• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Trunk Records have just released a CD called Music Of The Future by Desmond Leslie who was one of the original authors of UFO books in the 1950's. A true English eccentic and composer as well as author and investigator, Leslie's most famous work was The Flying Saucers Have Landed in 1959.

This recording has never been released before and previously only exisited as a privately-pressed acetate from which this disc (pardon the pun) has been mastered.

With titles like 'Destruction Of The Flies', 'Sacrifice BC 5000' and 'Death Of Satan' it is quite unlike anything you are likely to ever hear despite being recorded in the late 50's.

Experimental in nature, the music was also licensed to Joseph Weinberger and featured in an early episode of Doctor Who.

Very strange stuff indeed!

Huckleberry Swamp Hound~ said:
Trunk Records have just released a CD called Music Of The Future by Desmond Leslie who was one of the original authors of UFO books in the 1950's. A true English eccentic and composer as well as author and investigator, Leslie's most famous work was The Flying Saucers Have Landed in 1959.

This recording has never been released before and previously only exisited as a privately-pressed acetate from which this disc (pardon the pun) has been mastered.

With titles like 'Destruction Of The Flies', 'Sacrifice BC 5000' and 'Death Of Satan' it is quite unlike anything you are likely to ever hear despite being recorded in the late 50's.

Experimental in nature, the music was also licensed to Joseph Weinberger and featured in an early episode of Doctor Who.

Very strange stuff indeed!

That just got a mention in the current mag FT206:29 - here is the Trunk Records page:

www.trunkrecords.com/turntable/desmond_leslie.shtml

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009 ... ntmagaz-21

See also this link for his obit:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 392#425392

This is to my mind very strange - a song cycle by controversial R&B singer R. Kelly about a guy trapped in a closet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapped_In_The_Closet
"Trapped In The Closet" is a single released by R&B singer R. Kelly. The song is an ongoing narrative which Kelly has sent to radio one part at a time. As of November 2005, twelve parts have been released, played on radio. The story is about a man named Sylvester, portrayed by Kelly. Sylvester is likely named after Kelly's middle name.

The song is notable and unique for many reasons including its absence of a chorus, its detailed and linear narration of a story in a conversational and sometimes rambling manner, its dramatics, and its dangling cliffhangers that occur between parts. Detractors of the song argue the story is told with a choppy, semi-literate tone, while the music and vocalization are the same in every part of the song. Kelly maintains that he is a genius for pioneering what he calls, "hip-hopera."

And later on down the page they describe the songs. Listen to this description for Chapter 10:
Chapter 10
The Midget jumps out of the cabinet and fights with James who has the clear upper hand. The midget runs under the table. Bridget runs upstairs and searches her purse for a phone number. James demands of the midget what he was doing in James' house. The midget wipes cherry pie crust crumbs off his face and responds that he was paid not to tell. James points his gun directly at the midget who admits that he has just "shitted on [him]self". Back at Sylvester's house, he, Twan, and Gwen are enjoying themselves and playing cards when the phone rings. Gwen answers it. It's Bridget, panicked, who found Gwen's number in James' pocket. Gwen gives Sylvester the address, presumably to go over and stop the fight. Back at James' house James and the midget are still fighting when Bridget bursts into the kitchen with a double barrel shotgun, James draws his pistol, the midget pulls out his inhaler. Suddenly, Twan and Sylvester burst in with guns drawn to defuse the scene and notice a peculiar odor coming from the midget's trousers. The midget then faints because of all the madness.

Ending "cliffhanger" line: "...Twan and Sylvester are sniffin' around, tryin' to figure out, 'What's that smell?' As they turn and look at each other like, 'What the hell?'..."

Ever watched The Shining and wondered who did the haunting opening music and discordant tracks throughout?

Well okay I did :p . After a bit of research I couldn't track down a soundtrack album (long since out of print) but did find out the composer was Wendy Carlos. A contempory and assistant to Moog, born Walter Carlos, becoming Wendy Carlos after a gender reassignment, she also did the electronic scores for Tron and her music was used on the score to A Clockwork Orange.

Lucky for me she also released a couple of greatest hits albums last year Recovering Lost Scores, Volume 1 and Volume 2 which draw together the out of print scores from The Shining, Tron and Clockwork Orange.

W Carlos recorded the two breakthrough albums for the Moog in the 60s. Switched on Bach and Switched on Classics. Each of which must have involved a lot of work as the Moog (and most early analogue synthesisers) was monotonic, so it could only play one note at a time.

The most noteworthy thing was that Switched on Bach was recorded by Walter Carlos, and Switched on Classics by Wendy. (I think that's the right order.)

I love Wendy Carlos. She also did the Tron soundtrack. Her newer albums suck, since she seems to believe that the synthesizer should be used to create 'real instrument' sounds now. Blah.

