• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm loving The Quantum Mechanics podcast, thank you to everyone who has recommended it.

I'm working my way through it in a very sporadic way (not chronological). Has anyone heard the episode about the time travelling gas station? It's literally all about the thread on this forum. :D

I must give this a go. This case was the first episode of Thinking Sideways I ever listened to.

Thinking Sideways ended 4 years ago, but my favourite of the hosts, Joe, has a new, similar podcast called The Shocking Details

Thanks for the head's up. The existence of The Shocking Details had completely passed me by, and I'm now thoroughly enjoying the catching up. (Joe has one of my favourite voices in Podville).

Leans towards the True Crime genre (but not exclusively). I love - whereas so many podcasts cover and recover well worn ground - how these guys are still managing to find obscure nooks and crannies to rummage in.

...(Joe has one of my favourite voices in Podville)...

Actually, on the subject of favourite voices and True Crime:

Cedric and Melanie (French and Scottish respectively) of the Crime Most French podcast give me a relaxed feeling, often distinctly at odds with the subject matter discussed. (Yes, French...I know! What can I say? I'm obviously mellowing as I get older.)

Recommended for fans of (mostly historical) True Crime...and Scottish+French accents.

A new uncanny was released earlier today. Danny is joined by an actual Ghost - Laurence Rickard, who plays caveman Robin in the hit BBC sitcom Ghosts - for a special crossover episode. Laurence reveals the supernatural inspirations for the show, and tells Danny about his own real-life paranormal experiences.
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/uncanny/id1589938734?i=1000580818630

Bob Fischer, creator of 'Haunted Generation,' and contributor to FT, joins The Wide Atlantic Weird Podcast for a wide-ranging chat about Hauntology, and how ‘Haunted Generation’ feelings of an uncanny childhood differ around the world. Arthur C Clarke’s Mysterious World and the how the paranormal was presented in the 70s are discussed.

Wide Atlantic Weird is based in the the South East of Ireland.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/wide-atlantic-weird/id1448284008?i=1000582003241

There is an excellent true-crime podcast by the name of Criminal (Vox Media), and the latest episode (198) is entitled The Hammersmith Ghost and features FT's very own Alan Murdie guiding us through a case that is fascinating from both a Fortean and legal perspective. Very enjoyable, in my humble opinion!

I recently chanced upon this Ghostly Tales by the Fireside, podcast. U.K. based ghost stories, some I’m familiar with, others not. The presenter delivers well and I’m quite enjoying listening to the back catalogue. A lot of the episodes are quite short, i.e., 10 minutes or so, and my preference is for something in the 30 minute length, but still enjoyable, nevertheless.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...eside-true-ghost-stories-podcast/id1510288662

There is an excellent true-crime podcast by the name of Criminal (Vox Media), and the latest episode (198) is entitled The Hammersmith Ghost and features FT's very own Alan Murdie guiding us through a case that is fascinating from both a Fortean and legal perspective. Very enjoyable, in my humble opinion!

Criminal is one of the best crime podcasts around. I love the fact that it doesn't rely on blood and guts for its subject matter.

Oh, and I also love the artwork.

Just in time for Halloween, the comedian Rachel Fairburn (also host of the All Killa No Filla podcast) has launched Ghoul Guide, a new podcast that sees Rachel pay a visit to some of the UK's most haunted locales.

It's quite light-hearted and breezy, without being mocking or sneery. At the outset of each episode, Rachel is given a potted history of the location and then told three ghost stories linked to the site - one is a 'true' account and the other two are made up by her producer. She then chats to some locals and spends the night, before guessing which story she believes to be true. Quite a fun way to kill half an hour.

The ever-brilliant Quantum Mechanics have also dropped a Halloween special in which they dive into some of their favourite ghost stories. Haven't listened yet as am saving for tonight.

Another U.K. based Paranormal Podcast I recently stumbled across is “How Haunted?” hosted by Rob Kirkup. Rob is based in the North East, he delivers without the juvenile antics found with most podcasts and no unnecessary swearing and cussing.
Not the biggest back catalogue but very enjoyable thus far.

