Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score
When I’m looking at both the post from Zebs and Iris I can see the smiley and when I insert the smiley on my own post I see it as soon as I’ve inserted it. Strange. Obs I can’t see it on the screenshot Zebs posted.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have to wait and check it later.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Reaction score
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
No, the core databases didn't crash (per se), and it doesn't appear anything was lost or corrupted in the database(s).

Something went wrong with a session data logging file that gets updated multiple times per day. The problem apparently involved a glitch that rendered the file inaccessible or unaddressable, which forced the system to recreate the state of the log (and cumulative logs reliant on its data) from scratch on each update cycle.

The resulting error condition had already been reported, and we were awaiting resolution. In the mean time, the forum kept chugging along with a periodic limp as it repeatedly worked to catch up with itself.

The total outage occurred at the exact time one of these updates would have been undertaken. For whatever reason (an overflow condition?) the limp escalated to a collapse on that go-round, and the whole operation shut down.

The breakdown pertained to high-level administrative record keeping of traffic and transactions (i.e., visits, visitors and postings) - not to the forum's content per se.
D'oh! Who'd have thought a nuclear reactor would be so complicated?
screen-shot-2015-11-23-at-12-55-18.png

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score
I shall have to read that opera forum thread tomorow, or when I'm next better able to take in what I'm reading (it's one of those days).

In the meantime I have tried viewing the smiley in question on my other two available browsers, Chrome and Firefox, and can report - if it helps - that I cannot see the smiley there either. Exact same problem occurs as here on Opera.

So perhaps it's my computer, but tis rather strange because it's the first smiley I've ever had problems with. Typical, as soon as I asked for it!

Really sorry to be causing all this aggro. :sorry:

I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates and Chrome with the latest update.
Still seeing the text only.
Maybe save the icon to a file, rename it to :hahazebs: then re-upload it?
Ooh, just saw your reply as I was about to post this. Thanks for that; I wasn't sure if my measly Windows 8 was going to be the issue but it would appear not.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
It's strange. Why can we see it correctly in the "like" box, but the emoji list doesn't show correctly?
They're not the same thing. The one you see in the 'Like' pop-up is a system-embedded image. It has to be captured and transformed into a generic image file to serve as a smiley / emoticon.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
This is a test... I've redone the smiley as a gif file:
HaHaZebs.gif

EnolaGaia - you could try using this gif as the basis for the system smiley...

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Wonder why mine's OK, but the inventory one is not?
I don't know ... It's a frustrating mystery ...

I've renamed the file in case the dash violated some syntax rule. This is clutching at straws, because other smileys have dashes in their names.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Desolation is all I see
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Good - glad to learn it's resolved ...

It may have taken a while for one or another of the changes I made to be brought online via a server update.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Good - glad to learn it's resolved ...

It may have taken a while for one or another of the changes I made to be brought online via a server update.
It works for me too, except that the one you're using doesn't have a transparent background.
The gif I created has a transparent background.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
I feared a much-worser worse than just the 17-odd hours the forum was down.

Although I'm not as active upon it at present as I'd like to be (due to excessive & nasty IRL) its absence was immediately noted by me, and checked-up on, multiple times per hour.

I'd considered all the most-probable negative possibilities, followed by many of the least-likely extreme situations, then in my final darkest moments of forum fear even contemplated whether angry external forces had taken it down (such as the Falkirk Buskers' Institute or the Carluke Innkeepers Association). But it's back....it lives again! A thousand thankyous to whoever the parachuted-in DBA was, and to whichever switcher at the webhost revived our silenced server....:bdown:
I hope you get your real life sorted out dear, everybody has enough on with this Covid crap, you do not need anything else to compound it, keep safe :angel:

And I would like to thank everyone involved in getting the forum back up and running, :group:
Also like to thank Gordon and Yith for sorting me out :itslove: Cause i cannot remember if i have done it already, crappy memory