Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Rerenny

Justified & Ancient
The speed that these things get fixed boggles my mind. Their heart rates must go through the roof.

Carlos...one of the sites that went down was, ironically, downdetector. I was briefly in an infinite loop of downed websites!

INT21

Antediluvian
When I checked my Email tonight I had three pages of notifications from here. Going back to the 13 th.

But I know that all the old notifications were cleared out when I checked the Email yesterday. I do this every time I log onto the web.

This has happened on a few occasions.

Any ideas ?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
When I checked my Email tonight I had three pages of notifications from here. Going back to the 13 th.

But I know that all the old notifications were cleared out when I checked the Email yesterday. I do this every time I log onto the web.

This has happened on a few occasions.

Any ideas ?
None whatsoever, I'm afraid.

My general view is that notifications have always been unreliable on every incarnation of the board we've had them and it's better to simply roll up whenever you have time and check your alerts for quotes of your posts.

some kind of glitch in xenforo-software? apart from this one, I had the same glitch happening to me before on two other forum-sites: I always manage my personal settings into NOT getting any e-mail notifications, but every now and then I still get notified of some event happening, like a reply or quote or like.. when I uploaded a new avatar recently, it seems to have stopped sending me e-mails, probably just because I 'saved' my settings one more time.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
OK, I give up, I've tried everything but cannot get this thread:
Problem thread.

...to be marked as "read". It's not a major problem, I can ignore it, but it is a nuisance to see a new post marked in that forum when there isn't one. So what can I do? And yes, I have deleted cookies, three times now.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Problem thread.

...to be marked as "read". It's not a major problem, I can ignore it, but it is a nuisance to see a new post marked in that forum when there isn't one. So what can I do? And yes, I have deleted cookies, three times now.
I've merged it into the Mass Hysteria thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/mass-hysteria.6250/

That was where it was going to go after a fortnight longer anyway.

Hope that new thread doesn't now become 'unreadable' for you.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Sorry, it's still doing it! The thread is called The mystery of the screaming schoolgirls, and it just won't shift!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Problem thread.

I had the same problem with that same thread (The mystery of the screaming schoolgirls).
It went after I used the 'Mark forums read' control.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Clicking a 'like' just now I was redirected to a page asking me to confirm. Wassat about then?
A weird glitch.

We've had about half a dozen reports of it since we changed over to this version.

We can't stop it as we can figure out a cause or even a pattern that would point towards a possible cause.

So far, it seems random.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
The only thing i get is sometimes i have to click 'like' twice, but not all the time. Never had the redirect tho, and Hey, it's FT, wouldn't be the same if nothing weird happened

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Substantial access glitch yesterday late evening (Saturday 21 Sep 2019 @ 2206hrs UK time). Not sure how long it lasted for (I fell asleep into a deep slumber). These two effects were not necessarily related.

Screenshot_2019-09-21-22-06-20.png

All returned to normal (including me being very awake, unfortunately) certain by now (which is the back of 2am, dark o'clock :-( )

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Substantial access glitch yesterday late evening (Saturday 21 Sep 2019 @ 2206hrs UK time). Not sure how long it lasted for (I fell asleep into a deep slumber). These two effects were not necessarily related.
All returned to normal (including me being very awake, unfortunately) certain by now (which is the back of 2am, dark o'clock :-( )
I've no idea what that was about ... No server-side errors have been logged for that time period.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
A weird glitch.

We've had about half a dozen reports of it since we changed over to this version.

We can't stop it as we can figure out a cause or even a pattern that would point towards a possible cause.

So far, it seems random.
Have you read Jurassic Park? The actual 1980 novel by Michael Crichton. There's a highly entertaining chapter all about the Park's general problems and computer glitches.
This sentence,
We can't stop it as we can (sic) figure out a cause or even a pattern that would point towards a possible cause.
sounds just like something the Park's engineers would say.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Have you read Jurassic Park? The actual 1980 novel by Michael Crichton. There's a highly entertaining chapter all about the Park's general problems and computer glitches.
This sentence,
We can't stop it as we can (sic) figure out a cause or even a pattern that would point towards a possible cause.
I have.

Perhaps the phrase bubbled up unbidden!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

View attachment 20190

I had the same problems.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I have.

In the book we don't hear from the engineers/programmers directly, it's just a long passage about the glitches. One of my favourite bits, especially when I listen at night to the audiobook.

Crichton's big theme was always the misunderstanding and misuse of technology; how science advances beyond the ethics of its application and whether profit is a good enough justification for research, and so on.

John Hammond's explicit intention in building Jurassic Park was to entertain rich people. Look where that got him.

Eaten alive by a swarm of miniature dinosaurs.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
This sentence,
So you're saying if the FortBoard goes down, highly anomalous dinosaurs start eating people?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I have.

In the book we don't hear from the engineers/programmers directly, it's just a long passage about the glitches. One of my favourite bits, especially when I listen at night to the audiobook.

Crichton's big theme was always the misunderstanding and misuse of technology; how science advances beyond the ethics of its application and whether profit is a good enough justification for research, and so on.

John Hammond's explicit intention in building Jurassic Park was to entertain rich people. Look where that got him.

Eaten alive by a swarm of miniature dinosaurs.
Isn't there a slightly convoluted process about how they have to restart the entire system to remove Nedry's commands, but when Arnold does so it starts using the emergency power instead of the main generator--and the main generator does not power the electric fences around the enclosures?

As you say about Hammond's fate, isn't it a bit of a morality play (like serial killers preying on slutty cheerleaders and rich jocks)? The Hammond death is especially mordant as the compys had been introduced into the park primarily to consume dung--that doesn't take too much decoding!

Nedry gets dissolved courtsey of the dilaphosaurus (I think) and Gennaro, the lawyer, is only able to redeem himself by self sacrifice.

Last edited: