• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
...But his accent - I could listen to Lee talk about anything, all day. I could listen to him reading the phone book. (I know it says he's from Delaware but what sort of accent is that? Is that a Delaware accent?) I feel ludicrously chilled out now.

Southern transplant, I reckon - maybe Tennessee or Kentucky. Some years ago I met a woman from that region whose accent sounded very similar - especially noticeable in sounds like 'home', 'road', 'go' and 'over' ('heowm' 'reowd', 'geow' 'eowver'...kind of). She also always sounded like she had a spliff in one hand and a glass of good malt in the other. I reckon @EnolaGaia will know.

And yes, I could listen to Lee all day. (Someone should get him in touch with LibriVox.)

Great recommendation @Naughty-Felid. Although I love a good ghost story I've generally been disappointed by the podcasts, because past experience has led me to suspect that much content is just movie inspired bullshit - a bit like Reddit, but with sound. However, I'm enjoying this one.

sounds like 'home', 'road', 'go' and 'over' ('heowm' 'reowd', 'geow' 'eowver'...kind of)
Oh yes those were exactly my favourite :) Thank you.

Mr E tells me some people's voices give him a weird calming sensation (maybe a sort of asmr thing) and now I think I know what he means.

We seem to have two different Podcast threads which differ in subject matter, not one whit.

This is an unashamed cut and paste of a post I put up on the Fortean Podcasts thread.

I think it's worth duplicating here because it's a great podcast, and wouldn't want anyone who might be interested to miss the recommendation.

---

Well, since then I’ve dipped a few toes in the podosphere – and although still not exactly a gluttonous consumer, the parts of it I do enjoy, I enjoy very much.

Just for now though, I’m going to serve up some propers to Talking Till Dawn - and the two guys who host it.

I’ve always thought that an interest in the strange is a win-win situation: if a story appears to be genuine, then that’s clearly a fantastic thing - but even if it’s not, and provably not, then the reasons why it exists, and the journey it went through to get where it is, can be an equally fascinating trip in its own right. To my mind it’s not just about the story, but the story of the story - not just the woo, but the why too.

And this seems to be the character of this podcast. For me they get the balance right on lots of levels: there’s banter (Glasgow based – so there’s bound to be...patter is nine tenths of the law), but just the right amount (although maybe a little bit of overchat in the first episode, but they soon get that sorted); the ethos is inquisitive and open minded without being gullible, sceptical without being dismissive, intelligent without being fusty - and it can be funny without being flippant.

Not a dry scripted recitation of recycled facts, or a bunch of people telling in-jokes and braying at each other over the ether - the two hosts are present within the discussion, but without making it all about them, and there’s a genuine warmth and clear enthusiasm which makes the listener feel somehow involved in the conversation in the way that the best radio always did. (The broadcast relationship reminds me a little of Will Ross and Mike Taylor, of the thoroughly excellent, A Podcast to the Curious.) The episodes seem to be at least part scripted, and possibly researched alternately, or at least separately, by the presenters, which helps create the spontaneous to and fro of a genuine conversation.

Repetition is the curse of any niche subject, and as with many things based on this sort of material, if the subject is something that you already have an interest in, then there might not be a whole lot you won’t have heard already. But, there’s always just a little bit more to think about, and even very familiar things can be thrown into a different light by a different telling – and I’d say that this is probably a good place for that to happen.

There’s clearly a lot of effort put into researching the subjects and, even with that familiar ground, I haven’t found a single episode that hasn’t been a thoroughly enjoyable listen. I thought I’d heard and read enough about Loch Ness to last me a couple of lifetimes, and was going to skip those episodes, but I ended up gobbling them up – about as entertaining an overall revue of the subject as I’ve ever come across. I even found the Black Eyed Kids episode – a subject I am not in the least convinced about, or even that interested in – entertaining; worth the bus fair alone for Michael’s genuinely unnerving experience in a Glasgow park (not a BEK, by the way – but you can see the connect).

It’s also, I think, a great name.

As you can probably tell, I really like it, and am saving the latest episode – Sky Monsters & Atmospheric Beasts – for a stormy evening.

Link: Talking Till Dawn.

