• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Times On eBay

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Hi,
I've started to put my FT collection up on EBay. I have nearly a complete run from issue 100 to present, but before that its a bit patchy. (Issues 100+ are currently inaccessible but I will be putting them up as soon as I can get to them). If you're interested, I'm up to doing deals, especially if you want to buy in bulk - just send me a message. I send all items recorded delivery and can combine postage, offering you a refund for the difference in postage prices.

Cheers!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Non-Fiction/171243/i.html?_from=R40&_sofindtype=0&_byseller=1&_nkw=Fortean+Times&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=267&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=PE30+4SQ&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=3&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=paullee31101971&_sop=1&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

PS I put a default price down of £3-4 for most of them as EBay was suggesting ridiculous prices for some of the issues - £10+ in many instances!

PPS Small plug: loads of ghost books still available on Ebay too :)

It was me you were bidding against :)

Maybe we should use this forum to co-ordinate further purchases?

Good idea. Thanks to that last haul, I only need 9 FT's and 2 News, so I'm not going to be bidding on every auction.

@Frideswide
I do, yes. What I do if people express an interest in certain issues is, firstly, pull them from eBay and issue them as a job lot, with the combined postage.
Then I arrange with the buyer for me to put them up at a certain time so he/she can immediately log in and get them before anyone else can.
(I've done this many times!)

Or I could do it outside of eBay :)
I'll just pull the items anyway from eBay/amazon.

I've only scratched the tip of the iceberg. I reckon I have at least 90 more issues to put up that I can immediately put my hands on. I'll try to put up about 10-20 per week. Some were damaged in a house move and are unsellable unfortunately.

Are you sure? I feel bad when people pay over the odds. I always message people to get their PayPal and very few reply.

In "the good old days", eBay used to pay straight to PayPal so there was no problem issuing an immediate refund.
But now it goes into your bank account after a day or so, so you have to work out a way of refunding, and PayPal is the easiest. It's become a nuisance!

eBay used to pay straight to PayPal so there was no problem issuing an immediate refund.
But now it goes into your bank account after a day or so, so you have to work out a way of refunding, and PayPal is the easiest. It's become a nuisance!
Yes, it has!
No, that’s fine. I’m just glad to get them. Over the last years I’ve loaned or given away a lot of my ghost/paranormal books (‘specially during lockdown, lol) So I’m gradually replacing or buying ones I never had (like these).

I was going to post them today but I'd forgotten that it was a bank holiday...
I've put some more issues up: the only downside is that I'd have thought auto-correct would have learned that I mean "Fortean" and not "Gotten"!

I was going to post them today but I'd forgotten that it was a bank holiday...
I've put some more issues up: the only downside is that I'd have thought auto-correct would have learned that I mean "Fortean" and not "Gotten"!
Its not even nowhere near what you wanted to post, next time post Gotten, it may get Fortean from that.

In "the good old days", eBay used to pay straight to PayPal so there was no problem issuing an immediate refund.
I sold on ebay for several years and really enjoyed it - until this year.
ebay has now changed everything, PayPal was wonderful (and the payment system that ebay itself installed), now that they have removed it, I stopped selling.
You're right, those were "the good old days"!

I sold on ebay for several years and really enjoyed it - until this year.
ebay has now changed everything, PayPal was wonderful (and the payment system that ebay itself installed), now that they have removed it, I stopped selling.
You're right, those were "the good old days"!
Hi

Have ebay stopped accepting Paypal? Looking at Paul's listing it has it as an option?

@Fanari_Lloyd
I hope you got the items safely! I had to cannibalise two A4 envelopes, bubble wrap and a ton of sellotape to make the special package for you

I've put some more FT up too, will put the rest up gradually.
Hi

I'm assuming the answer will be no but do you have FT 29? Only one I need for the full set!

Sadly not, I don't have any issues going that far back.
eBay accepts PayPal but doesn't pay out to it which is a nuisance!

Hi

Have ebay stopped accepting Paypal? Looking at Paul's listing it has it as an option?
Ebay only gives payment to the seller via direct deposit into your personal checking account.
The purchaser can still pay by paypal.
But as Paul said, if there is a refund amount, it becomes a problem.
Back in the day, all the transactions were handled by paypal, so much simpler.
I still use my paypal card to purchase online, because I don't have to give out personal info, paypal handles it all.

Sadly most of them have been sold, a sad necessity of financial desperation. They were selling very slowly until a few months ago when someone asked if I would do combined postage, and of course I said yes, thinking that he wanted one or two books. Turned out he wanted well over a dozen (maybe as many as thirty or forty!) and I managed to cram them, well packed with bubble wrap, in a long abandoned Amazon box. I got about £90 for them.
I'm looking at what else I can sell. About four years ago, I had loads of 1970s/80s Star Wars toys and action figures, and other childish bric-a-brac (remember Zoids? Tente? Britain's Space stuff?) and they were quickly snapped up at auction, making over £4000.

Back