• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forteana & Weirdness On YouTube

Fortean polka about the mystery spot:

Over the past few years, I periodically watch a Soft White Underbelly youtube video. They are interviews by Mark Laita with real people in the US. Usually down and out, or previously down and out. It is an astonishing array of stories. Most of these I suspect are the stories which the middle-class never have heard, never experienced, probably don't want to believe, don't want to think about. But Dickens would approve.

I hope my fellow Forteans in UK can access them.

PS - skip reading the comments posted below most of the videos. Lots of judgemental voyeurs out there.

I'm binge watching YouTube Ghost programmes. Currently on Ghosts on the Underground, having watched a lot of Ghosts of London episodes.

Am struck by how many ghostly stories involve nothing but 'unearthly screams' and wonder how many of the witnesses have ever heard a vixen scream... Given how many urban foxes there are, and how many stories seem retrofitted to account for screaming, I suspect that an awful lot of these are just down to fox noises.

I'm binge watching YouTube Ghost programmes. Currently on Ghosts on the Underground, having watched a lot of Ghosts of London episodes.

Am struck by how many ghostly stories involve nothing but 'unearthly screams' and wonder how many of the witnesses have ever heard a vixen scream... Given how many urban foxes there are, and how many stories seem retrofitted to account for screaming, I suspect that an awful lot of these are just down to fox noises.
Plausible! I remember many years ago I heard cats mating. I was shocked and flabbergasted, because I had never heard that before. And foxes are worse than cats.

An interesting collection of oddness, with an annoying narrator:

I recently came across this for another board and thought it would be of interest - the first sound film... from 1894 or 95!

This short film was a test for Edison's "Kinetophone" project, the first attempt in history to record sound and moving image in synchronization. This was an experiment by William Dickson to put sound and film together either in 1894 or 1895. Unfortunately, this experiment failed because they didn't understand synchronization of sound and film. The large cone on the left hand side of the frame is the "microphone" for the wax cylinder recorder (off-camera). The Library of Congress had the film. The wax cylinder soundtrack, however, was believed lost for many years. Tantalizingly, a broken cylinder labeled "Violin by WKL Dickson with Kineto" was catalogued in the 1964 inventory at the Edison National Historic Site. In 1998, Patrick Loughney, curator of Film and Television at the Library of Congress, retrieved the cylinder and had it repaired and re-recorded at the Rodgers and Hammerstein Archive of Recorded Sound, Lincoln Center, New York. Since the Library did not possess the necessary synchronizing technology, Loughney - at the suggestion of producer Rick Schmidlin - sent multi-Oscar winner Walter Murch a videotape of the 17 seconds of film and an audiocassette of 3 minutes and 20 seconds of sound with a request to marry the two. By digitizing the media and using digital editing software, Murch was able to synchronize them and complete the failed experiment 105 years later. This 35mm film was generously made available to the Internet Archive by Walter Murch and Sean Cullen.

Filmmaker Victoria Byers has been working on a provocative religious-themed rock opera opus called Holy Whores & Heretics The Secret Life of Mary Magdalene. Bit are on YouTube but I don't know if it has been finished or not:
Teaser for the 4-part feature film: "Holy Whores & Heretics The Secret Life of Mary Magdalene" ACT 1 takes you to the Babylonian Temple of Ishtar, where we meet High Priestess Mary Magdalene. Jesus is initiated into the Gates of the Underworld based on the Epic of Gilgamesh.
In this Act 2 preview, Jesus' entourage travels to Mary Magdalene's family vineyard in Bethany where Mary, Martha, Lazarus and Salome confront various family dynamics.
In episode 3 Jesus performs miracles and journeys to Jerusalem with his followers.
The final installment of Holy Whores and Heretics preview takes us deep inside the King Herod's castle as an escape plot is hatched.

Cauliflower Mystery.
Jack Black and his dog Silver used to have a regular strip in the Newcastle origin adult comic book VIZ .. he evolved into a nasty little right wing shit still based in the 1950's, the running jokes included him always staying at his Aunt Meg's place .. called shit like 'her thatched fisherman's windmill in Lovely on The Woldshire' and so on .. he was always grassing everyone up to police with his loyal dog Silver by his side.

