Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Nope, the password is stored so I don't need to put it in. I'm being asked for a 6-digit code which the site sends by email.

It's 2-step security. I didn't ask for it.
Two-step verification was enabled on Jan 7th. Now disabled.

If it was one of us (an error), apologies.

If it was you, you should check the bottom of your slippers to be double sure that you aren't sleepwalking.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I posted this today: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/animal-escapes.13810/page-5#post-1935720
But the Thread: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/animal-escapes.13810/ isn't showing under General Cryptology.
I can find the Thread if I search for Animal Escapes in the text but not if I only search for the title.
I can't replicate the issues you describe.

The "Animal Escapes" thread is listed as expected in Cryptozoology: General.
I can readily find it using the forum's Search facility, limited to titles only (with and without enclosing quotation marks).
The "Animal Escapes" thread is listed early in the search results when searching on these two words (as a quoted string or not).

However ...

Your latest post is not showing up in this last listing as a hit in a non-title search. That won't happen until the forum's search database goes through its next update cycle and your post is known to be affiliated with the thread.

The word "escapes" does not appear in your post. If you search using "escapes" there's no hit on your latest post. If you search using "escape", the latest post is included in the search results.

This different behavior occurs because the Search can identify "escape" as a subsidiary string within "escapes" (in the thread title) and thus generate a hit using "escape." The reverse is not true - the Search cannot (and should not) associate the longer text string "escapes" with a shorter text string.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I posted this today: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/animal-escapes.13810/page-5#post-1935720

But the Thread: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/animal-escapes.13810/ isn't showing under General Cryptology.

I can find the Thread if I search for Animal Escapes in the text but not if I only search for the title.
I tend to use the Rynner method: go to the Google search page (yes, I know he didn't use Google), type the title of the thread you're looking for adding forteana forum at the end, hit the search button and click on that link to take you directly to your desired thread .. it's a lot less 'fussy' than the search function here.

edit: having said that, I've just tried to re find this thread using that method and it didn't work.

I can't replicate the issues you describe.

The "Animal Escapes" thread is listed as expected in Cryptozoology: General.
I can readily find it using the forum's Search facility, limited to titles only (with and without enclosing quotation marks).
The "Animal Escapes" thread is listed early in the search results when searching on these two words (as a quoted string or not).

However ...

Your latest post is not showing up in this last listing as a hit in a non-title search. That won't happen until the forum's search database goes through its next update cycle and your post is known to be affiliated with the thread.

The word "escapes" does not appear in your post. If you search using "escapes" there's no hit on your latest post. If you search using "escape", the latest post is included in the search results.

This different behavior occurs because the Search can identify "escape" as a subsidiary string within "escapes" (in the thread title) and thus generate a hit using "escape." The reverse is not true - the Search cannot (and should not) associate the longer text string "escapes" with a shorter text string.
When I search the titles for Animal Escapes I get the odd result in Screenshot 2 below.

When I go to the General Cryptology Page my post shows on the right hand column as being latest post, Screenshot 3
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png
. But when I then click on General Cryptology the Animal Ecsapes THread doesn't show. It may be a quirk with my pc/browser, I'm using Chrome.

Screenshot (2).png

EnolaGaia

Staff member
When I search the titles for Animal Escapes I get the odd result in Screenshot 2 below.
When I go to the General Cryptology Page my post shows on the right hand column as being latest post, Screenshot 3. But when I then click on General Cryptology the Animal Ecsapes THread doesn't show. It may be a quirk with my pc/browser, I'm using Chrome.
I still can't reproduce the behavior you describe.

Double-check that you're using the latest version of Chrome and Flash Player. I don't know about the Chrome bit, but I have (completely different / unrelated) reasons to wonder if there's something amiss or in need of updating that involves Flash.

Edit to Add:

Did you click on the "Show ignored content" link to see what might happen?

I still can't reproduce the behavior you describe.

Double-check that you're using the latest version of Chrome and Flash Player. I don't know about the Chrome bit, but I have (completely different / unrelated) reasons to wonder if there's something amiss or in need of updating that involves Flash.

Edit to Add:

Did you click on the "Show ignored content" link to see what might happen?
When I clicked Show Ignored on the search, Animal Escapes showed up but it made no difference inside General Cryptology. I'll try a new Chrome later.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
*knocks politely on the door of Mod HQ*

:curt:

Could you perhaps assist me with a problem that's been annoying me for a few days? I thought it would go away on its own but apparently not.

I always have the 'stay logged in' thing ticked so whenever I open up my browser I can just go to the site and I'm already in. I am also usually able to open several tabs of the site at once (i.e. different topics I want to read) with no issue.

But for the last few days, it seems that as soon as I have more than one tab open, the page shows this message at the bottom:
1584887548794.png

And then when I reload the page I find I am no longer logged in.

Do you know why this might be? As far as I am aware nothing has changed on my internet (have not changed provider or anything) nor have I changed computer or browser.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member

Could you perhaps assist me with a problem that's been annoying me for a few days? I thought it would go away on its own but apparently not.

I always have the 'stay logged in' thing ticked so whenever I open up my browser I can just go to the site and I'm already in. I am also usually able to open several tabs of the site at once (i.e. different topics I want to read) with no issue.

