and the background music is ambient, electronic type fare. It is a very intelligently written podcast and is a convenient half hour or so in length. The potential downside for some is she rounds things off with a creepypasta (God I hate that word) taken from the internet, which are fictional whereas I prefer allegedly true stories. Highly recommended.

For those who enjoy such allegedly true stories, 2 other late-night-listening podcasts I enjoy are Let's Read and Let's Not Meet. In each, the narrator reads creepy accounts of unsettling events taken from Reddit et al. Whilst a percentage of the stories are obviously bullshit, the majority strike me as true. The bulk of the stories are non-paranormal but are very creepy, indeed far creepier than the paranormal stories which often veer into sillytown.
The Let's Read guy really does have the fabled dulcet tones, the Let's Not Meet guy takes some getting used to but I find both are really listenable.

Check them out, especially Scary Stories.

Another "user-submitted" story podcast - I quite like this one similar to radio rental very good production.

https://spookedpodcast.org/

I know what you mean about the production values. I was struck by the quality of the sound design compared with a lot of other podcasts.

Some great stories too. I seem to remember a really early one about dowsing that really captured me.

Paul Bestall interviews your's truly on giant animals on his excellent Mysteries & Monsters podcast.
Nice to hear someone actually calling out Col Fawcett's 60 foot Anaconda as BS for once, Too much fence sitting on that one.

Nice to hear someone actually calling out Col Fawcett's 60 foot Anaconda as BS for once, Too much fence sitting on that one.

A 60 foot anaconda would be over 4 feet wide. It's skeletal structure would be way bigger than 12 inches. A 16 foot anaconda would be about a foot wide. I think 40-60 anaconda are possible though.

A 60 foot anaconda would be over 4 feet wide. It's skeletal structure would be way bigger than 12 inches. A 16 foot anaconda would be about a foot wide. I think 40-60 anaconda are possible though.
That would make it bigger than a Titanoboa.

Interesting recent Rune Soup interview with Glastonbury's Paul Weston here. We have a couple of mutual friends and he really knows his stuff and his books are well worth checking out.

Another good recent one, this episode of Strange Familiars.

Timothy talks with Ryan about encounters he had around his childhood home: being paced in the woods; weird sounds; large, upright figures; feelings of intense fear; unknown animals; and something which walked from the trees and urinated on his tent.
:oops:

One I've just discovered this past week which focuses on classic & contemporary monster movies. Covering the wonderful classic Universal monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman etc) along with King Kong, Godzilla and more modern day monster/horror films such as Jaws & The Exorcist.
Recorded by a husband and wife team, he's got the insight & knowledge and she has the questions we all want to ask.
Good stuff.

Pods & Monsters Podcast

I'm back to Anything Ghost until the horrible music gets too much for me again.

Knock once for yes with lil&fitz on Spotify very good podcast background music can be a nuisance all stories reports done in a calm considered way.And they say their home is haunted.

There's a podcast coming up specifically about conspiracy theories and urban legends in the black American community. 'my mama told me', starts August 18th, sounds promising.

Knock once for yes with lil&fitz on Spotify very good podcast background music can be a nuisance all stories reports done in a calm considered way.And they say their home is haunted.
Fitz pops in here now and again he's very open to criticism.

From the Podcast Section, thread. (Is there a reason we have two different podcast theads?):

I still haven't really got into podcasts yet. No doubt I will, but I'm one of those who hovers at the door for ages, and then chucks myself in like a lunatic. I'm currently still hovering at the door

Well, since then I’ve dipped a few toes in the podosphere – and although still not exactly a gluttonous consumer, the parts of it I do enjoy, I enjoy very much.

Just for now though, I’m going to serve up some propers to Talking Till Dawn - and the two guys who host it.

I’ve always thought that an interest in the strange is a win-win situation: if a story appears to be genuine, then that’s clearly a fantastic thing - but even if it’s not, and provably not, then the reasons why it exists, and the journey it went through to get where it is, can be an equally fascinating trip in its own right. To my mind it’s not just about the story, but the story of the story - not just the woo, but the why too.

And this seems to be the character of this podcast. For me they get the balance right on lots of levels: there’s banter (Glasgow based – so there’s bound to be...patter is nine tenths of the law), but just the right amount (although maybe a little bit of overchat in the first episode, but they soon get that sorted); the ethos is inquisitive and open minded without being gullible, sceptical without being dismissive, intelligent without being fusty - and it can be funny without being flippant.

Not a dry scripted recitation of recycled facts, or a bunch of people telling in-jokes and braying at each other over the ether - the two hosts are present within the discussion, but without making it all about them, and there’s a genuine warmth and clear enthusiasm which makes the listener feel somehow involved in the conversation in the way that the best radio always did. (The broadcast relationship reminds me a little of Will Ross and Mike Taylor, of the thoroughly excellent, A Podcast to the Curious.) The episodes seem to be at least part scripted, and possibly researched alternately, or at least separately, by the presenters, which helps create the spontaneous to and fro of a genuine conversation.