Edit: drunkenness causes redundancy in data accumulation

January 23: Monstrous Movie Music now on CD

Fango heard from Monstrous Movie Music about a pair of new CDs containing score material from a number of classic creature features. MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (AND OTHER RAY HARRYHAUSEN ANIMATION CLASSICS) contains lengthy suites of Roy Webb’s work from the giant-ape fave and a combination of Mischa Bakaleinikoff compositions and Columbia library cues from 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH, as well as a shorter suite of Paul Sawtell music from THE ANIMAL WORLD. THIS ISLAND EARTH (AND OTHER ALIEN INVASION FILMS) includes the complete Herman Stein score from EARTH (including music cut from the film) as well as a long suite from THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (Ron Goodwin) and main-title themes from EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS and WAR OF THE SATELLITES.

Each CD comes with a 40-page book containing liner notes, never-before-released photos and musical scores, and is available for $18.99 plus postage from the Monstrous site linked above. You can also go there to find out more about the company’s previous genre CDs and listen to audio excerpts (here’s one from TRIFFIDS). —Michael Gingold

www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5446

Ooh! That Fangoria CD sounds super. :D I just got a Joe Meek box set. Aside from producing some truly bizarre music, he was also a UFO fanatic and once held a seance to contact Buddy Holly. Excellent stuff.

I had never heard of 'skiffle' before, and now I am fascinated by it.

How I found Grieg up a mountain
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 28/02/2008

Pianist Leif Ove Andsnes explains to Geoffrey Norris the lengths - and heights - he went to in pursuit of his hero

When was the last time you saw someone playing a grand piano thousands of feet up a mountain? A cynic might dismiss it as some sort of gimmick, but this is Leif Ove Andsnes we are talking about, one of today's most compelling, deep-thinking musicians and the least publicity-hungry person you could imagine.

His high-altitude performance, with the piano perched perilously above a snowy abyss, provides the visual climax to a fascinating documentary DVD in which Andsnes traverses Europe delving into the often misunderstood personality of a composer with whom he has long been linked.

As a Norwegian, Andsnes first made his mark here in the piano concerto by his fellow countryman Edvard Grieg. That was almost two decades ago, since when his discerning interpretations across a broad range of music, from Haydn and Mozart to Schubert, Chopin and Brahms and on to Rachmaninov, Janácek and Szymanowski have earned him a lustrous reputation worldwide.

He is now in the happy position of being able more or less to dictate what he plays, preferring to concentrate on specific areas of repertoire for a certain period before moving on to another one. It was in this way that he came back to Grieg.

Grieg was always a popular composer, as much in his own lifetime as now. The early triumph of the piano concerto, written when he was in his mid-twenties, triggered international fame, as did his first book of Lyric Pieces Op 12 for solo piano. This is the familiar face of Grieg, tuneful, charming, uncomplicated, exquisitely crafted.

advertisementAndsnes maintains that "the first book of Lyric Pieces was so successful that there was pressure on him to compose that kind of thing, which is why he went on to write nine more books of them. It was easy for him." And it was something that sparked the notorious, stinging criticism from Debussy that Grieg's music was like "pink sweets filled with snow".

But this tells only part of the story. The real crux of Andsnes's DVD, and of the solo recital he is giving at London's Festival Hall next month, is a rarely-heard piece that speaks powerfully and troublingly of internal conflict, with an intensity of emotion far removed from Grieg's genial façade. This is the Ballade in G minor Op 24, written in 1875-76 when he was in his early thirties. Whether because of the turbulent feelings it embodies or because of its sheer physical demands, Grieg never played it himself in public.

"I always had problems with it," says Andsnes.

"It has a very special place in Grieg's output and his life, because he was in a period of depression when he composed it. Shortly before writing the Ballade, both his parents had died, and you can hear that struggle in it, that stagnation and resignation."

Panning out from that time of grief, it is tempting to hear the Ballade as a manifestation of contradictions in Grieg's character, which, for the most part, remained hidden.

"He could be incredibly self-centred," explains Andsnes, "but he was very generous with his friends. As a composer, he is seen as a conservative figure, but he said late in life that he was afraid he was not keeping up with what younger people were doing. He was a man of tremendous melancholy, but also with a tendency to be angry and impetuous."

In Norway Grieg was, and is, a national icon. However, while he welcomed Norway's independence from Sweden in 1905, he disliked the country's insularity, lampooning Norwegian rigidity, it is said, in his dry depiction of the trolls in his incidental music to Ibsen's Peer Gynt.

His own musical education was central European, specifically in Leipzig, and we are perhaps wrong to view his music as typically Norwegian. "Of course," says Andsnes, "he used dances and folk tunes to spice his language, but the imagination and the harmonies are essentially his own.