The most magnificent 'wrong' episode ever saw Jack and Silver solving the mystery of how one man's son won the village egg and spoon race every year. His Dad had been stealing people's radios so he could use the magnets inside to make fake eggs ensuring that his son's egg would never fall off the spoon. But wait!. That wasn't why he came to be disqualified. That was because Jack found an old newspaper photo of the Dad's wife having sex with the headmaster doggystyle when the picture was zoomed in and, under strict egg and spoon school race rules? ... that could only mean that the headmaster was the kid's real father so the father was technically cheating by including who he though was his son in a father and son egg and spoon race! (I don't write this stuff). The dad was put in stocks and the eggs were thrown at him by the other parents until he wept with Jack throwing the final heavy metal magnet egg at the dad's head with the local police man and everyone else laughing. That was a genuine Jack Black and his dog Silver strip.

Last edited:
I'm back at my 'go to' for making me giggle - our very own Stu Neville on Edinburgh Fortean Society on YouTube, talking about Fifty years of Fortean TV, simply because, even on my most miserable days, hearing Stu talking about the late, slightly-great Derek Acorah, just makes me laugh hysterically.

'Man called John, with more than one eye and a nose, who wore a hat...'

Thanks, Stu. Even on wretched days, everything looks up when I watch this.

They have recomposed a contemporary version of Vivaldis Four Seasons. It's very good but also a bit spooky, like a ghost of the original piece. Nice! How come I never heard of this:

Reactions to TikTok achaeology theories :cool:
The one about half-buried houses is hilarious.

Jack Black and his dog Silver used to have a regular strip in the Newcastle origin adult comic book VIZ .. he evolved into a nasty little right wing shit still based in the 1950's, the running jokes included him always staying at his Aunt Meg's place .. called shit like 'her thatched fisherman's windmill in Lovely on The Woldshire' and so on .. he was always grassing everyone up to police with his loyal dog Silver by his side.

The most magnificent 'wrong' episode ever saw Jack and Silver solving the mystery of how one man's son won the village egg and spoon race every year. His Dad had been stealing people's radios so he could use the magnets inside to make fake eggs ensuring that his son's egg would never fall off the spoon. But wait!. That wasn't why he came to be disqualified. That was because Jack found an old newspaper photo of the Dad's wife having sex with the headmaster doggystyle when the picture was zoomed in and, under strict egg and spoon school race rules? ... that could only mean that the headmaster was the kid's real father so the father was technically cheating by including who he though was his son in a father and son egg and spoon race! (I don't write this stuff). The dad was put in stocks and the eggs were thrown at him by the other parents until he wept with Jack throwing the final heavy metal magnet egg at the dad's head with the local police man and everyone else laughing. That was a genuine Jack Black and his dog Silver strip.
I loved the one were they are at a village fete and they try a slice of an old woman's chocolate cake. Jack becomes suspicious and takes the cake to be analysed by laboratories. They find that the cake does not contain enough coco to be classed as chocolate cake under UK food laws and must be called 'chocolate flavoured' . They have the old woman arrested for cheating at cake making.

Interesting, can I take it that the press cuttings etc shown are genuine?
Nope 100% made up. The whole series is an art project in the hauntology mode, recreating the look and feel on a 1970s show. None of the creatures covered in it are real cryptids.

Great War of the Worlds animation by kevinmccullen1
H G Wells’ “The War of the Worlds” was first published in 1897. In 1906 the French translation was published with illustrations by a Brazilian artist, Henrique Alvim Corrêa. Wells was impressed with these illustrations and wrote: “He did more for my work with his brush than I with my pen”. I have started making an animated film based upon Wells’ novel and drawing heavily upon Correa’s images. I have used old photographs of Woking and other Surrey locations described in the book, used photographs I took around Horsell and I have made 3D models using Correa’s visualisation of the Martians and their tripods. Some of the scenes are copied from the illustrations.

Last edited:
Back