Repetition is the curse of any niche subject, and as with many things based on this sort of material, if the subject is something that you already have an interest in, then there might not be a whole lot you won’t have heard already. But, there’s always just a little bit more to think about, and even very familiar things can be thrown into a different light by a different telling – and I’d say that this is probably a good place for that to happen.

There’s clearly a lot of effort put into researching the subjects and, even with that familiar ground, I haven’t found a single episode that hasn’t been a thoroughly enjoyable listen. I thought I’d heard and read enough about Loch Ness to last me a couple of lifetimes, and was going to skip those episodes, but I ended up gobbling them up – about as entertaining an overall revue of the subject as I’ve ever come across. I even found the Black Eyed Kids episode – a subject I am not in the least convinced about, or even that interested in – entertaining; worth the bus fair alone for Michael’s genuinely unnerving experience in a Glasgow park (not a BEK, by the way – but you can see the connect).

It’s also, I think, a great name.

As you can probably tell, I really like it, and am saving the latest episode – Sky Monsters & Atmospheric Beasts – for a stormy evening.

Link: Talking Till Dawn

Last edited:
From the Podcast Section, thread. (Is there a reason we have two different podcast theads?):

Well, since then I’ve dipped a few toes in the podosphere – and although still not exactly a gluttonous consumer, the parts of it I do enjoy, I enjoy very much.

Just for now though, I’m going to serve up some propers to Talking Till Dawn - and the two guys who host it.

I’ve always thought that an interest in the strange is a win-win situation: if a story appears to be genuine, then that’s clearly a fantastic thing - but even if it’s not, and provably not, then the reasons why it exists, and the journey it went through to get where it is, can be an equally fascinating trip in its own right. To my mind it’s not just about the story, but the story of the story - not just the woo, but the why too.

And this seems to be the character of this podcast. For me they get the balance right on lots of levels: there’s banter (Glasgow based – so there’s bound to be...patter is nine tenths of the law), but just the right amount (although maybe a little bit of overchat in the first episode, but they soon get that sorted); the ethos is inquisitive and open minded without being gullible, sceptical without being dismissive, intelligent without being fusty - and it can be funny without being flippant.

Not a dry scripted recitation of recycled facts, or a bunch of people telling in-jokes and braying at each other over the ether - the two hosts are present within the discussion, but without making it all about them, and there’s a genuine warmth and clear enthusiasm which makes the listener feel somehow involved in the conversation in the way that the best radio always did. (The broadcast relationship reminds me a little of Will Ross and Mike Taylor, of the thoroughly excellent, A Podcast to the Curious.) The episodes seem to be at least part scripted, and possibly researched alternately, or at least separately, by the presenters, which helps create the spontaneous to and fro of a genuine conversation.

Repetition is the curse of any niche subject, and as with many things based on this sort of material, if the subject is something that you already have an interest in, then there might not be a whole lot you won’t have heard already. But, there’s always just a little bit more to think about, and even very familiar things can be thrown into a different light by a different telling – and I’d say that this is probably a good place for that to happen.

There’s clearly a lot of effort put into researching the subjects and, even with that familiar ground, I haven’t found a single episode that hasn’t been a thoroughly enjoyable listen. I thought I’d heard and read enough about Loch Ness to last me a couple of lifetimes, and was going to skip those episodes, but I ended up gobbling them up – about as entertaining an overall revue of the subject as I’ve ever come across. I even found the Black Eyed Kids episode – a subject I am not in the least convinced about, or even that interested in – entertaining; worth the bus fair alone for Michael’s genuinely unnerving experience in a Glasgow park (not a BEK, by the way – but you can see the connect).

It’s also, I think, a great name.

As you can probably tell, I really like it, and am saving the latest episode – Sky Monsters & Atmospheric Beasts – for a stormy evening.

Link: Talking Till Dawn

Thank you for this. Loving it so far. Currently laughing along to the story of Elmer McCurdy, the most inept train robber of all time.

Okay, so the magazine got rid of this excellent page and replaced it with that Haunted Generation nonsense, but I just wanted to mention the Weird Tales Podcast. It's just a guy reading tales by the likes of HPL and Derleth. I enjoyed "The King In Yellow" and have ended up listening to a few more. It's very well read, although he makes mistakes and rather than editing them out just leaves them in which is a bit weird (lol). Well worth a listen though.

I just found Classic Ghost Stories and Weird Tales Podcast read by Tony Walker. He reads E. F Benson, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Ray Bradbury etc. Just listened to two episodes and enjoyed them. He recites them well and has a good voice and pacing.

Back