• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forteana & Weirdness On YouTube

Well, male dogs mixing with wolves often produces pups raised in the wild. This black critter reminds me of a Black Lab. The smaller dog looks like a beagle, if so it's a med dog. When the camera pans left briefly we can see that the camera man is standing on a dirt road, and the dog briefly stands on that road. It's size is about right for a med dog then.
wolfdog.png

Yeah, those are not large trees.

Well, male dogs mixing with wolves often produces pups raised in the wild. This black critter reminds me of a Black Lab. The smaller dog looks like a beagle...

Yep. I was thinking beagle, or beagle mix, too.

The comments that accompany that footage really exemplify the problem many people have with spatial elements - the vast majority appear to simply accept that the 'wolf' is huge, without question or the least analysis of the other visual elements, as do the several 'experts' who look at this elsewhere on the web.

It also illustrates the difficulty in reading poor quality footage - it struck me that if someone was to provide you a still from around 0:36, and say that the larger animal was a huge black wild boar, and you did not have access to the rest of the visual information, then you might be hard put to say otherwise.

And interesting video on UFOs originally broadcast on Australian t.v on the A.B.C show 'This Day Tonight' in 1967. Professor McDonald, the subject of the interview took his own life in 1971.
Running at just over 7 minutes, it's worth watching.

Last edited:
Running at just over 7 minutes, it's worth watching.
What a marvellous little clip, LL. How often are there straightforward interviews like that on the tv these days? But they still couldn't resist ending the programme as they did. They may have thought that lightened the mood, as the professor was super earnest. But it's easy to read that as 'hah it's all rubbish innit and he's a bit mad'. He wasn't actually saying anything mad though was he. He was saying that the nature of the sightings was similar all over the world, and that no scientists were looking into it, although someone definitely should be if that was the case. And that governments were majorly playing it down (though how a massive fine for leaking information from US airbases fits into that... I've not heard of that fine before, I don't know if anyone knows what that would refer to).

Well if he carried on thinking it was of extreme importance but found he was banging his head wherever he went, and felt people were taking the piss... He didn't look as though he had much of a sense of humour to deal with that (he didn't seem the humourous sort did he). Maybe it had a hand in his demise. I see on his wikipedia page it says he became 'professionally isolated' and his wife left him... it's really sad. It mentions some of his colleagues calling him 'a man of great integrity and great courage' and you can see that in the clip I think?

thanks for that

I see one of his lectures mentioned in the Wikipedia page is also on youtube (sound only). "Jerome Clark [called it] "one of the most powerful scientific defenses of UFO reality ever mounted"." So should be interesting listening.

Hmmm... that "fine" he's talking about. It sounds like he's talking about a UCMJ thing? "release information at airbase level"? As retired military this strikes me as significant. This is talking specifically about base commanders making official statements. So, if true, this could be an indication that the military wanted to have public statements made at a higher level than that. Also it may not be specific to UFOs. It sounds like something more general about public disclosure of classified information.

As far as secrecy goes... If there was a confirmed sighting of a Russian jet flying over Seattle, it'd be classified. Maybe there'd be enough people on the ground who made positive IDs for the story to hit the news, maybe not. Most people simply wouldn't see the aircraft itself as out of the ordinary. What reason does the military have to inform the public? People have this annoying habit of trying to tell military leaders how to do their jobs already.

Alien craft would be much the same only worse. Also, there's the doctrine of not releasing incomplete or uncertain information. IE don't make public statements based on guesswork. I think a lot of the secrecy is that the information is not adequately quantifiable to be releasable in many cases. IE, if you don't know what was seen then how do you know what to say about it?

It seems weird, but from a military standpoint their job is to collect information, public awareness is not the job of the military as a whole. He talked about Project Blue Book, but never explained why he felt it was "superficial and incompetent". Blue Book was about assessing whether "UFO"s were a military threat and attempting to identify them. It wasn't about "scientific inquiry".

One thing he says suggests he does have an insider PoV though. From a military intelligence PoV writing up a report saying you saw a UFO is rubbish. Describe what you saw and put that in your report. Let the people who read the report draw their own conclusions about what it was.

He keeps saying "UFO problem" He makes it clear he thinks UFOs are spacecraft from... somewhere. He keeps talking about doing something about it. But overall I'm left wondering what he thinks is a reasonable course of action. Part of his disdain for government reactions is that this view is seemingly NOT shared by the majority of world governments or government officials. But what does he think they need to do?

