• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've just started listening to Real Life Ghost Stories, I'm not sure how I haven't come across it earlier to be honest. Does anyone else listen to it? If so what are your thoughts? I'm enjoying the IHTM type episodes although so far there are a few that sound like creepypasta and reddit nosleep tales.

I've just started listening to Real Life Ghost Stories, I'm not sure how I haven't come across it earlier to be honest. Does anyone else listen to it? If so what are your thoughts? I'm enjoying the IHTM type episodes although so far there are a few that sound like creepypasta and reddit nosleep tales.
I listened to it for a while but became bored with the repetitiveness and, what I believe to be, the over exaggerated stories. IIRC there was a lot of demon type stories told which I also have no time for.

I listened to it for a while but became bored with the repetitiveness and, what I believe to be, the over exaggerated stories. IIRC there was a lot of demon type stories told which I also have no time for.

I've not hit too many demon type stories yet, although there was one where someone described how they had come across a truly disturbing entity yet continued to delve into the occult, which was somewhat eyebrow raising...

“Plants of the Gods: Hallucinogens, Healing, Culture and Conservation” is a new and unique podcast focusing on the hallucinogenic plants and fungi whose impact on world culture and religion – and healing potential - is only now beginning to be appreciated as never before.

https://plantsofthegods.libsyn.com/

Looks interesting:

https://plantsofthegods.libsyn.com/...e-uncontacted-tribes-of-the-amazon-rainforest

In this bonus episode, Dr. Mark Plotkin shares insights and personal experiences regarding the hallucinogens and arrow poisons of the uncontacted tribes of the Amazon rainforest. Join us for tales and observations regarding these extraordinary peoples who provide an unexpected and vivid link to a deep past, as well as a unique window onto the present and the future.

Actor Paul Giamatti and Dr. Stephen Asma (Author of "On Monsters") have an entertaining new podcast called Chinwag.

It's often silly and personal with a mix of strange ideas and scientific information. Entertaining.
https://www.treefort.fm/series/chinwag
Started listening to this yesterday, it's great. One of the most interesting things for me is that Paul Giamatti is clearly from as privileged a background in real life as is his character is in Billions(!)

Time to follow the White Rabbit.

Journalists and podcast hosts Jon Ronson and Gabriel Gatehouse join Marianna for a special episode of Americast delving deep down the rabbit hole of conspiracies.

The trio talk about why America is a breeding ground for conspiracies, how to spot them, and what happens if they’re true. We also look at whether conspiracies and misinformation might affect the outcome of the 2024 presidential election and what role artificial intelligence could play in their spread. HOST: • Marianna Spring, disinformation and social media correspondent GUESTS: • Jon Ronson, host of 'Things Fell Apart' • Gabriel Gatehouse, host of 'The Coming Storm'

Released On: 02 Jun 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001mcp8

The producers of Chinwag with Stephen Asma and Paul Giamatti have offered an interview with Dr. Asma if anyone is willing to write it up, particularly for Fortean Times. If anyone is interested, message me and I will forward the email.

I've no interest in doing that.

This one seems good:
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/atlantic

In June 2009, a man calling himself Peter Bergmann checked into a Sligo hotel.

Five days later his body was found on Rosses Point beach. Despite thousands of hours of police investigations, his true identity remains unknown.

In a three-part podcast, Irish Times Senior Features Writer Rosita Boland explores in detail the decade-long mystery of a man who came to Sligo to disappear

Still no identification.

A renewed appeal is being made for information on "Sligo Man", also known as Peter Bergmann, whose body was discovered on the West Coast 14 years ago.

Locate International, a global missing persons register, launched another appeal seeking the identity of an unidentified man who was found dead on Rosses Point beach in Co Sligo on June 16th, 2009.

The man, thought to have been in his 50s or 60s, had previously been staying at the Sligo City Hotel in Sligo town where he checked-in for three days in with the name Peter Bergmann and an address, both of which proved to be fake.

The address he provided was in Vienna, Austria, but police later confirmed it was false.

Mr Bergmann, who was 5'10" in height, with grey hair and blue eyes, had also disposed of his belongings in a purple plastic bag during his trip, avoiding CCTV whilst doing so.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...-on-sligo-man-found-14-years-ago-1514841.html

Still no identification.

