Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I wasn't suggesting it was. Because of the actions of one user, a whole load of other (innocent) IP addresses can get banned. Collateral damage.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Brownmane has provided us with the key missing clue we'd come to focus upon after ruling out a number of other things, and her access problems should be resolved now.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Hi. I just want to let you know of this problem:

Last evening about 10pm EST I was not able to access the forum due to my "IP address (being) banned". I couldn't contact the forum because of this. I sent an email help request to CFI in the hopes that someone would be able to forward my email to a moderator.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem. Today I am on, but not from home. I don't yet know if I can get on from home. Hopefully, it's ok.
Kudos and many thanks to Enola for working diligently the last few days with my problem. I can now access the forum from home.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Reaction score
Sorry to say this but I think thread titles could be truncated and retain some of the originality and style of the original poster. This place is coming across as too dry and added to that, the new thread titles are cut short on other media like phones and IPads. Short, snappy and witty please In future. We’re not all dusty librarians you know.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Kudos and many thanks to Enola for working diligently the last few days with my problem. I can now access the forum from home.
:badge::cheer: :hapdan: :fhtagn:

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Odd question here, more out of curiosity than anything else.... I use Microsoft OneNote frequently for personal notes. Just a little bit ago, I highlighted some text from there, ctrl + C, then ctrl + V into a post I was making here. The forum seemed to think I was trying to paste an image and treated it accordingly.

I deleted it and just typed it up manually, but I was wondering if anyone knew why that was. I can paste that same text into anything else and it treats it just like ordinary text.

Not a big deal at all, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Given your example there are multiple junctures at which the content of a copy / paste attempt could fail to be recognized by the receiving app:

- What your operating system "interprets" as the glob of data you selected and copied within OneNote;
- What your browser interprets as the OS's interpretation of the data glob being fed into an online transaction; and
- What the forum's (XenForo) resident editing routines interpret as the browser's interpretation of the glob being pasted into a forum editing pane.

I've seen the same effect in trying to copy and paste content from (e.g.) webpages, PDF files, and files open in any of a number of apps.

OneNote uses a proprietary file format involving a lot of OneNote-specific embedded formatting code. My guess is that your browser and / or XenForo were trying to transfer a data glob that only OneNote might find sensible.

It's common for apps and online services to presume that an arbitrary / unrecognizable glob of digital data must be a single chunk that is most likely a unary object like an image or "clipping", and default to treating it as such.

As long as you're operating in a purely Microsoft environment (OS; apps) such transfers among apps are transparent within that proprietary milieu. This transparency fails when you reach out to export something into an app or service external to this proprietary milieu.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Odd question here, more out of curiosity than anything else.... I use Microsoft OneNote frequently for personal notes. Just a little bit ago, I highlighted some text from there, ctrl + C, then ctrl + V into a post I was making here. The forum seemed to think I was trying to paste an image and treated it accordingly.

I deleted it and just typed it up manually, but I was wondering if anyone knew why that was. I can paste that same text into anything else and it treats it just like ordinary text.

Not a big deal at all, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.
I just tried it with OneNote and it did the same for me.
I'm just guessing, but OneNote may be storing the text as XML, surrounding the text with all kinds of tags.
The Windows clipboard is converting it to a bitmap for some reason, possibly because the message board software can't interpret the XML (so instead, the clipboard passes over a bitmapped version).

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Given your example there are multiple junctures at which the content of a copy / paste attempt could fail to be recognized by the receiving app:

- What your operating system "interprets" as the glob of data you selected and copied within OneNote;
- What your browser interprets as the OS's interpretation of the data glob being fed into an online transaction; and
- What the forum's (XenForo) resident editing routines interpret as the browser's interpretation of the glob being pasted into a forum editing pane.

I've seen the same effect in trying to copy and paste content from (e.g.) webpages, PDF files, and files open in any of a number of apps.

OneNote uses a proprietary file format involving a lot of OneNote-specific embedded formatting code. My guess is that your browser and / or XenForo were trying to transfer a data glob that only OneNote might find sensible.

It's common for apps and online services to presume that an arbitrary / unrecognizable glob of digital data must be a single chunk that is most likely a unary object like an image or "clipping", and default to treating it as such.

As long as you're operating in a purely Microsoft environment (OS; apps) such transfers among apps are transparent within that proprietary milieu. This transparency fails when you reach out to export something into an app or service external to this proprietary milieu.
Enola, Mytho, thanks both for that. I figured it was something regarding tags around the text. Apparently Facebook, for example, just ignores those. Good to know!

My thirst for knowledge has been slaked. :)

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Today I Learned....

