• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fort's Family Tree

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We have had one of his relatives stop in:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7340

but I don't think this has come up before so....

Mr X has researched Charles Fort's family tree and added it to Ancestry.com's database here:

http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1051694&id=I51164937

you can download the information as a GEDCOM file (I might have a little play importing into the family tree software I have).

I'm not sure if it is of any use to antone but it may be of interest ;)

[edit: The file imports fine - I've made a few tweaks as not all the info (dates of birth, etc.) seems to have gone through. Interesting series of marriages to the Van Vranken family]

Emps

Re: From the patron saint of brewing to one who made home br

Resologist said:
I plan to revise my present family tree for Charles Hoy Fort, at Ancestry.com, in the next few weeks, but, in the meantime, I thought that I’d share this curious part of his ancestry.

Much appreciated and very interesting!!!

I suppose if we could trace our family trees back a lot of us would find ourselves related to the Merovingians but the problem is tracing one's family tree that far back and that is an awfully impressive effort!!!

I wonder if he or his family ever realised their lineage- that they were descendents of Charlemagne and so on. I'm guessing that they might not have but imagine that, having ancestors of that pedigree.

I'm impressed, a lot of the time you run into an impenetrable wall around about the 15th century.

If the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail', story is true then just think who else Charles Hoy Fort would have as an ancestor. ;)

Timble said:
If the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail', story is true then just think who else Charles Hoy Fort would have as an ancestor. ;)

*The clouds part and a ray of light shines down to illuminate Niles at his desk. There is the sound of a choir which only ends when Niles stands up to close the curtains.*

Which means that I'm going to have to take the Children of Fort to the next level...

Think about it. If Fort is desended from the Merovingian kings (and through them to the "Grail" bloodline)... he's of divine blood and his Fortean philosophy and his works become holy writ. Forteanism is a genuine religion and we are all his children... and I his profit... I mean prophet.

Who is with me?

Mr. X: Nice stuff. How solid is this section?:

Siegbert “The Lame,” who is said by some to have had a son,
Cloderic of Cologne, who had a son,
Munderic, Lord of Vitry-en-Parthois, who had a son,
Gondolfus, Bishop of Tongres, who had a son,
Bodegisel II, who is said by some to have had a son,
St. Arnulf of Metz, the patron saint of brewing, (whose lineage since Siegbert is questionable), who had a son,

I assume when you get back to this point there i a lot of academic as well as "alternative" speculation of the linkages?

Very interesting stuff on this thread - v thought provoking.

Dawkins has often written about how you need go back a suprisingly short number of generations before you find the most recent common ancestor of yourself and pretty much anyone else you choose to mention from the same part of the world, probably no more than a few hundred years.

Most likely, everyone reading this thread will have a director ancestor that appears on Resologist's brilliantly uncovered list for Fort.

When I researched my family tree for a school project in 1989 (well, I say "I researched" - in fact I merely nicked what another relative had done years before), I found we could get back to the early 1600s on the paternal side, but we then encoutered the impenetrable wall Timble speaks of.

But if we all had access to a universal genealogical tree, we'd surely see that by the time you go back 50 generations, pretty much everyone is a cousin of everyone else. Then you have to factor in the consistent rate of false paternity, which I believe is about 4% these days (can anyone correct me here?) and was probably rather higher back then.

And I love some of the curiosities the concept of a complete family tree of all life on earth going back 4 billion years throws up. You'd have to come up with some arbitrary boundaries at which speciation occurs, meaning you will necessarily have a point at which your great (x50,000) grandmother of one genus (say, australopthicene) gives birth to your great grandmother (x49,999) of another (say, homo).

The further back you go the smaller the genepool you have to examine to find links. Even in 1066 the population of England was just 1,100,000 compared to now its 49,138,831.

Back