A renewed appeal is being made for information on "Sligo Man", also known as Peter Bergmann, whose body was discovered on the West Coast 14 years ago.

Locate International, a global missing persons register, launched another appeal seeking the identity of an unidentified man who was found dead on Rosses Point beach in Co Sligo on June 16th, 2009.

The man, thought to have been in his 50s or 60s, had previously been staying at the Sligo City Hotel in Sligo town where he checked-in for three days in with the name Peter Bergmann and an address, both of which proved to be fake.

The address he provided was in Vienna, Austria, but police later confirmed it was false.

Mr Bergmann, who was 5'10" in height, with grey hair and blue eyes, had also disposed of his belongings in a purple plastic bag during his trip, avoiding CCTV whilst doing so.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland...-on-sligo-man-found-14-years-ago-1514841.html
I wonder why they haven’t tried DNA to find living relatives as has been done with finding murderers? Is it too expensive? Was DNA not collected from his body?

I wonder why they haven’t tried DNA to find living relatives as has been done with finding murderers? Is it too expensive? Was DNA not collected from his body?
I'd guess that the police would want to use cheaper methods first (man being identified as missing person by relatives etc), plus the man having obviously wanted not to be identified.

Which raises the question - if someone wants to die without anyone knowing or being informed, is there a moral question involved in finding out their identity? Does the right of others to know trump the right of the deceased not to let them know?

I'd guess that the police would want to use cheaper methods first (man being identified as missing person by relatives etc), plus the man having obviously wanted not to be identified.

Which raises the question - if someone wants to die without anyone knowing or being informed, is there a moral question involved in finding out their identity? Does the right of others to know trump the right of the deceased not to let them know?
I think this might be a moot question. The person is dead. Nothing matters in relation to that fact.

Considering that families suffer, sometimes for decades, when a relative goes missing, I would put it that relieving the suffering should be the first consideration.

I think this might be a moot question. The person is dead. Nothing matters in relation to that fact.

Considering that families suffer, sometimes for decades, when a relative goes missing, I would put it that relieving the suffering should be the first consideration.
I have no doubt that some of the people who 'vanish' or turn up dead with no identification, have very good reasons for wanting the people left behind to suffer. Do we have the right to override their wishes?

I have no doubt that some of the people who 'vanish' or turn up dead with no identification, have very good reasons for wanting the people left behind to suffer. Do we have the right to override their wishes?
To be blunt, they're dead. If they've disappeared intentionally, we would have no way of knowing this unless they had left something saying this.

To be blunt, they're dead. If they've disappeared intentionally, we would have no way of knowing this unless they had left something saying this.
It's an interesting thought though. If the wishes of the living outweigh the wishes of the dead, why would we need wills?

It's an interesting thought though. If the wishes of the living outweigh the wishes of the dead, why would we need wills?
It involves money? :dunno:

Though I didn't say anything about people's wishes. I said that if nothing is left, then no one knows.

But despite that people in general, care about after their death, they really have no way of knowing that their wishes are followed.it is the living who decide to follow them.

It is because of this, I think, that the living put weight to people's last wishes. Because they want to know it will be done for them.

Pale Columbia is a historical horror-fiction immersive audio drama. Join The Revolution as the Founding Fathers fight the Brits and the Blight.

Listen to Pale Columbia wherever you get your podcasts.

Pale Columbia Teaser

Prologue: Monticello Letters of Correspondence

palec.jpg

https://www.newsjustin.press/pale-columbia/

Interesting podcast that I listened to in the early hours of this morning whilst the Ghost of a dead deer that I had for dinner was haunting me with a severe case of dyspepsia.

