• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Shops, Restaurants & Businesses

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
(A thread for Fortean-themed businesses such as bookstores or shops or restaurants etc.)

Little A'Le'Inn
Rachel Nevada USA

http://www.littlealeinn.com/

A little place made famous by countless "Area 51" documentaries, the Little A'Le'Inn has become something of a tourist attraction in its own right.

Have a coffee, relax in a coffin to contemplate ...
'Death Awareness Cafe' puts customers in coffins to reflect on life

A cafe in Thailand is using a macabre gimmick to draw in customers -- closing them in coffins after finishing coffee.

The Death Awareness Cafe in Bangkok features mortuary-inspired decor and coffins placed for customers to spend time closed inside after their purchased beverages.<

Veeranut Rojanaprapa, the cafe's owner, said the purpose of the cafe is to inspire customers to reflect on their lives. He said the idea was inspired by Buddhist philosophy and is aimed at encouraging people not to be driven by greed.

"Our main goal is for the visitor to experience the death awareness," he said. "When the lid of the coffin closes, their basic instincts will come up and they will realize that eventually they cannot take anything with them."
SOURCE: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fortean-shops-restaurants-etc.51160/

Last edited:
The Haunted Bookshop in Melbourne, Australia. Their website below mostly plugs the ghost tours the owner does by night, but the shop itself it great. New & second hand books on the occult, magick, ghosts, ufos and all things esoteric. It's great and you can easily waste hours browsing through the titles there.
http://www.haunted.com.au/

The Highwayman pub, in Sourton, Devon. Just on the edge of Dartmoor.

Most amazing place. Buy a drink and you can park up for the night for free.
This place is an endless warren of the weird amd peculiar. The food is great, the staff are friendly. There is a statue of death lurking in one corner, in another corner the devil watches over a bunch of taxidermied road kill. 100 visits and you couldn't see it all.

The first time we went I was served drinks by TV Smith from The Adverts. The second time we talked to a guy who had played in bands with people like Ozzy Osbourne back in the 60s.

Amazing place.

http://www.thehighwaymaninn.net

Last edited:
The Highwayman pub, in Sourton, Devon. Just on the edge of Dartmoor.

Most amazing place. Buy a drink and you can park up for the night for free.
This place is an endless warren of the weird amd peculiar. The food is great, the staff are friendly. There is a statue of death lurking in one corner, in another corner the devil watches over a bunch of taxidermied road kill. 100 visits and you couldn't see it all.

The first time we went I was served drinks by TV Smith from The Adverts. The second time we talked to a guy who had played in bands with people like Ozzy Osbourne back in the 60s.

Amazing place.

http://www.thehighwaymaninn.net

I've just been reading their website. This place looks incredible.

There's the wonderful Pit and Pendulum pub in Nottingham, and the Frankenstein bar in Edinburgh. I think they may be run by the same organisation

There's an amazing little shop in Norwich called Mr P Milne's Antiques & Curios that me and the Mrs found by accident one day in the lower side of Norwich. It's located down a small ally way so only the adventurous find it which adds to it's appeal.

Walking through the crushed velvet curtains into the shop, my jaw dropped because it looks like a film set .. the place was deserted which added to the mystery, a huge stuffed owl mounted behind a counter visible and all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff ..

.. and then the 'stuffed' owl turned to look at us and blinked! .. and then a bloke in a top hat slowly and theatrically stood up from where he'd been watching us from behind his counter.

That's when I fell in love with this store. The owner's a good laugh and lives, eats and breathes weird so it wasn't long before I was collecting taxidermy quality roadkill for him to stuff (as you do) .. I can't wait to go back here again, hopefully it's still open after lockdown etc .. this video does a good job of summing the place up, he buys his white mice already dead from pet supply stores and uses a polyfoam technique to stuff them ..

I’m taking the family to Bury St Edmunds tomorrow for a Saturday and Sunday night mini break.

I know what an old town Bury is, and we are looking forward to visiting it’s many ancient pubs, but does any of our members have or know any fortean tales about Bury…?

Hope you all had great Christmases, and a happy new year to you all.

Ta
DT

I’m taking the family to Bury St Edmunds tomorrow for a Saturday and Sunday night mini break.

I know what an old town Bury is, and we are looking forward to visiting it’s many ancient pubs, but does any of our members have or know any fortean tales about Bury…?

Hope you all had great Christmases, and a happy new year to you all.

Ta
DT
A bit late now (only just seen your post), but for any future trips that way, have a look at Carl Grove's postings on the 'Rougham' case(s) Dick.

A bit late now (only just seen your post), but for any future trips that way, have a look at Carl Grove's postings on the 'Rougham' case(s) Dick.
Cheers Floyd. Mrs DT really liked Bury and wants to go back in the spring for the weekend, so I'll check it out.

Back