Halloween Episode was a Ghost Walk through York
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...rrible-histories-real-life-ghost/id1639335870

Has anyone mentioned "The Modern Fairy Sightings" hosted by Jo Hickey-Hall? Just found out about this one last night. She has guests who tell their experiences with fairy folk.

A quick 1/2 hour podcast with interesting stories. I've only listened to the first three. 2020 beginning of podcast as far as I can see, so I'll have a few bedtime stories to listen for a while.

This podcast is "da bomb", and while true crime focused, they also have paranormal stories and bits...
https://freshhellpodcast.com/
Two women, from opposite sides of the Atlantic, talk about murder, mystery and the macabre. This is your international true crime podcast, hosted by Annie and Johanna.

Annie, who lives with her husband in an old haunted house near Salem, Massachusetts, loves dogs, reading, knitting and talking about terrible, terrible things.

Johanna lives in Vienna, Austria with her husband, one beagle and a real dog. She loves The Beach Boys, movie marathons and fun facts about serial killers.

Their idea of a perfect Saturday night is, to spend it in bed, watching the newest true crime documentary, while eating licorice and peanut butter brownies. And now they are taking notes, so they can tell you everything!

Misery loves company, so listen to a new episode of the Fresh Hell Podcast each week and get into something truly horrible…

I’ve started to spring clean my podcast feed and get rid of all the shows that I have followed only to find when listening to them, they irritate me no end.
It was prompted by one particular paranormal podcast where I was subjected to over 3 minutes of the most awful intro music followed by 3 minutes of the minutiae of tidying up the kitchen after Christmas dinner. The host waffles and constantly repeats herself. Dreadful.
Another paranormal podcast that has been running for a number of years has some occasional interesting content but any guests are connected over the very worst phone lines and the host sounds like she is recording from a very hollow sounding bathroom. It really distracts from any interesting content on offer.
The third one I unfollowed has a male and female host, obviously unscripted as they consistently waffle and talk over one another, but they deliver this paranormal podcast as if they are addressing pre-school children. And it is noisy, the dialogue is interspersed with lots of unnecessary noise.

I suppose it it easy to criticise but if I ever get round to retiring, podcasting is something I would very much like to take up, however I wouldn’t bother if I couldn’t deliver something that sounds a bit more professional than some of those I have deleted this evening. No unnecessary noise, no ridiculous music, scripted and without the need to continuously waffle. And no co-host!

I do promote here and elsewhere the better podcasts and will continue to recommend those that are well put together, well delivered and with good content.

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand the wafflers. It seemed to be a trend for a while for podcasters for any subject I was interested in to spend unbelievable amounts of time (up to 30 minutes) preambling about what wonderful parents they were and how perfect their sprogs childhood was.:dunno:

Or ones where one speaker is REALLY LOUD so you have to turn the volume down but the other speaker is so quiet you can't hear them even if you turn the volume right up.

I appreciate that most people do not have professional recording equipment lying about but it needs to at least be listenable to, otherwise why bother?

One I've just stumbled across (actually saw it mentioned in the Sunday Past) that I don't think has been mentioned on here is The Interruption, a podcast investigating the Vrillon voice that interrupted British telly back in the 70s, and claims to have found an answer. All the episodes are available- haven't started listening myself yet, but it's on the list!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-interruption/id1654508940

One I've just stumbled across (actually saw it mentioned in the Sunday Past) that I don't think has been mentioned on here is The Interruption, a podcast investigating the Vrillon voice that interrupted British telly back in the 70s, and claims to have found an answer. All the episodes are available- haven't started listening myself yet, but it's on the list!

The Quantum Mechanics have just released an episode with the host which I enjoyed listening to today. Seems really interesting (I'd never heard of it) and I've seen a lot of good feedback. It's on my list too!

