• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Zine?

User7597

Hyperspace Cartographer
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Zines are very popular again at the moment, two really good ones I buy are "Hellebore" and "Weird Walk". They mainly cover folklore, history and folk horror type stuff. Do you think there would be any interest in a zine covering more Fortean subjects? Something like the early Fortean Times when it was a bit rough and ready. It wouldn't have to be more than 100 pages. And cheap.

Not sure, is Forteana copyrighted?
Not as far as I know. I know what you're aiming at, the gazette sort of look. What I think you'd have to be careful of is not treading the same path as the FT, given it's got about a forty year headstart.

It's been a while since I've read FT, but much as with this forum, there was a general trend towards scepticism. That's not a criticism; it my personal trend as well. But that's not how many outsiders view forteanism. To many, it's just another bunch of people who believe in UFOs, bigfoot and ghosts. I think my point is, forteanism isn't an easily defined thing, so, @Matt, how would your approach to it differ from FT's that would distinguish it.

Also, I'm quite interested in the zines you brought to my notice in your opening post. Thanks for that.

It's been a while since I've read FT, but much as with this forum, there was a general trend towards scepticism. That's not a criticism; it my personal trend as well. But that's not how many outsiders view forteanism. To many, it's just another bunch of people who believe in UFOs, bigfoot and ghosts. I think my point is, forteanism isn't an easily defined thing, so, @Matt, how would your approach to it differ from FT's that would distinguish it.

Also, I'm quite interested in the zines you brought to my notice in your opening post. Thanks for that.
I love Fortean Times, but it seems to have become like an academic publication. And I think it covers a lot of history and historic cases now. Maybe a zine could cover more modern or personal investigations. I don't know, but I'm open to suggestions.

I love Fortean Times, but it seems to have become like an academic publication. And I think it covers a lot of history and historic cases now. Maybe a zine could cover more modern or personal investigations. I don't know, but I'm open to suggestions.
The four ‘It Happened To Me” mag books were excellent:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortean-Times-Happened-vol-1-MagBook/dp/1906372489

I feel FT has had to adapt to the Internet age as it rarely covers breaking Fortean news anymore due to newspapers, journals and forums being online

Costs are low for zines, so if you can afford it, why not make an issue and see what happens?

Costs are low for zines, so if you can afford it, why not make an issue and see what happens?
I'm not sure I have the talent. I think it would need to be a group effort.

A while ago I did initiate a thread concerning specifically hard copy newsletters about Fortean topics:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/hard-copy-newsletters-with-a-fortean-focus.68169/

Maybe there'll be something in there that could give you some pointers.

I think it's a great idea and I wish the it every success. I think - as you suggested - that one way forward would be to be less historically focused than `Fortean Times` - emphasise the new and the contemporary a lot more.

I don't think you need `talent` to launch a `zine, just organisational ability and, of course, resources.

@Matt Just had a look at Weird Walk and have ordered back copies :) I can't find an option to subscribe though... it's probably a huge flashing button but I can't see it!

https://www.weirdwalk.co.uk/

Maybe start by planning out sections you'd like to see? I'd be interested in

A list of other blogs and zones on the subject
Articles on people's collection of forteana - special books, snake stones, whatever!
A series from someone who does ghost hunts

Back