• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Themes In Art, Craft & Creativity

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
I seem to be finding representations of fortean themes. Having said that I will find no more, of course. We have a thread on films, this is intended to be for more static visual representations.

Item: the large sea beast, usually identified as a Whale, functioning as and being mistaken for an island. This is a modern russian interpretation in embroidery.

1561633400348.png
https://owlforest.ru/en/chudo-yudo-ryba-kit/

I haven't see that before! thank you!

Making a cross link to this thread Monuments Commemorating Fortean Phenomena & Incidents https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...memorating-fortean-phenomena-incidents.63715/

Relevant posts so far on

* Mothman Point Pleasant, West Virginia USA
* UFO Ängelholm, Sweden
* UFO Moonbeam, Ontario, Canada
* Small Alien of the Urals Kyshtym, South Ural, Russia
* UFO Chiayi, Taiwan
* Space Acorn Kecksburg, Pennsylvania USA
* Champ (the Lake Champlain monster) Burlington, Vermont USA
* Nyamiynami Kariba Dam / Lake Kariba (between Zimbabwe and Zambia)
* Memprémagog / Memphremagog Magog, Quebec Canada
* Grace Sherwood / The Witch of Pungo Virginia Beach, Virginia USA
* Ogopogo Okanagan Lake, Okanagan Canada
* Sewer Alligator NYC Subway, New York, USA

I only came to him in middle age. Same with the Impressionists. Took me decades to get the power of not painting like a photo :)

I may be in love! Do you know who designed it? Love those flippers!

lovely stuff @Ladyloafer ! I had no idea about the lego - but Playmobile have, for example a green man/forester figure and a sentient tree.

The ghost in lace is a very nice use of the features of the medium isn't it?

lovely stuff @Ladyloafer ! I had no idea about the lego - but Playmobile have, for example a green man/forester figure and a sentient tree.

The ghost in lace is a very nice use of the features of the medium isn't it?
i like mothman. he's so cute and the flowers really give it something! lol

yeah playmobile have lots of mythological type characters. i've got some kind of playmobile goddess toy in my car as a good luck charms (!) (also a kinda egg toy, as my 'god of parking') .

*checks interwebs* oh my. they've got a whole Greek Gods range!

gods.jpg

good stuff! so there is indeed familiarity with the classical legends.

Goya fans might look up Milos Forman's 2006 picture, Goya's Ghosts, which I viewed tonight.

It takes a lot of liberties, as films do. Goya is essentially the observer of brutal régime-change.

Some concrete bollards apart, it is beautifully-staged and well played. I especially enjoyed the
scene in which a member of the Inquisition has the tables turned and is put to the Question! :)

Last edited:
Turner's Stonehenge, from the Salisbury Museum's site
1563570179263.png

Turner’s well-known watercolour of Stonehenge was the most violent image in his series of Picturesque Views in England and Wales, produced between 1825 and 1838. As a fierce storm moves off across Salisbury Plain, it leaves in its wake a shepherd who has been struck dead by lightning. Such tragedies were reported in the 1820s, but the incident has been interpreted symbolically by commentators like John Ruskin, for whom perceptions of Stonehenge were coloured by its darker, pagan associations. Turner possibly intended some kind of contrast between his representations of shepherds at Stonehenge and Salisbury. In the Salisbury view the shepherd withstands the hostile weather like a protective guardian, his upright figure providing an echo of the cathedral’s spire.

https://salisburymuseum.org.uk/collections/art-collection/stonehenge

Back