Ah, thank you for the info about the fines and statements, that's interesting.
Blue Book was about assessing whether "UFO"s were a military threat and attempting to identify them. It wasn't about "scientific inquiry".
Good point. Though I'm guessing from a scientific point of view that's just leaving things half done :) Pragmatic but not completist enough! I will have to listen to the long lecture.

In this audio recording (illustrated with dozens of images), Larry Niven gives a delightful talk on the effects of teleportation on a society. Five years before his"Flash Crowd" was published, this recording is a grand exposition of what goes on in this author's mind as he works out the impact of new technology. "The limitations you assume for your teleportation are going to define your society." Isaac Asimov (and a number of other audience members) challenge Larry with questions and suggestions. There's even a chalkboard talk (which you can follow from the audio). The program provides a very entertaining and complete logical framework for thinking about the problems and advantages of different implementations of mechanical teleportation, with the eager participation of the engineers in the audience.

I remember reading 'Flash Crowd' when I was a teenager. It was in his collection 'Inconstant Moon' - a great collection of short stories.

Reactions: Ger
I liked that episode more than most. I like 'it happened to me' stories the best! I thought they were three really interesting experiences. I'd like to think they were true. Though they were almost super classic ghost / ufo / poltergeist tales?
Well Rich has mentioned that his personal experiences are why he got into the field.

The words 'Fortean weirdness' could have been invented for the good people of Heaven's Gate as they are richly deserving to be the poster children of such an accolade:

The slightly disturbing this about all of this is that their website is still up and running (see below):

The Heaven's Gate Website

Run & maintained by one who was left behind to take care of such things (lucky them)!

IDK if anyone has seen the efforts of Ryan whose channel Nexpo on YouTube is often quite eye-opening about online weirdness. It is probably worth a look if you like chasing potential serial killers, and general online spookiness.

IDK if anyone has seen the efforts of Ryan whose channel Nexpo on YouTube is often quite eye-opening about online weirdness. It is probably worth a look if you like chasing potential serial killers, and general online spookiness.
Hmm saw one of his vids a while ago. the topic was a bit pointless, but enh the vid was fine. (one of the cruddiest games ever had a particularly strange choice of material for the clipart.)

Hmm saw one of his vids a while ago. the topic was a bit pointless, but enh the vid was fine. (one of the cruddiest games ever had a particularly strange choice of material for the clipart.)
Yeah, I think I watched that one. Look, most of the stuff he follows up on is just odd, and only mildly threatening, but always a bit creepy. I admit that occasionally I worry that Ryan will get himself in serious trouble one of these days, but so far so good.

I own the London Underground one on DVD - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-Underground-Paul-McGann/dp/B00G361MH0 - no I didn't pay £260 for it - I'm guessing out of production, but watch for it turning up second hand.
I also have https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haunted-Lo...round+Paperback&qid=1598098770&s=books&sr=1-1
which in many ways is a bit of a ripoff as it reads as though someone watched the program and then wrote up an essay on it for school - it does hower have some nice photographs and is well laid out - makes a reasonable companion piece for the documentary, but wouldn't recomend it on it's own.
Would love to see any outakes or extra footage that didn't make the final cut.

Ancient but interesting - UFO Exclusive -1978

From the uploader: Very, very obscure UFO documentary movie released in 1978. The 70s seemed to be a prime decade for this genre. It made the rounds on TV in the mid- to late 80s, where copies were then recorded on VCR. Unlike other similar movies from the era, this one never seems to have been available on home video or DVD, nor posted anywhere on the internet (until now). Enjoy!

Featuring: UFO still and motion pictures Speculation on possible different life-forms on other planets
Rare NASA/Space Program animation
Simulated manned mission to Mars
Simulated Space Shuttle flight (years before the first shuttles were launched)

Grab your Kodak Instamatic and let's go legend tripping back to 1978 to watch:

Manbeast! Myth or Monster (1978)
This documentary, produced by Alan Landsburg, investigates the possible existence of Bigfoot, Yowie, Feral People, the Yeti and other animal-humanoid-type creatures.

Ancient but interesting - UFO Exclusive -1978

From the uploader: Very, very obscure UFO documentary movie released in 1978. The 70s seemed to be a prime decade for this genre. It made the rounds on TV in the mid- to late 80s, where copies were then recorded on VCR. Unlike other similar movies from the era, this one never seems to have been available on home video or DVD, nor posted anywhere on the internet (until now). Enjoy!

