• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Venice

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Uri's Haunted Cities: Venice
SUNDAY 9th JAN, 21:00
Reputed for its romantic atmosphere, Venice has also seen its fair share of misery and destruction. Uri Geller investigates the claim that the city's beauty leads people to their death

Uri's Haunted Cities: Venice

Probably the world's most famous paranormalist, Uri Geller brings his expertise and unique style to Sky One as he takes us on a journey of celebrated haunted places in the Italian city of Venice.

'Uri's Haunted Venice' is a personal exploration of the Venetian city and its wonderful buildings, canals and historical sites….all involving paranormal activity and haunting.

Throughout history, Venice has always been noted as a city of tremendous, yet eerie, beauty. In winter the fog rises from the canals to give an aura of other-worldliness. The city lost 1/3 of its population to the Black Death, and most of the bodies are buried under the water, so it becomes easy to see why people say that Venice is in a perpetual state of "dual reality" - that of the living and of the dead.

The magnificent city provides the backdrop for Uri to travel from one increasingly terrifying haunted house, palace, murder site, plague pit and abbey to the next. Through fantastically scary reconstructions, the atmosphere and horror of each story will be vividly brought to life.

And who better to host the show than internationally renowned supernaturalist Uri Geller - a man whose incredible abilities have amazed and stunned onlookers for over 30 years. Uri's compelling presentation style and enthusiasm will draw viewers closer and closer to the ultimate horror of his final destination. His particular expertise for presenting elements of the paranormal with grace and charisma will mesmerize all those who see it.

Throughout his terrifying journey, Uri will ultimately try to decipher the 'Venice Syndrome' - that the gloomy, haunted and oppressive beauty of the city drives many who visit it to their death….

Source

I'll be watching. I was in Venice during the last Carnival and it was every bit as fantastic as I expected. 8)

While not a fan of the spoon-bender, I'm actually going to watch this programme. It sounds like a paranormal travelogue!

I watched about 5 minutes of it and then decided Uri was going to seriously get on my nerves, so switched off.

Was the prog any good, anyone?

Carole

carole said:
I watched about 5 minutes of it and then decided Uri was going to seriously get on my nerves, so switched off.

Ditto I'm afraid.

Uri Geller's haunted cities.

Good. Lord.

An hour and a half of Uri wandering around Venice attempting to enter a supposedly cursed pallazo. And when he did enter, he runs away after finding a photo of a mummified corpse in the fireplace.

He also ran away after finding a skull on the island where the plague victims were sent to die.

As a guide to Venice it was interesting as were the stories that were told but as for his example of telekinesis.....It was rubbish - the traditional method of not quite showing the whole chair in shot.

Atmospheric camerawork but little substance. For an intrepid psychic/psionic, Geller did a lot of running away!

Much preferred the documentary afterwards on Harry Price.

Stormkhan said:
Atmospheric camerawork but little substance. For an intrepid psychic/psionic, Geller did a lot of running away!

The best thing he could do in my opinion. Run away, far away and never come back.

"And this week, Uri Gellar will be running away from..."
:lol:
To point out that the 'cursed palazzo' is owned by a very good friend of Uri. Perhaps he wanted a cheap deal in exorcism?

Yup, he was a bit of a drama queen wasn't he.

I looked up the death of Kit Whatsit who owned the palazzo and he died at his mother's house, not in Venice as Spoonman almost hinted. Allegedly.

Venice is gorgeous though. All those echoing footsteps and winding alleyways, it's exactly like that, what you get on TV is just like t'real thing! So I enjoyed just seeing the lovely place again, ha'nted or not.

Does anyone remember the Michael Aspel series about the paranormal, which featured Joan Collins being scared out of her wits in a palace in Venice? She seemed genuinely rattled. :lol:

She was worried her shoulder pads would get stuck in the narrow canals!

I remember a story about a Venetian nobleman who dies after a love affair with a female vampire/succubus he met at the bridge of the footpads, most creepy. And who could forget "Don't look now"

Back