If Books Could Kill Podcast - Episode 6: "The Secret"
The Oprah-approved bestseller with three simple tenets: Science is fake, attitude causes everything and poor people don't want to be rich.
Rhonda Byrne's "The Secret" sold millions of copies based on a simple premise: All of science is fake and the only reason anything ever happens is because people manifest it by communicating with the universe.

https://podcasts.apple.com/sk/podcast/the-secret/id1651876897?i=1000593946585

One Twitter comment:
Had a gf once who thought she could "manifest" car parks right next to the door of shopping centres. Some life coach she paid actual money told her she has to start learning the power with small things like that.

Last edited:
One Twitter comment:
Had a gf once who thought she could "manifest" car parks right next to the door of shopping centres. Some life coach she paid actual money told her she has to start learning the power with small things like that.
I have that power:hapdan:, though I didn't have to pay for the knowledge. When you are looking for a parking space, in your mind picture an empty one waiting for you and voila, a space becomes available. I also do this with traffic lights. As I'm coming up to a traffic light, I picture the light turning green. Wonderful power. Please be aware that sometimes, results can vary.

I have that power:hapdan:, though I didn't have to pay for the knowledge. When you are looking for a parking space, in your mind picture an empty one waiting for you and voila, a space becomes available. I also do this with traffic lights. As I'm coming up to a traffic light, I picture the light turning green. Wonderful power. Please be aware that sometimes, results can vary.

You should sell this course online, make millions and split the profits with us all (I'm manifesting that last bit as I type).

I’ve noticed that with the advent of Patreon, a number of formally free podcasts are now putting some of their content behind a paywall. For the well researched and professionally made ones I don’t have a problem and there are one or two that I may subscribe to.

I do object to the two twats and a microphone type podcasts, unscripted, poorly presented and full of shrieking or hosts who have to swear every third word expecting payment. I could go down to the local and listen to similar over a cold beer if I thought it worth paying for.

I‘m also a little bit perplexed at the podcasters who ask listeners to send in their own stories which they then read out and ask you to pay for through Patreon. Are they sharing the “wedge“ with the contributors who provide the content of the podcasts? I doubt it.

But the ones that take the biscuit are those who get their listeners to record their experiences as a sound file and then stitch together the files to make a show, and also want you to contribute. The hosts appear to want open the podcast, close the podcast, let others provide the content and the sound, then want the listeners to pay for the work of others.

Am I being a bit naive here, or perhaps unfair?

One of my all time favourite podcasts is "The Stuff They Don't Want You to Know". They are three hosts and bill themselves as conspiracy realists. They present well researched podcasts and do address if the conspiracy topics they address are real or misinformation, or where the real separates into fiction.

I am not a conspiracy buff, but I do enjoy this podcast for their knowledge and insight.

The host also has an excellent YouTube channel, 'hochelaga', which is how I found out about this, and which would probably be of interest to people here.

I’ve noticed that with the advent of Patreon, a number of formally free podcasts are now putting some of their content behind a paywall. For the well researched and professionally made ones I don’t have a problem and there are one or two that I may subscribe to.

I do object to the two twats and a microphone type podcasts, unscripted, poorly presented and full of shrieking or hosts who have to swear every third word expecting payment. I could go down to the local and listen to similar over a cold beer if I thought it worth paying for.

I‘m also a little bit perplexed at the podcasters who ask listeners to send in their own stories which they then read out and ask you to pay for through Patreon. Are they sharing the “wedge“ with the contributors who provide the content of the podcasts? I doubt it.

But the ones that take the biscuit are those who get their listeners to record their experiences as a sound file and then stitch together the files to make a show, and also want you to contribute. The hosts appear to want open the podcast, close the podcast, let others provide the content and the sound, then want the listeners to pay for the work of others.

Am I being a bit naive here, or perhaps unfair?

I subscribe to Astonishing Legends Patreon to get access to the advert free feed and their Astonishing Junk Drawer content. It's well worth the £5 per month for the years of entertainment they have given me. The Junk Drawer content tends to be quite different to the main show as it is completely unstructured with lots of guests taking part. They also do it as a live video chat if you are on the right timezone.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the above. The content has to be very good to warrant me paying for something I could potentially get access to for free.

Back