Featuring: UFO still and motion pictures Speculation on possible different life-forms on other planets
Rare NASA/Space Program animation
Simulated manned mission to Mars
Simulated Space Shuttle flight (years before the first shuttles were launched)

That's an odd one. One thought is that it's more fluff than substance. But it has several bits that have some actual substance to them. However all the pictures in it are multiply degraded in quality. IE, what started as a grainy photo is now more so because it's got grainy old VHS artifacting added to the graininess of the photo. But also the choices mostly are things I'd seen before. There is one though.... Time stamp 37:28 that's interesting since it's not a classic saucer style at all. I'm not sure if I've seen it before.

That's an odd one. One thought is that it's more fluff than substance. But it has several bits that have some actual substance to them. However all the pictures in it are multiply degraded in quality. IE, what started as a grainy photo is now more so because it's got grainy old VHS artifacting added to the graininess of the photo. But also the choices mostly are things I'd seen before. There is one though.... Time stamp 37:28 that's interesting since it's not a classic saucer style at all. I'm not sure if I've seen it before.

It almost looks like an Apollo lunar module doesn't it?

Yeah. the point of that video was whether the site had been hijacked by a cult and used as a sort of "virtual initiation" platform. I actually found that sort of fascinating. I mean, the game was utterly dead in the water, and yet it was still being used, possibly by some weird hacker outfit. It was like a piece of dark web hiding on the normal web. Also the symbology used in the clip art was pretty odd, and the doxxing involved in the site was creepy.

Yeah. the point of that video was whether the site had been hijacked by a cult and used as a sort of "virtual initiation" platform. I actually found that sort of fascinating. I mean, the game was utterly dead in the water, and yet it was still being used, possibly by some weird hacker outfit. It was like a piece of dark web hiding on the normal web. Also the symbology used in the clip art was pretty odd, and the doxxing involved in the site was creepy.
I was thinking of a different one. Some game whose creator apparently threw it together as an experiment in coding or something. The graphics were clip art he found on the internet, and the main mystery is of a specific graphic of a dead guy. It turns out it was an actual photograph of a real murder victim that was a frame off of a CCTV camera or something. Which is notable because of how it gets used for every dead enemy after they die.

I've been watching the original 'Unsolved Mysteries' series, having rather enjoyed the Netflix reboot. This episode is a treat as it has Tony Cornell investigating on the Queen Mary - being open minded yet sensible about the repeated accounts of hauntings.

Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny & Girly (AKA: Girly) [1970]:

A wealthy, fatherless British clan kidnaps bums and hippies and forces them to participate in an elaborate role-playing game in which they are the perfect family; those who refuse or attempt escape are ritualistically murdered.

Mumsy (Ursula Howells), Nanny (Pat Heywood) and overgrown "children" Sonny (Howard Trevor) and Girly (Vanessa Howard) are a happy family living in a sprawling, decaying mansion (Hammer Films' famous Oakley Court). Sonny and Girly bring friends home to play but if they don't obey the rules, they are tried and "sent to the angels" but they are just as likely to end up as target practice for Sonny playing cowboys and Indians or as one of Girly's broken toys. The arrival of New Friend (Michael Bryant) - a gigolo on the run after his girlfriend (Imogen Hassall) is accidentally killed while playing with Sonny and Girly - upsets the household with his own very brand of adult games playing the quartet off against each other (particularly the females) but Girly doesn't like to share her friends; not even with Mumsy and Nanny. Directed by Freddie Francis (whose directorial career started with several Hammer Films entries in the sixties and continued to overlap with his achievements as an Academy Award-winning cinematographer with such projects as GLORY, THE STRAIGHT STORY, DUNE, and others), GIRLY is consistently playful and unpredictable. Adapted from a play by Maisie Mosco, screenwriter Brian Comport and Francis keep the grislier aspects offscreen but more than make up for it with excellent performances (particularly Vanessa Howard as Girly who unfortunately left acting shortly after this film and WHATEVER BECAME OF JACK AND JILL? vanished from the screen with little acknowledgment) and some interesting touches (like a comic/horrific moment that anticipates a famous shot in THE SHINING and the childrens' murderous enactments of various nursery rhymes). Michael Ripper also makes a brief appearance.

Source:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews49/girly.htm

Last edited:
Back