But for the last few days, it seems that as soon as I have more than one tab open, the page shows this message at the bottom:
View attachment 24362

Do you know why this might be? As far as I am aware nothing has changed on my internet (have not changed provider or anything) nor have I changed computer or browser.
Not something I would have a scooby’s on, will pass it on to the top minds in the field.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

View attachment 24362

I've never seen this message before.

What browser are you using to access the site?

At the very minimum, to save us delving unnecessarily, please log-out, remove the cookies for this website (or just all cookies if you don't know how to delete them individually), then delete your browser cache, log back in and try to generate the error again.

EnolaGaia

Staff member

a75478a66664e61f61aa1b2946c9d097.jpg

Yes? ...

Could you perhaps assist me with a problem that's been annoying me for a few days? I thought it would go away on its own but apparently not. ...
You are arriving at the forum from a variety of different dynamically-assigned IP addresses. In other words, each time you come here you appear to be arriving from a different place. This is particularly probable if you're using a wireless connection on your end of the path. Such shifts in ascribed IP addressing can even occur within a single session.

Therefore, here's my first guess ...

Somewhere along the connection path between you and the forum site (not necessarily here on our end) the shifts in IP addressing make for differences in ascribing your online identity, and whatever system is involved is asking you to reload so as to re-establish a coherent connection where the IP addressing matches the last known user attribution / location.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

You are arriving at the forum from a variety of different dynamically-assigned IP addresses. In other words, each time you come here you appear to be arriving from a different place. This is particularly probable if you're using a wireless connection on your end of the path. Such shifts in ascribed IP addressing can even occur within a single session.

Therefore, here's my first guess ...

Somewhere along the connection path between you and the forum site (not necessarily here on our end) the shifts in IP addressing make for differences in ascribing your online identity, and whatever system is involved is asking you to reload so as to re-establish a coherent connection where the IP addressing matches the last known user attribution / location.
Is it possible that the Internet provider is using a VPN to route part of the connection?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Is it possible that the Internet provider is using a VPN to route part of the connection?
Literally - not likely. It would be odd for an ISP to add another level of service burden on its net-facing side of the connection path (unless, of course, the ISP was configured to be extra-stealthy).

VPN involvement would be more likely if Zebs herself were using a VPN service between her home(?) location and the ISP.

Figuratively - the ISP might well be dynamically managing connections between the client-side and the net-side to juggle traffic loads - i.e., shifting the linkage between Zebs' home node and net-side ports. Such juggling would be expected under heavier-than-normal traffic loads such as the ones undoubtedly occurring nowadays with so many people being sequestered at home.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Thanks all for your very swift assistance. (And I like the Mod HQ door!)

As you will see from the screenshot below, I was about to reply to say I'd tried Yithian's suggestion and cleared my browser history and that all seemed fine (even opening a couple of extra tabs of the forum)... but then this message suddenly popped up and I had to refresh the page, which logged me out, and now I'm back in again.

1584893308381.png

Browser I'm using is Opera (it is missed off from the screenshot). More info in the screenshot re: vpn and wifi.

If it is a dynamic IP address problem thingy, is there anything I can do at my end about it?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
... If it is a dynamic IP address problem thingy, is there anything I can do at my end about it?
Using wifi is undoubtedly part of the cause for your IP turbulence. To the extent it's the cause it could well be alleviated by switching to the cable connection. However ...

There's a significant likelihood there's other juggling / shifting occurring between your home setup and the forum server, and nothing you do at home is likely to affect this intermediate juggling.

For the record ... You're recorded as arriving / connecting from 14 different IP addresses during the last 7 days.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Using wifi is undoubtedly part of the cause for your IP turbulence. To the extent it's the cause it could well be alleviated by switching to the cable connection. However ...

There's a significant likelihood there's other juggling / shifting occurring between your home setup and the forum server, and nothing you do at home is likely to affect this intermediate juggling.
Okay... many thanks for your (and other mods) help with this, I appreciate the effort and time when you have lots of other stuff to deal with.

In that case I shall put up with it until/unless I can situate myself closer to the router (and therefore plug myself in).

For the record ... You're recorded as arriving / connecting from 14 different IP addresses during the last 7 days.
That is something that only a Schrodinger's Zebra can achieve. ;)

INT21

Antediluvian
Okay... many thanks for your (and other mods) help with this, I appreciate the effort and time when you have lots of other stuff to deal with.

In that case I shall put up with it until/unless I can situate myself closer to the router (and therefore plug myself in).

That is something that only a Schrodinger's Zebra can achieve. ;)
And no one can tell until they look. ;)

EnolaGaia

Staff member
If you have it in the form of a valid URL (web address) such as:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...blems-known-issues.64966/page-19#post-1948667
(The URL for your post above)

You can simply paste the URL into the body of your post. Your post will display the raw URL, automatically ready for use.

If you want to hot-link a title or phrase for the link (e.g., hot-link using the title "CLICK HERE"):

- Click on the link (chain) icon in the post text entry area.
- Enter the URL and the Text.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
If you have it in the form of a valid URL (web address) such as:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...blems-known-issues.64966/page-19#post-1948667
(The URL for your post above)

You can simply paste the URL into the body of your post. Your post will display the raw URL, automatically ready for use.

If you want to hot-link a title or phrase for the link (e.g., hot-link using the title "CLICK HERE"):

- Click on the link (chain) icon in the post text entry area.
- Enter the URL and the Text.
I dont see a paste button in the reply area.