---

Have since then listened to the Sky Monsters episode, and the latest, on Erdstalls - all really, really good stuff.
I am another recent convert to Talking Till Dawn, thanks to Spookdaddy. Fabulous stuff, and the Scottish accent is somehow reassuring.

I am another recent convert to Talking Till Dawn, thanks to Spookdaddy. Fabulous stuff, and the Scottish accent is somehow reassuring.

Yes - I'm still really enjoying that podcast. Nice chunky episodes, most of which have borne several re-listenings already.

I think @David Plankton was probably right about the Pedro Alonso López episode:

I wish they'd stick to the paranormal. Episode 17 about a prolific child-killer from Ecuador was too grim to listen all the way through.

That said, I thought they did a good job of Bible John.

And - at least for now - they don't do adverts. I appreciate that podcasters need to make revenue - but by god, it doesn't half lead to some odd moments. Last week I listened to Richard MacLean Smith of The Unexplained interrupt a story with an advert for a company who, from what I can gather, courier catshit from one place to another...for fuck's sake. He had to say the words 'KITTY POO CLUB' eight times in a little over a minute, and - not only that - then spell out the letters of the words 'KITTY' 'POO' and 'CLUB' - presumably just in case the cognitive effort involved in working out the significance of those words might prove to be beyond the listener's capacity. All this, mind you, in the midst of a story about a household massacre which constitutes one of Germany's most infamous historical murder cases . If we lived in the Victorian era the poor guy would probably have died of incongruity (I'm pretty sure they did - they seem to have died of everything else.)

Knock Once for Yes - Very, very tidy accounts of certain timeslip stories in the latest episode. Good research on "Freddie Jackosn" - impressive.

https://knockonceforyes.com/

Goddard's flight?

I've always wondered if this Twilight Zone episode was based on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Flight_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Also, can we sign up for Patreon peeps?

This is the best British Podcast about our stuff and it's done very professionally. They need more Patreons though as they don't have a huge amount.

Support our local Podcasts!

Just caught up with the two most recent episodes: Giant Sea Monsters Attack! - Parts 1 + 2.

Might not be my usual thing, but the guys at Talking Till Dawn are as reliably absorbing as usual. (Also the forum gets a name-check at the end of Part 2).

On another matter:

The name Danny Robins in this month's Fortean Times (April 2021 - FT 404) rang a bell. I realised that I'd bookmarked his podcast, Haunted, way back - having listened to, and really enjoyed, the first episode - and then, for some inexplicable reason, forgotten about it.

So this morning, while tidying the workshop, I binged on a few more. Really well done, I think - and very enjoyable.

However, one of the reasons I actually felt stimulated to sit down and write this now - is that an experience related in one particular episode actually sent a genuine icy shiver down my spine; a proper 'fuckmyoldboots!!' moment, and no mistake - and on as nice and sunny and light a morning as you could imagine!

I am not going to elucidate - apart from to state that it's not a run of the mill ghost. If you're interested, you'll have to dive in. The episodes aren't that long, and there aren't that many (unfortunately).

Here be Haunted.

1617019886149.jpeg

The best of the best.

Hi spook daddy yeah very good podcast the Danny robbins one listened to the battersea poltergeist didn’t know he had 2new ones out

I gave it10mins and was almost put to sleep. Is there a specific episode that will change my mind?

Impossible for me to say. It may not be to your taste. I like all the episodes but I particularly enjoy the field-recordings they do of their experiences in places that have lots of dark local legends surrounding them. Of these - the Pandemonium ones are probably my favourite.

I've been listening to a podcast called 'Astray' about so-called 'India syndrome' -- westerners experiencing a religious psychosis on visiting India, and in the case of most of the subjects of the podcast, ending up missing or murdered. Some things could be improved - at some point the host says that before researching the show she didn't realise there were religions other than Hinduism in India which makes it hard to take her seriously as an authority on the subject - but in general it's pretty interesting.

I've been listening to a podcast called 'Astray' about so-called 'India syndrome' -- westerners experiencing a religious psychosis on visiting India, and in the case of most of the subjects of the podcast, ending up missing or murdered. Some things could be improved - at some point the host says that before researching the show she didn't realise there were religions other than Hinduism in India which makes it hard to take her seriously as an authority on the subject - but in general it's pretty interesting.

