• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Themes In Art, Craft & Creativity

Drolleries from medieval manuscripts. Now /this/ is what I want in a cryptid! both webbed and clawed feet, multiple tail fronds, playing a flute-thingy!

1566502184547.png

https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/rainbow-coloured-beasts-from-15th-century-book-of-hours/

Last edited:
Any offers for Aibo Fruti Done? I think the tilde makes me think of something hispanic I think. Perhaps.

But then it would usually be over an N, at least today, to signify a missing second N. Maybe it's a contraction mark in general as used in manuscripts?

Any offers for Aibo Fruti Done? I think the tilde makes me think of something hispanic I think. Perhaps.

But then it would usually be over an N, at least today, to signify a missing second N. Maybe it's a contraction mark in general as used in manuscripts?
I'm thinking it's Galician.

Google translate suggests it's Shona. But that appears unlikely. It doesn't offer any translation though.

Any offers for Aibo Fruti Done?

Aibos, perhaps a variant of Arbos, tree in Latin?
Done, a gift or I give?
I give you the fruits of the tree? Or the tree gives these fruits?
Hard to do the grammar when the language isn't certain!

Related images in manuscripts often show these strange fruits being harvested by eager ladies from the tree! :actw:

My #36 above could be read as 'I have done (grown) a fruit.

Oddly, something similar crossed my mind when I first saw it. Cartoon genitalia. Then I thought, no, not likely.

Most women would just carve a notch on the bed post.

A lovely brooch from outside Bridgnorth, Shropshire. Nice example of a piece of art using a classical mythological and decorative motif without the implication being that it indicates a continuing pagan religious strand. Yes some green man enthusiasts, I'm looking at you here! :p

Of course, we can't say absolutely that it doesn't indicate a continuing pagan religious strand. :spider:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52454379

Picture from the British Museum's Portable Antiquities scheme.

1588168774594.png

I'd say it was a centaur, but it looks leonine too. Was there a half-man, half-lion mythological beast? Manticore, maybe?

I'd say it was a centaur, but it looks leonine too. Was there a half-man, half-lion mythological beast? Manticore, maybe?

I was about to say "no manes" but.... d'oh! :D

human + lion is a sphinx. Running through my mental images, I think I "see" a sphinx as not having human torso and arms? Maybe that's just the egyptian version. Given the joyous interpretations of the Bestiaries I don't think we need to stick to classical models.

@GNC Now this is just.... fortean doesn't even start to describe it! wtf!

1588186312645.png

I think I'd still go for horse but this lion is close! 1460

I think horse too - the tail is a giveaway and it might be my imagination, but I think I see hooves.

It's generally accepted that centaurs originated in ancient Greece and would likely have been introduced to Britain with the Romans but this predates the occupation by several centuries.

Conclusion: they must have really existed. :D

I think it's the gold bangle ring thing that is that old? The brooch is medieval?

"The front is decorated with a depiction of a kneeling young woman placing male private parts in a basket. Above it is the signature ribbon "AIBO FRUTI DONE" (the good fruits for women)."

https://www.hampel-auctions.com/archive-catalogue-detail.html?la=en&a=91&s=331&id=508979&g=Keramik#

maximus otter

Back