Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

henry

still speeding
searching a selected forum doesnt seem to work, get board-level results (searching for anvil in fortean culture) ?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
searching a selected forum doesnt seem to work, get board-level results (searching for anvil in fortean culture) ?
Where (in / on the forums) were you when you initiated the search, and did you select 'This Forum'?

I went to Fortean Culture and did some searching under the selection 'This Forum' (including searching on 'anvil'), and it worked as expected.

henry

still speeding
from whats new selected search icon / advanced / threads / entered keyword and highlighted sub-forum

EnolaGaia

Staff member
I can't replicate the problem. When I follow the navigation path you specified and select 'Fortean Culture' as the target forum I get 6 hits on 'anvil' - all within Fortean Culture.

Do you still get results from across the entire forum when you repeat this action?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Are you using the latest version of Flash Player? I wouldn't think the built-in Search would be relying on Flash for user interactions, but the problem has to be something in the set of software involved in your transactions rather than the Search itself.

Another long shot theoretical possibility is that the Search requires some sort of JavaScript transaction to specify the search parameters, and you've got JavaScript disabled. Still, I'm not understanding why JavaScript should or would be involved in setting up a database search.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Just a heads up: I tried to access the board from mainland China a few times using mobile data public Wifi and hotel WiFi etc. In about 50% of cases I couldn't access the board because my IP address was banned.

Presumably this is blanket geographical IP banning and presumably anti-spam, but I'm worried it may discourage posters from that part of the world, of which we have a few.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just a heads up: I tried to access the board from mainland China a few times using mobile data public Wifi and hotel WiFi etc. In about 50% of cases I couldn't access the board because my IP address was banned.

Presumably this is blanket geographical IP banning and presumably anti-spam, but I'm worried it may discourage posters from that part of the world, of which we have a few.
Curious.

It could be a default that came with the setup, but we haven't explicitly banned any Chinese IP ranges to my knowledge.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
(1) Did you get a message specifically stating you were denied access to the forum? Or ... ?

(2) When did these non-access incidents occur? I need to have a timeframe to target in checking whether any IP addresses you used were identical with banned / spammer accounts.

Bans are issued on specific IP addresses or sets of specific IP addresses associated with a (e.g.) spammer. I'm not aware that we have any ability to ban a range of IP addresses.

On the other hand ... Our security transactions are managed by an outboard resource (CloudFlare). I don't know whether CloudFlare imposes any blanket or range-wide blocks based on our ban actions.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Bans are issued on specific IP addresses or sets of specific IP addresses associated with a (e.g.) spammer. I'm not aware that we have any ability to ban a range of IP addresses.
We had the ability to ban ranges on the old board, but I haven't checked whether it exists on this new version.

On the other hand ... Our security transactions are managed by an outboard resource (CloudFlare). I don't know whether CloudFlare imposes any blanket or range-wide blocks based on our ban actions.
I did wonder about this.

A least some other members from mainland China use proxy servers to evade odious government censorship and tracking.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
James_H:

You've been recorded as logging in from a variety of IP addresses over the last month. None of the ones you've used in the last month have matched banned accounts.

I suspect whatever blockage you're encountering isn't here at the forum end.

James_H

The error message was 'oops! We ran into a problem. Your IP address has been banned.'

It came up when trying to access the site using mobile network data (can't remember the carrier, sorry), and a couple of hotels.

There was no such issue with another hotel WiFi, a cafe and free airport WiFi in Kunming.

James_H

We had the ability to ban ranges on the old board, but I haven't checked whether it exists on this new version.

I did wonder about this.

A least some other members from mainland China use proxy servers to evade odious government censorship and tracking.
Common practice in China but I visit infrequently enough that I've never bothered to install a VPN.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Were you supposed to be getting any notifications? If so - for what did you have notifications activated?
Notifications for all my watched threads.

I haven't received any since for over 24 hours but the threads have been updated. The last time this happened the board had run out of credit or something?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
... I haven't received any since for over 24 hours but the threads have been updated. The last time this happened the board had run out of credit or something?
There's been a wave of outgoing email failures over the last 24 hours or so. All seem to involve authentication failures in transmitting / transferring the email messages. Our lead tech admin has been notified.

Previous outgoing email failures were caused by excessive outgoing email volume for our (originally) no-cost email service tier. That was fixed by contracting for an economy-level email service tier. If we've now overflowed that higher service allotment (50,000?) it's a matter of service load, service capacity, and hence money.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
The last incriminating bit of evidence has now been obtained (Thanks, Carlos ... ), and we know what caused the outgoing notifications to get shut off ...

Lordmongrove did it ...

His posting of a story linked to hindustantimes.com triggered the release of notifications, after which the security checkers at our outboard email service flagged the reference to a known spam / mischief point of origin as a potential problem and cut off our service as a precaution.

Our tech lead is in negotiations with our email service provider to see what can be done to resume notifications.

This is shaping up to entail additional security measures (e.g., CAPTCHA) on our email traffic, and it may take some time to get everything settled.

henry

still speeding
quick question re ignore, may have asked before, can it be applied to a thread (not unfollow)

EnolaGaia

Staff member