My take on this is most psychics are either deluded or are plain liars. There are no demons, and ghost hunting shows are a load of bullshit hosted by presenters who don’t understand the difference between technology and science. This went some way to meeting my understanding of the current ghost scene.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...upernatural-ufos/id1656092392?i=1000591048454

From the show notes

ESP, Hauntings and Poltergeists, first published in 1986, is reprinted with minor changes and minimal updates [Note that the authors subsequent books have much of the update material already].
Writing the book during the height of the (now-defunct) accredited Master's degree program at John F. Kennedy University in the San Francisco Bay Area, parapsychologist Loyd Auerbach put together a true handbook for those interested in all forms of psychic phenomena and experiences, with a eye towards investigation of the paranormal (apparitions, hauntings and poltergeists).
The material is presented in four sections with appendices.
Section One is a "handbook" providing basic foundation knowledge of parapsychology and psychical research, psychic phenomena and experiences, and even the skeptical viewpoint.
Section Two takes a look at Pop Culture -- from TV and film to science fiction and comic books -- and news and reality TV coverage of the topics.
Section Three is a casebook of sorts, covering famous cases of hauntings (including an expose of the Amityville Horror case) as well as cases investigated by some of Auerbach's colleagues (and his own very first case).
Section Four is the handbook for the would-be paranormal investigator / ghost hunter. It's a step by step manual that contradicts so much of what has been altered by television producers for reality TV. Coming from the 100+ years of field investigation of the paranormal by his predecessors, colleagues, and his own experience, this common sense guide will enable people to truly investigate, understand, and generally resolve ghostly issues. Honest and direct, even if you think you know how to investigate, this section alone will enlighten you in ways you may not have imagined.
Finally, the Appendices provide resources for any and all interested in the topics covered by the book.

Last edited:
I think this fits here.

Fire Draw Near is a fascinating monthly podcast dedicated to the history of Irish folk songs

Gather 'round, readers, and hear Lankum's Ian Lynch host Fire Draw Near, a monthly podcast dedicated to the history of Irish folk songs. In each episode, Lynch breaks down a song's narrative, discusses its various interpretations, and how these different iterations came about if the origin is known.

Typically, the folk song comes from a spoken tradition, and is carried from person to person, often from pub to pub, where much of the world's oldest popular music got its start. Eventually, some songs are standardized into broadside form. From there, the sheets make their way across the country, rambling as they are wont to do, and in turn become adapted by many a bard 'cross the land.

Some stay in their oral form and the morals change wildly until they are recorded and standardized, to some degree. Songs chart these waters, and a few change paths. The complexity of marrying oral tradition with the printed word is a rich topic, and the songs that come about from this union are beautiful and storied. Many a ditty warns women of men, and tells of scorned lovers, unholy unions and further yarns on topics from yesteryore's tabloids. Beware loose women and rambling men!

From there, Fire Draw Near compares the differing versions of each tune, the interpretations of which are so starkly opposed to each other that they are barely discernible as the same song. Different folk artist's interpretations give the songs varying flavor, ranging from funeral dirge to stein-clanking drinking song. Field recording, acoustic set and psychedelic folk revival alike are all cataloged here. ...

https://boingboing.net/2023/10/06/f...cated-to-the-history-of-irish-folk-songs.html

The Strange Sessions was the first podcast I got into and now that I'm up to date after binging for months, I'm looking for a similar paranormal/supernatural podcast.

I've found tons of them, but none with the same vibe as The Strange Sessions, which feels like hanging out with 2 best friends who happen to be super interesting. All of the others I've found either have that annoying NPR-Whisper-Into-The-Microphone-Breathing-Heavily type vibe or they're just telling stories with no discussion or worse yet, frat bros "aww yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahh" kind of rahrah stuff. I just want 2 normal people to discuss paranormal stuff! Any recommendations?

I've never listened to The Strange Sessions but I really enjoy The Quantum Mechanics. Despite the title, they generally don't discuss physics and instead cover a wide variety of paranormal related topics. I think they started the podcast in 2020 so there are a few years of content to get your teeth into!

You might find this thread helpful as podcasts are sometimes recommended on there:
TV & Radio Reminders

The Strange Sessions was the first podcast I got into and now that I'm up to date after binging for months, I'm looking for a similar paranormal/supernatural podcast.

I've found tons of them, but none with the same vibe as The Strange Sessions, which feels like hanging out with 2 best friends who happen to be super interesting. All of the others I've found either have that annoying NPR-Whisper-Into-The-Microphone-Breathing-Heavily type vibe or they're just telling stories with no discussion or worse yet, frat bros "aww yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahh" kind of rahrah stuff. I just want 2 normal people to discuss paranormal stuff! Any recommendations?

Astonishing Legends is your answer. Available wherever you get your podcasts.

But there is already a thread here.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fortean-podcasts.26975/

Back