I just listened to a bunch of those. Really enjoyed them.
My faves are
Mysterious Universe (although it's gotten a little weaker the last couple years)
Monster Talk
Strange News Daily on IheartRadio

I’ve nigh on given up on the Paranormal podcasts these days (apart from our own Fitz and KOFY). The overriding majority of paranormal podcasts are heavily into UFO’s or Cryptids, both of which bore me rigid.
U.K. based paranormal podcasts seem to rely wholly on interviews with fruit cases from the States. Don’t we have enough paranormal/supernatural history of our own in the British Isles?
And most of the hosts seem to be intent on getting as many swear words into each minute whilst shouting at the top of their voices or belting out ridiculously loud music.
Sad state of affairs!

And most of the hosts seem to be intent on getting as many swear words into each minute whilst shouting at the top of their voices or belting out ridiculously loud music.
Sad state of affairs!

I do wish there was more family friendly paranormal stuff out there. There's nothing inherently adult about most of it ... but it gets lumped in with adult themes most of the time.

I do wish there was more family friendly paranormal stuff out there. There's nothing inherently adult about most of it ... but it gets lumped in with adult themes most of the time.
So you want to sit down with your children and frighten them half to death. Yep fair enough. They have to learn some time :)

U.K. based paranormal podcasts seem to rely wholly on interviews with fruit cases from the States. Don’t we have enough paranormal/supernatural history of our own in the British Isles?
Sad state of affairs

This is why I really enjoy the Quantum Mechanics podcast. They cover some genuinely interesting cases in a clear-headed way, without trying to shoe-horn in too much wacky theorising or comedy.

Their ep on Sam, The Sandown Clown recently was fantastic - far better than some of the US-centric podcast I’ve listened to on it.

Last edited:
I love paranormal podcasts and listen to loads.

But I am genuinely stull trying to find a good British one.

Puzzles me why people seem not to be able to manage them (not saying I could!).

I love paranormal podcasts and listen to loads.

But I am genuinely stull trying to find a good British one.
Do you like 'Mysteries and Monsters'? He often has British interviewees.

This is why I really enjoy the Quantum Mechanics podcast. They cover some genuinely interesting cases in a clear-headed way, without trying to shoe-horn in too much wacky theorising or comedy.

Their ep on Sam, The Sandown Clown recently was fantastic - far better than some of the US-centric podcast I’ve listened to on it.
I’ll give it a go. Thank you

Do you like 'Mysteries and Monsters'?

I've not come across it but will check out. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to find a British one for some kind of nationalist reason. I just think there are so many amazing American ones and it puzzles me why I've not come across any British ones I thought were good.

I've not come across it but will check out. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to find a British one for some kind of nationalist reason. I just think there are so many amazing American ones and it puzzles me why I've not come across any British ones I thought were good.
I think he's very good, he lets the person he's interviewing actually speak :)
And there isn't loud music and "hilarious" larking about.
(Yes I am old and fussy)

Can anyone recommend any supernatural drama podcasts or similar? I'd never really bothered with podcasts, but over the past 6 months or so I've gotten myself into the habit of regularly checking the 'Horror and Supernatural' section on BBC Sounds following a random recommendation I saw on here a while back (believe it might have come from @escargot - thank you :))

Unfortunately I keep running out of things to listen to! I'm enjoying both non fiction and fiction, but I'm particularly interested in listening to more supernatural drama i.e. ghost stories, strange tales etc. Can anyone recommend some for me? Or point me in the right direction?

EDIT: If I'm looking for fiction/drama, should I post in a different thread? :thought:

Can anyone recommend any supernatural drama podcasts or similar? I'd never really bothered with podcasts, but over the past 6 months or so I've gotten myself into the habit of regularly checking the 'Horror and Supernatural' section on BBC Sounds following a random recommendation I saw on here a while back (believe it might have come from @escargot - thank you :))

Unfortunately I keep running out of things to listen to! I'm enjoying both non fiction and fiction, but I'm particularly interested in listening to more supernatural drama i.e. ghost stories, strange tales etc. Can anyone recommend some for me? Or point me in the right direction?

EDIT: If I'm looking for fiction/drama, should I post in a different thread? :thought:
You could try here

Back