• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Why's she singing 'I'm the man, the man of the hour'?

I wouldn't put mushrooms like that in my salad.

[QUOTE
="dreeness ., post: 1700326, member: 48896"]:nods:

[/QUOTE]

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Oh no, they say he's got to go go go Godzilla
Oh no, there goes Tokyo go go Godzilla

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

The Flying Saucer, Billy Cotton Band, 1950

Not sure how I had avoided hearing or at least knowing of this novelty number, which comes from quite early in the craze and before most of the Sci-Fi movies. Those "two little men," turn out to be very camp! :abduct:

The music is by Arthur Pitt, the lyrics are by Elaine Wise.

The original lyrics are more extensive and US-oriented than the version Billy Cotton gives.

It seems Ella Fitzgerald, no less, recorded it the following year.

FlyingSaucerSheetMusic.jpg

Billy Cotton was something of a phenomenon himself, according to this piece! His Southport connections were something I had forgotten - or maybe never knew!

Last edited:
Dare we investigate the other side of that record? We might as well, while it can be found on Youtube.

Charles Randolph Grean: The Thing, Alan Breeze, The Bandits, Billy Cotton Band, from Decca F 9583, r. 1950

The song has its own Wikipedia page, which lists a number of versions in the wake of the Phil Harris original, though it misses out this Billy Cotton version.

Wikipedia says the song was aired a lot during the period when teaser-ads for the 1951 Howard Hawks' picture, The Thing From Another World were running but this seems to be coincidence. The lettering, however, on the sheet music does reflect the style used in the posters for the film:

TheThingSheetMusic.jpg

The tune is essentially The Linconshire Poacher, which has Fortean form in its baleful Number Station incarnation. There is nothing too scary in this song, which uses three knocks to designate an unknown Thing in a box. It is essentially an old-fashioned comedy number with an element of innuendo. :band:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the Fall song "Before the Moon Falls" is a deliberate reference to Hanns Horbiger's cosmic ice theory.

Someone's already mentioned in this thread that The Fall have a fair few Fortean songs, but by far the creepiest has got to be "Impression of J. Temperance".

A never-seen dog breeder
This is the tale of his replica

Wardruna

Helvegen -----------The way to Hel

Hvem skal synge meg—————————————Who shall sing me
i daudsvevna slynge meg———————————-into the death-sleep sling me
når eg på Helvegen går————————————When I walk on the Path of Death
og dei spora eg trår er kalda, så kalda—————and the tracks I tread are cold, so cold

Eg songane søkte——————————————-I sought the songs
Eg songane sende——————————————I sent the songs
då den djupaste brunni———————————when the deepest well
gav meg dråper så ramme—————————gave me the drops so touched
av Valfaders pant——————————————of Death-fathers wager

Alt veit eg, Odin———————————————I know it all, Odin
var du gjømde ditt auge——————————where you hid your eye

Hvem skal synge meg—————————————Who shall sing me
i daudsvevna slynge meg———————————-into the death-sleep sling me
når eg på Helvegen går————————————When I walk on the Path of Death
og dei spora eg trår er kalda, så kalda—————and the tracks I tread are cold, so cold

Årle ell i dagars hell—————————————-early in the days end
enn veit ravnen om eg fell——————————--still the raven knows if I fall

Når du ved Helgrindi står ———————————When you stand by the Gate of Death
og når du laus deg må riva———————————And you have to tear free
skal eg fylgje deg———————————————I shall follow you over
Gjallarbrua med min song—————————--across the Resounding Bridge with my song

Du blir løyst frå banda som bind deg!————You will be free from the bonds that bind you!
Du er løyst frå banda som batt deg!—————You are free from the bonds that bound that you!

Quote from Håvamål -- The High Ones Speech, Poetic
Edda Døyr fe, døyr frender———————————--Cattle die, kinsmen die
Døyr sjølv det sama——————————————---You yourself will also die
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr——————————but the word about you will never die
vinn du et gjetord gjevt—————————————-if you win a good reputation

Døyr fe, døyr frender ——————————————-Cattle die, kinsmen die
Døyr sjølv det sama———————————————-You yourself will also die
Eg veit et som aldreg døyr————————————-I know one that never dies
dom om daudan kvar——————————————--the reputation of those who died

Just saw this great photo posted on FB of Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, s/he was diagnosed with leukaemia last year. I saw Psychic TV play in June last year at The Fleece in Bristol, was a good show but seemed very short. S/he was wearing the ''Fuck Cancer'' t-shirt during the performance.

28056842_1568987193191266_7733716856253562550_n.jpg

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge diagnosed with leukaemia
By Sam Moore Oct 20, 2017 8:10 pm

The co-founder of the bands Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV revealed the diagnosis in a Facebook post yesterday (October 19), explaining that “serious treatments” for her chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia will begin next week.

“We kept hoping we’d be OK but today heard the illness has got worse this week. My sincere, oh so sad apologies for all of you who bought tickets,” P-Orridge wrote in the post, referencing Psychic TV’s upcoming tour dates.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/genesis-breyer-p-orridge-leukaemia-diagnosis-2152098

Dance, Trance, and Devil Pacts: The Fiddler and Norwegian Folk Mysticism
March 30, 2018

In traditional Norwegian society, like absolutely anywhere else, there was only one way to become a master musician, and that was through meticulous practice and dedication, preferably under the guidance of a master. For many fortunate souls the teacher came in the form of a close relative, if not the father, then perhaps an uncle, and while most performers were probably born into such a tradition, folklore purports that alternative, and far more sinister educations existed. Particularly ambitious fiddlers sold their souls to the devil, while others sought guidance from the spirits of nature. For the best fiddlers, their craft may be described as a shaman-like path of initiation that made him a vessel of otherworldly, and often dangerous, musical experiences.

https://www.brutenorse.com/blog/201...pacts-the-fiddler-in-norwegian-folk-mysticism

Back