Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I wonder if the board was offline for a minute or two between your having opened the page and clicked LIKE.
My guess is that it concerned interactions among the various services involved. I notice there have been a number of recent server errors resulting from 'too many connections'.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
I may be missing something obvious, but when browsing the forums on an Android phone (using either Chrome or Opera) I can't see a link to log out.

There's a dropdown menu at the top left with numerous options, but log out isn't among them.

On the desktop site, if I click on my avatar on the top menu bar it generates a new dropdown menu with a log out option. But on my phone, clicking on my avatar only redirects me to my Account Details page.

It's not a massive deal as I can effectively log out by delving into my browser settings and deleting all cookies. It's just a tad odd as I've never noticed this issue on any other forums.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I may be missing something obvious, but when browsing the forums on an Android phone (using either Chrome or Opera) I can't see a link to log out.

There's a dropdown menu at the top left with numerous options, but log out isn't among them.

On the desktop site, if I click on my avatar on the top menu bar it generates a new dropdown menu with a log out option. But on my phone, clicking on my avatar only redirects me to my Account Details page.

It's not a massive deal as I can effectively log out by delving into my browser settings and deleting all cookies. It's just a tad odd as I've never noticed this issue on any other forums.
I’ve just had a look on an iPad and I seem to have the desktop version which allows me to log out through th avatar drop down menu. I’ll see if I can replicate your problem on any other device.
Thanks

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land

It's possible to log out by removing the tab with forteana.org. Just open the tab from the trash can and you will be logged in again. Just be sure the cookies aren't removed.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Click on your avatar box in the uppermost toolbar (ignore sidebar).

The bottom-left option is 'Log Out'.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
But on my phone, clicking on my avatar only redirects me to my Account Details page.
Just tried it on my Android (Marshmallow) phone with Chrome. Logout option available. (Android tablet running 5.0.2 displays desktop site even if not selected, logout option also visible)

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
People seem to be seeing a different menu to me. When I click my top left Avatar it just takes me to my Account Details page.The actual menu looks like this: tmp-cam-7878422969051727404.jpg

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
People seem to be seeing a different menu to me. When I click my top left Avatar it just takes me to my Account Details page.The actual menu looks like this: View attachment 16011
To clarify - does your screen look like this? There's a triple-bar menu icon top left (which delivers the menu you see) and the avatar icon (which delivers the menu I screenshot above). They should be separate.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
It looks exactly like that except I don't have the little mini avatar to the left of the little envelope icon:
tmp-cam-5512154739685942391.jpg

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Yeah, if I clear the browser cache completely then obviously that logs me out as I no longer have the board's cookies. Logging in again, things look exactly the same.

If it only happened in Opera I wouldn't be surprised as Opera can occasionally get glitchy, but the Forum displays exactly the same in Chrome. I'm running Android 8.0 on a Samsung Galaxy.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Yeah, if I clear the browser cache completely then obviously that logs me out as I no longer have the board's cookies. Logging in again, things look exactly the same.

If it only happened in Opera I wouldn't be surprised as Opera can occasionally get glitchy, but the Forum displays exactly the same in Chrome. I'm running Android 8.0 on a Samsung Galaxy.
Ok, send the phone to me and I'll try to get it to work. ;)
Next suggestion : Another browser? Brave or Firefox?

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Well I tried Firefox briefly and that made no difference. Never mind. As I say, I can log out by clearing out my cookies, so I'll just carry on doing that. Maybe when my phone updates to Android 9 things will sort themselves out.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
I'm sure I've seen this before but I thought it was fixed, so hopefully it's ok to report it again:

1560608085225.png

The 'Later today' text showing on all alerts when I clicked the Alerts button (I've only shown one as an example).

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm sure I've seen this before but I thought it was fixed, so hopefully it's ok to report it again ...
The 'Later today' text showing on all alerts when I clicked the Alerts button (I've only shown one as an example).
I'm unable to replicate the time stamp mismatch. This suggests the weirdness could be derived from something out of synch with whatever app you're using to see these alerts.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
I'm sure I've seen this before but I thought it was fixed, so hopefully it's ok to report it again:

View attachment 18072

Of all the ways to reveal my time travelling shenanigans.....

WanderingFox

Junior Acolyte
Happens to me, too. Using Firefox on PC, and apparently able to see up to 24 hours ahead... o_O

Doesn't do me much good, mind. Still can't time the dog walks to avoid the rain. :p

For reference, I've set my browser to reopen the last session on loading, so it may have something to do with the cache.

notesfromthefuture.jpg

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Happens to me, too. Using Firefox on PC, and apparently able to see up to 24 hours ahead... o_O

Doesn't do me much good, mind. Still can't time the dog walks to avoid the rain. :p

For reference, I've set my browser to reopen the last session on loading, so it may have something to do with the cache.

Aha, this could explain it for me too. I noticed it again today, and it was when I'd opened my browser and there was still a tab with this forum open from last time. The times were showing as 'later today' until I refreshed the page.

WanderingFox

Junior Acolyte
Aha, this could explain it for me too. I noticed it again today, and it was when I'd opened my browser and there was still a tab with this forum open from last time. The times were showing as 'later today' until I refreshed the page.
Corroboration! Also of note - the TrekBBS, another forum I'm a member of, uses the same Xenforo software, and when I first open it any attempts at checking notifications produce error messages. Refreshing the page solves it, same as it solves the timeslip oddness here. Seems Xenforo and browser caches don't entirely see eye to eye...

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
Minor panic here when Cloudflare got hit...I thought something awful had happened to the forum. Turns out probably just China being sweet and kind. Sorry, I mean epic arseholes.