• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
We just came back from Krakow yesterday.

Amongst the photos I took was this and I wondered if anyone knew what this on the front a building signified?

View attachment 58542

“The Eye of Providence (or the All-Seeing Eye of God) is a symbol that depicts an eye, often enclosed in a triangle and surrounded by rays of light or glory, meant to represent divine providence, whereby the eye of God watches over humanity.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

maximus otter

PS: How was Krakow? The memsahib and l have often thought of spending a few days there.

m.o.

We just came back from Krakow yesterday.
Amongst the photos I took was this and I wondered if anyone knew what this on the front a building signified? ...

The Eye of Providence is a widely used Masonic symbol. Krakow has (or had ... ) a long history of association with freemasonry.

Thank you, I wondered about the Masonic angle, which confused me a bit as Catholics in the UK were not supposed to join the Masons back when I was a kid.

Maximus Otter - I would personally recommend Krakow. People are friendly, it is a lovely city and the prices are cheap.

We had a meal one night at a restaurant called Cerano Be Begerac, in lovely surroundings of a cellar room with beautiful brickwork. We had 3 courses, two drinks each and I think it came to £46! It was lovely food too.

I would also recommend going to the Salt Mines, it was an excellent trip. There is also a trip to Auchwitz and Berkenhau which obviously down to personal choice.

We came back from Milan a few days ago.

We visited the Duomo and I did want to see the statue of the Flayed Man. For those who are not aware, that isn't a cloak he is holding, it is his skin.

39_ Flayed Man_500.jpg

In one of the great examples of hubris ever recorded, I give you the Swedish warship Vasa.
JQdJnF.jpg

It sailed less than a thousand meters before a gust caught its top sail and it keeled over and sank due to poor design.

350 years later it is one of the best preserved relics of historical life.

The irony of its loss compared to the value off its information makes it wonderfully Fortean.

On a family holiday to Stockholm and spent a very rainy day being entranced by this story.
Superb museum, almost as good as the Titanic Museum, even though they don't have the actual ship in Belfast.

Back