"Working with the Ballade, I sometimes think it's a little sad that he didn't manage to do something similar more often. What was it that was so difficult for him? He tried to write a second piano concerto, but couldn't. There were long periods when he couldn't write a note."

Grieg died in 1907 aged 64, and Andsnes detects "a conflict in his last 20 years of being so popular internationally while not being able to provide much that was new".

But, returning to the mountain top, one feature the Ballade shares with Norway is its expansive horizons. In both, as Andsnes says, "there's so much beauty and space".

Andsnes plays at the Festival Hall on March 10; tickets 0871 663 2509. Ballad for Edvard Grieg is available on DVD (EMI 5 12128 9) and CD (EMI 3 94399 2)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... ieg128.xml

I had to post this, as I'm going to Norway in May. Also, decades ago my father played the lead in Song of Norway, a musical based on Grieg's life.

I think the Scott Walker albums Tilt and The Drift fit into this category for no other reason that they both sound so weird there's nothing else like them. Incredibly bleak, singlemindedly disturbing (one song has Elvis anguishedly crying out to his dead twin "I'm the only one left alive!") and difficult to understand fully, they're fascinating to hear. I've only recently discovered them and recommend them to you if you fancy a challenge.

Plus Scott is a strange fellow in himself, very enigmatic.

I might have to check those out.

I've got Scott Walker sings Jaques Brel and that's pretty good... he does seem to go for the dramatic and dark stuff...

BlackRiverFalls said:
I might have to check those out.

I've got Scott Walker sings Jaques Brel and that's pretty good... he does seem to go for the dramatic and dark stuff...

Yeah, do check them out! I'd heard bits and pieces of them before and thought they were interesting, but I really had to hear them both straight through to appreciate their power. This was inspired by the film about Scott that was on BBC Four a month or two ago and is also recommended (he seemed a nice guy despite his nightmarish music!).

One of the greatest musical eccentrics of the twentieth century has to be Ivor Cutler, and his last album, A Flat Man, has just been reissued by his family. I was listening to it tonight, and although it's supposed to be his "darkest" album there was still stuff that had me laughing out loud. Nice to hear his weirdness didn't mellow with old age.

I've been listening to Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, which is kind of like finding a cassette in the street, taking it home and putting it on to hear that it sounds a bit like recognisable tunes, but the tape is so warped that it's difficult to make out what. Except that's what it's supposed to sound like. Silly voices, melodies ruined, and oddly disturbing in its way.

Tool are quite keen on their numerology, it would seem. Someone pointed out to me the other day that the rhythm of the lyrics in their song "Lateralus" follow the Fibonacci sequence. One quick Wikipedia hunt later, it was confirmed...

Counting between pauses, the syllables in Maynard James Keenan's vocals during the verses form the first few Fibonacci numbers, ascending and descending:

(1) Black,
(1) then,
(2) white are,
(3) all I see,
(5) in my infancy,
(8 ) red and yellow then came to be,
(5) reaching out to me,
(3) lets me see.
(2) There is,
(1) so,
(1) much,
(2) more and
(3) beckons me,
(5) to look through to these,
(8 ) infinite possibilities.
(13) As below so above and beyond I imagine,
(8 ) drawn outside the lines of reason.
(5) Push the envelope.
(3) Watch it bend.
The Fibonacci sequence shares a relationship with spirals, which are mentioned several times later in the lyrics.

The time signatures of the chorus change from 9/8 to 8/8 to 7/8; as drummer Danny Carey says, "It was originally titled 9-8-7. For the time signatures. Then it turned out that 987 was the 17th step of the Fibonacci sequence. So that was cool."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus_%28song%29

Also, mention should be given to Tom Waits, for a variety of songs concerning "freaks" and human oddities, real and imagined, "Eyeball Kid", "Tabletop Joe", "Poor Edward" etc.

Oh, and has anyone mentioned Zappa's "Inca Roads" yet? Beautiful and impossibly difficult piece of music, but lyrically poking fun at Von Daniken's Ancient Astronaut theory...

The Misfits 1979 single release "Horror Business", which had as it's B-side "Teenagers from Mars" & "Children in Heat" originally came with a insert explaining strange sounds on the recording:

""On February 28, 1979, the Misfits and a mobile recording unit entered an abandoned haunted house in northern New Jersey. They recorded and left. While mixing the tapes back at a NYC recording studio, strange voices and noises were heard in the background. No explanation of these sounds could be given by the band or the recording crew.""

/.....cool

Allegedly contained in the song "Teenagers from Mars", where there is a kinda screaming and moaning in the back of the track. I'd love to try and perpetuate this legend, but most Misfits-Historians consider this story to be "bogus".

/...still cool though

Metallica - The Thing That Should Not Be

Messenger of Fear in sight
Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea
Pray for Father, roaming free

fearless Wretch
insanity
He watches
lurking beneath the sea
great Old One
forbidden site