Today I learned that when you highlight a select part of a post, then click the quote button on the bottom right, it automatically only copies the highlighted text as a quote.

Here, like a caveman, I've been quoting whole messages, then deleting everything unnecessary. I feel a bit silly right now.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Although this is an HTTPS website, I notice that many pages say 'not secure'.
It's probably not a problem, but I thought I should point it out.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Although this is an HTTPS website, I notice that many pages say 'not secure'.
It's probably not a problem, but I thought I should point it out.
Yes, this has been pointed out.

We don't believe it is a concern.

This board is more secure than any of its previous incarnations, but your browser wasn't programmed to nag you about them as it now is.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
Did you know...

that if you click the automatically hyperlinked location on a member's profile, a Google map will open up in a new tab revealing where that member is posting from?

I didn't know that.

<-- try it.

I think that is interesting.

If you don't want the world to know where you actually live, leave the LOCATION option blank.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you know...
that if you click the automatically hyperlinked location on a member's profile, a Google map will open up in a new tab revealing where that member is posting from? ...
Yes / no / sorta ...

The hyperlink generates a Google Maps search on the name of any place listed in the Location entry. If a unique or probable name match is found, a Google Map opens up to display the named place.

For example, Ringo lists his location as Stockholm. This will cause a map of the greater Stockholm area to appear.

Yithian lists his location as "East of Suez." Clicking on the link produces a listing of restaurants and other enterprises that use the name "East of Suez." The same sort of thing happens when clicking on my "Out of Bounds."

A Location entry that's just a random allusion without any geographical correlations (e.g., Mytho's "In a spaceship ...") will get an error message because Google Maps doesn't recognize the Location entry as an actual place name.

Bottom Line: A recognized Location entry will trigger a Google Map for the named locale - regardless of that named locale's size / extent. It does not provide a map pinpointing the exact location (e.g., street address) at which the member is located or from which he / she is connecting to the forum.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Well. My location entry is not a location name and clicking on the phrase still brings up map of my area. Is this necessary? Do we have to just leave it blank for anonymity? Who cares about the map anyway?

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Well. My location entry is not a location name and clicking on the phrase still brings up map of my area. Is this necessary? Do we have to just leave it blank for anonymity? Who cares about the map anyway?
I think that could be just Google Maps guessing where you yourself live. And it knows that from your router or whatever. That is to say, if I click on my own location, it knows, and shows my nearest town. But if you click on my location I doubt you'd see where I live... give it a try with mine, who knows? So I think your geo-anonymity is safe.

Last edited:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I think that could be just Google Maps guessing where you yourself live. And it knows that from your router or whatever. That is to say, if I click on my own location, it knows, and shows my nearest town. But if you click on my location I doubt you'd see where I live... give it a try with mine, who knows? So I think your geo-anonymity is safe.
I think you're safe - all the link does is search Google Maps for that named location, taken from the text. I clicked on yours and the link it generated was https://www.google.com/maps?q=generally+on+the+fringes

Which obviously returns nothing.

1599578700503.png

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
I think you're safe - all the link does is search Google Maps for that named location, taken from the text. I clicked on yours and the link it generated was https://www.google.com/maps?q=generally+on+the+fringes

Which obviously returns nothing.

View attachment 29579
Right now I blanked out location, so nowhere to click. It used to be EST on the vague assumption that it might be of use to know what time zone I'm in. If I licked on it I saw a map of my general area. Google certainly does know where my IP address is, but my question is why on this board do we care about a link to Maps at all. If someone lists that he's in Moscow, that's interesting, but it's all I need to know. I don't need to see a specific map.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
The hot-linking of Location entries that permitted calling up a Google Map for locations of record has been disabled.

If you'd not entered anything in the Location field of your member record there was no link and hence no such invocation of a Google Map.

Last edited:

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
You'd be surprised where any website thinks I am at any time. You'd have to be really good at playing "Where's Waldo" to even getting close. It always gives me a good chuckle. Even FB isn't close.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I like people knowing where I am. Maybe i'll get some visitors?
Doubt it though. Mostly the people that knock on MY door are the sort of bible-bashers that are looking for a punch in the throat.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
You'd be surprised where any website thinks I am at any time. You'd have to be really good at playing "Where's Waldo" to even getting close. It always gives me a good chuckle. Even FB isn't close.
Well, the fact that you call him "Waldo" suggests that you're more likely to be in North America than in Europe... :)

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Well, the fact that you call him "Waldo" suggests that you're more likely to be in North America than in Europe... :)
And I do locate myself in Ontario:D

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I couldn't get in for a while. Did the server go down?